User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default CA Bill Proposes that Patients Be Informed of "Ex-Gay" Therapy Dangers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1450369.html

In what could be a potential blow to the "ex-gay" movement, a proposed California bill seeks to protect gay patients from the mental and physical harms of so-called "reparative" therapies.

Written by Sen. Ted Lieu and sponsored by the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocacy group Equality California, Senate Bill 1172 would force psychotherapists to tell gay patients about the various harms of undertaking any the so-called "gay therapies," according to LA Weekly.

Think Progress reports that the law would not outright ban all ex-gay therapy, but if passed, would prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from undergoing any sexual orientation change efforts. In addition, all therapists will also require a patient's consent before proceeding with the therapy...
    What I found ironic (and thus more interesting) that this doesn't sound very different than vocal pro-lifers (who do typically end up in this country being part of the anti-gay crowd as well) pushing for female patients to be informed of the horrible impact of abortion on their bodies and and increasing control of the state/doctor over the female patient's choices/body. It comes across that it's fine for the state to intrude on choice as long as it aligns with one's preheld religious values.

As stated later in the article:

...One witness at a hearing this week spoke on behalf of the National Association for the Research and Therapy of Homosexuality, or NARTH, citing two studies that have been debunked and disavowed, Think Progress notes.

"While this is a direct assault on everyone's freedom it is also a not so subtle attack on religious liberty," NARTH officials wrote in an email alert. "Individuals of faith often seeking to live lives congruent with their religious convictions are often motivated to seek help for their homosexual attractions. This type of legislation would in effect criminalize those formerly ethical relationships between a client and their therapist unless those interactions were supervised by agents of the state."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Ehmm, what exactly does it mean that the therapist now needs the patient's consent before proceeding with the "treatment"? I thought the days of Alan Turing were over.*

Anyway, it seems to me that the new regulation in no way infringes on religious freedom. It merely protects the patient's rights by providing him with information on the risks of what he is about to do. That seems necessary because there is a lot of misinformation about this flying around. If they still think it's a good idea and they really want to wast time and money on something that has been proven not to work and even cause damage, more power to them.

*Yes, I know, it probably just means they need a consent form, the article's phrasing just struck me as odd.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ehmm, what exactly does it mean that the therapist now needs the patient's consent before proceeding with the "treatment"? I thought the days of Alan Turing were over.*
    Not sure, but I think currently minors can be "sent to ex-gay therapy" [sometimes away from home, in restricted settings] by over-zealous parents who are trying to make their kids not gay. I'm wondering if this consent is something that includes minors, so that they can choose whether or not to attend.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What I found ironic (and thus more interesting) that this doesn't sound very different than vocal pro-lifers (who do typically end up in this country being part of the anti-gay crowd as well) pushing for female patients to be informed of the horrible impact of abortion on their bodies and and increasing control of the state/doctor over the female patient's choices/body. It comes across that it's fine for the state to intrude on choice as long as it aligns with one's preheld religious values.

As stated later in the article:
    Stop noticing both sides of the issues!!!! Tow the line!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Stop noticing both sides of the issues!!!! Tow the line!
    ... lol... sorry, I can't HELP it.
    It's a disease I have!

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Ahh, informed consent. Tis a shame it's not an ethical medical priority without needing to become law.

In the case of abortion, I think it's more for clinics who accept Title programs to help fund abortions, like Planned Parenthood, etc. You accept state/fed money, you accept state/fed involvement.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes, social conservatives of this brand are highly selective in what the government should keep out of, and what it should get involved with. This is a major inconsistency that undercuts their whole platform, at least for anyone able to analyze the situation objectively. (Sadly, this excludes far too much of the voting public.)

Liberals have their own brand of inconsistency, championing individual liberties, but then supporting all manner of regulation designed to protect the average person from his/her own stupidity. They should just acknowledge the futility of this goal, and accept that there will be more candidates for the Darwin award. We don't all need to be reduced to some lowest common denominator.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Liberals have their own brand of inconsistency, championing individual liberties, but then supporting all manner of regulation designed to protect the average person from his/her own stupidity. They should just acknowledge the futility of this goal, and accept that there will be more candidates for the Darwin award. We don't all need to be reduced to some lowest common denominator.
    I've been feeling this way more and more, I think, on a personal level (i.e., there has to be some basic level of proficiency below which it seems so pointless to throw money and resources at people). Does that make me a bad person?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've been feeling this way more and more, I think, on a personal level (i.e., there has to be some basic level of proficiency below which it seems so pointless to throw money and resources at people). Does that make me a bad person?
    That makes you sane, not a bad person.