User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yeah, but imagine yourself a single parent working two jobs to support your kids. How are you going to have the time and energy resources to do what you need to do?
    Be successful enough to afford care.

Meet someone capable of helping you to raise a child.

Other than that, you might just have to do the best you can.

EDIT - I know there are single parents out there that have raised awesome kids. It's not impossible, just vastly more difficult.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I think a lot of this revolves around what kind of home culture a family has.

I had more than a few Asian friends in high school whose parents were from lower socioeconomic strata, but their folks still held them to really high academic standards, and generally played an active role in raising their kids.

Those kids are now doing just fine for themselves.
    Almost 50% of the students I went to highschool with were asian growing up. These were close friends whose houses I would go to for birthday parties and such. Believe me that culture has A LOT of problems within it (not to stereotype or say all asian people are the same way). A lot of my friends would get spanked growing up for not getting straight As. Also, there is a lot of physical and emotional abuse in asian cultures. Particularly in chinese culture it is paramount for children (especially eldest males) to take care of their parents. If they do not, they are "shamed" (look us shame vs guilt culture if not familiar) because of this kind of stuff the rate of suicide is HUGE.

Your answer to these types of problems seems to be "tough luck" do the best you can which is extremely naive. The pressure this creates in most people is what causes a lot of society's social ills like drug/alcohol abuse, sexual abuse, physical violence that have very real emotional, cognitive, and FINANCIAL costs to them. When people are under stress their bodies begin pumping out cortisol which decreases immune function, impairs memory formation, causes distractability (which leads to increased problems in school, work, with health, accidents).

Thanks, but the kind of society I LIVE in (and wish for others) is one you know, that is happy, more emotionally (and thus intellectually) developed, has a higher QUALITY of life (not survival), and is soulful and cool. This is why "pure" NT bullshit about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and how you the little man being shat on by society has a responsibility to the greater whole is laughable lol and made of lose. To -ANYONE- saying that, I say go fuck yourself.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Thanks, but the kind of society I LIVE in (and wish for others) is one you know, that is happy, more emotionally (and thus intellectually) developed, has a higher QUALITY of life (not survival), and is soulful and cool. This is why "pure" NT bullshit about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and how you the little man being shat on by society has a responsibility to the greater whole is laughable lol and made of lose. To -ANYONE- saying that, I say go fuck yourself.
    You've been on the site for all of like 5 minutes.

You have literally zero understanding of my stance on welfare, and social programs.

Get down off the cross we need the wood for the fire.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Lol hardly. Just tired of conservofag "victimization." Had to learn to fake empathy with those gayfags to pursue my goals.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Be successful enough to afford care.
    lmao @ this.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    its kind of sad when people who are told if they work hard, pick themselves off the ground, if they do right they will be successful. the ones who done no one wrong in their life and continually do and are treated with the least amount of dignity and never make it to become successful. what of them? the only sin they committed was being born black or some other color?
    It's not just a matter of color. I've been around "privileged" people, through an internship in an international NGO (I was basically the only one who didn't come from at least an upper middle class family). It has to do with connections, with general attitude towards life, with how many languages do you know - in europe, at least -, which school you went to, if you speak american or british english - the latter being preferred due to its "elegance" (meh).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's not just a matter of color. I've been around "privileged" people, through an internship in an international NGO (I was basically the only one who didn't come from at least an upper middle class family). It has to do with connections, with general attitude towards life, with how many languages do you know - in europe, at least -, which school you went to, if you speak american or british english - the latter being preferred due to its "elegance" (meh).
    which do you speak, btw?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    which do you speak, btw?
    Definitely american. The difference in perception is striking (curiously, most international firms actually have american english as working language)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Definitely american. The difference in perception is striking (curiously, most international firms actually have american english as working language)
    american?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Many immigrants manage to succeed in the US yet still maintain a connection to their heritage.

I'm certain the problem isn't insurmountable.
    Oh it's not, they just have a much more difficult time of things and while something's can't be avoided, I just really hate the fact that one of the things they are going to have to deal with is not being part of "the group"

It just seems really unfair but also unavoidable. I think it's human natural classify people into groups, particular people that are not inside of our own group. How do you overcome that?
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson