User Tag List

Thread: Sharing with people different to yourself

Default Sharing with people different to yourself

Do you feel like you would be less inclined to share with people you have nothing in common with or less in common with than those you believe you have a lot in common with?

I've read that one of the biggest factors militating against welfare states has been up shots in diversity or distinction or distinguishing traits among those subscribing to or using services.

That is to say that some social commentators suggest that when taxpayers were paying for services which they were unlikely to use themselves but which are universally available they were less worried about it when they could safely believe that while they were not using them people much like them were.

In the most vulgar sense this could involve racial or sectarian divisions, so an ethnic or religious majority will not wish to pay taxes for universal services which they believe are used by minorities to which they cant or dont relate. In a more sophisticated sense it could involve real or perceived cultural differences, so particular social classes or status groups will not wish to pay taxes to fund services which they believe are being used by others who do not share key norms or values with respect of employment, work ethics, learning, health consciousness or civility and neighbourliness.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

Yeah, I agree this happens. The mutually abused tend to work together to counteract this though. I think testosterone and estrogen levels play a role in this too as well as other forms of neural integration vs. compartmentilization. I think the more open the person is with you the more reciprocation is encouraged. Someone has to take the first step though and unfortunately it is often the least powerful one out of necessity.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.