User Tag List

Default Public life and physique?

I'm not sure if it was Plato or Socrates once haranged someone for being out of shape and associated it with a lack of social/public conscience or patriotism, what do you think? Is your health entirely your own business or is there any social side to it at all?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

In response to the question Lark posed, i'm not sure.

I do know that I'm not thrilled about subsidizing our nations diabetes treatments with taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    In response to the question Lark posed, i'm not sure.

I do know that I'm not thrilled about subsidizing our nations diabetes treatments with taxes.
    Would you subsidise gym attendence or personal trainers in preference to school phys ed classes? Would it matter if it was less money on balance to managing diabetes?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Would you subsidise gym attendence or personal trainers in preference to school phys ed classes? Would it matter if it was less money on balance to managing diabetes?
    First and foremost, as long as the results are the same or better, spending less money always matters.

If those conditions were met, yea I would subsidize it, I still wouldn't be happy about it, but less $ is less $.

It pisses me off that so much heal care $ is increasingly going towards problems that people bring on themselves like obesity etc.

I actually like the concept of a single payer system (not the ACA).

Where that system begins to bother me is when the money that I pay in to that pool goes to someone getting treatments because he couldn't put down the fucking fork, or get off the couch.

I'm fine with chipping in because someone got hit by a car or fell down some stairs, but this shit is ridiculous.

I'll need to think about this more before I have any ideas as to what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    First and foremost, as long as the results are the same or better, spending less money always matters.

If those conditions were met, yea I would subsidize it, I still wouldn't be happy about it, but less $ is less $.

It pisses me off that so much heal care $ is increasingly going towards problems that people bring on themselves like obesity etc.

I actually like the concept of a single payer system (not the ACA).

Where that system begins to bother me is when the money that I pay in to that pool goes to someone getting treatments because he couldn't put down the fucking fork, or get off the couch.

I'm fine with chipping in because someone got hit by a car or fell down some stairs, but this shit is ridiculous.

I'll need to think about this more before I have any ideas as to what to do about it.
    What about a system in which treatement is fast tracked to those who are physically fit or sober etc.?

Would you feel the same way about someone who has taken a risk, for instance a rock climber who has fallen and now must have treatment, or is it simply personal neglect which grinds your gears?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What about a system in which treatement is fast tracked to those who are physically fit or sober etc.?
    What do you mean by fast tracked?

If you mean what I think you mean, then no, probably not.

Would you feel the same way about someone who has taken a risk, for instance a rock climber who has fallen and now must have treatment, or is it simply personal neglect which grinds your gears?
    The fallen climber doesn't bug me.

When the person knowingly and repeatedly chooses behavior that is likely to lead to a chronic and hugely expensive condition, and then expects competitively priced coverage which has to be made up for by all the healthy people, it pisses me off.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

If you are more social, you will go out more, do more things and probably not get so fat. Also the more you go out, the more you are conciouse about your appearence and if you started to notice yourself get fat you would probably do somehting about it. To "let go" of yourself is to kind of, in a way, release your social inhabitions.

although you kinda lost me at patriotism
    1+1=3 OMFG