User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Public fitness and fitness training in schools?

What was your experience of fitness classes in school? Do you think it turned you off fitness per se or sports? Do you think that this has anything to do with the obescity epidemics? Do you think there's any other structural causes or contributing factors to obescity?

I dont think its simply consumerism, consumerism can actually popularise sports and fitness in some ways, not that I believe it is sufficient or even operates in the ways its biggest supporters are hopeful of it working.

Although I do think that consumerism among other trends do make people passive or oral-receptive personality types.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What was your experience of fitness classes in school? Do you think it turned you off fitness per se or sports? Do you think that this has anything to do with the obescity epidemics? Do you think there's any other structural causes or contributing factors to obescity?

I dont think its simply consumerism, consumerism can actually popularise sports and fitness in some ways, not that I believe it is sufficient or even operates in the ways its biggest supporters are hopeful of it working.

Although I do think that consumerism among other trends do make people passive or oral-receptive personality types.
    Good. No. I think the decline of recess/gym in schools has some effect. One structural cause of obesity that I see is how the corn subsidy in the US makes HFCS so cheap to basically put in to everything, and it's terrible for you. Otherwise, I think a lot of it is a lack of education on diet/nutrition, a trend towards more sedentary entertainment due to technology innovation, and that "bad food" is typically quicker and cheaper to get than healthier alternatives.

Dont think I'm going to bother posting another thread for a long, long time.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I was too cynical to really believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I was too cynical to really believe that.
    Me too, but I am also too unkind not to bring it up.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

I think that the most important factor is the home, and the structures in place there.

I don't think fitness classes in school really make much of a difference to the fitness (or even habits) of its students... but that's also by my experience - we did one and a half hours of compulsory sport per week, and 50 minutes of swimming per week, up to the age of 16. The activities were more focused on building skill and working as a team than increasing levels of fitness. I went to an all-girls school, and with that territory came a lot of focus on image, beauty and weight. In my early teens, I was chubby and had pretty poor self-esteem and body image, and sometimes the stuff we had to do could feel pretty demoralising. One time we did a quasi-triathlon, where we swam, cycled on stationary bikes, then had to run around the school's oval and the school's perimeter. The school was next to a big highway, and it was pretty humiliating running in a swimsuit in front of the drivers and your peers on a cold day.

Too much focus on weight loss and obesity in the media seems to also have negative effects. Here, the Biggest Loser is one of the most popular shows. Airing at around 7 PM, a lot of kids also watch it, and with the show's popularity, there's also been a big increase in eating disorders in kids <13 in my country. I think the key is to promote fitness over weight loss, and to promote fitness as something that is recreational, social, important for their self-respect and self-care, and also enjoyable. Kids should learn this at home, and the best way to do this is for parents and siblings to demonstrate this. Eating wholesome food, making eating and exercising social activities to me seem to be the healthiest and most effective approach.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

step #1. Fucking teach girls how to throw a ball PROPERLY
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    INTJ

I think that fitness in schools is largely worthless because they're just going through the motions and putting on a show. There's no real effort going on to actually improve the fitness of those students. With that said, even the shitty fitness programs that most schools have is better (slightly) than nothing.

I think most people don't realize how quickly they can get out of shape. It seems like, for most people, once the mandatory exercise goes away, no real thought is given to actual fitness (not to be confused with fatness) until they find themselves doing something vaguely exercise-ish and realize how much they suck after not doing it for years.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I was ignored by the P.E. instructors. They focused their energies on the kids in extracurricular sports and left the rest of us to our own devices. Perhaps coaches should be restricted to coaching and teaching sport-specific classes and P.E. instructors should be teaching general P.E. to focus on improving individual ability, health, and overall fitness. Would like to see more females in health education too.

Sick of the image-obsession and athletic achievement obsession, which I think are often mixed up with health and fitness. They are not the same.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I did learn how to play tennis (and volleyball?) which was cool. Not that I'm good at it but I know how it works. I definitely wouldn't otherwise.

Most of it is a waste of time unless you actually teach me something.

My kids actually learned to ride a unicycle. That's fooking awesome.

I asked my middle schoolers. Their answer: "It's better than health"