User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

This seems to have been a serious issue for transgender people so I think this was sorely needed.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I have seen you post about this a lot, speed, but I don't think I've seen a reason you are so upset about it. I'm interested, what bothers you so much? Do you get angry at hermaphrodites (intersexed)?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/federal-agency...063817599.html

This is kind of a big deal, as EEOC ruling (employment protection) to transgendered people under the ruling of Title VII in the United States. Until now, there has been no uniform guidance on what is considered discrimination towards transgendered people in the professional workplace, unless the state or local ordinances had provided it.

Because of that, it's very typical for transgendered people to not be hired and/or to be let go for not conforming to gender standards. (For transsexuals, this means that even those who still fit within the normal gender spectrum of their identified gender could still be discriminated against just because of a gender they formerly presented as.)

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-2...t_transge.html

It should be noted that this is more a solidification of a position the courts have been increasingly taking over the last twenty years, rather than something being newly introduced. [Just 2-3 years ago, the IRS also declared that surgery expenses for reassignment, as long as indicated by the casework, was deductible as a medical expense. And the Federal Gov already protects against gender identity discrimination internally.] It just has never been officially clarified by the EEOC before. So transgenders who were discriminated against / were fired simply for being trans vs their professional abilities and behavior had little recourse under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act to sue for damages or reinstatement of their position. Now that option exists, just as it would for anyone being dismissed for alleged sexism. The court is asserting that gender should have no bearing whatsoever on someone's hiring or dismissal.

The most thorough/informative article right now I've seen on it and its interlocking with ENDA, exploration of past precedent that has led to this decision, etc., can be found at Metro Weekly:
    http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=7288

Article about Mia & Trish Macy:
    http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=7287
    Living things don't have a gender. Quit supporting the screwing up of the English language.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I find it a little shocking that this has not been addressed until now. Has there never been any type of legislation put forth about this before?
    Yeah I thought this was bizarre. I know very little about law, but I am not sure why places are not prohibited from blanket discrimination in the first place. I don't see why you'd have to specify.

Scientific study and personal awareness have borne out the truth that most prejudices are emotional in nature. This neither validates or invalidates the opinion, but shines a different light on one's perspective.

As for the op, I wonder if this will affect how companies are allowed to enforce their dress code. A unisex uniform policy may start to become more commonplace as a result to avoid "uncomfortable" situations, yes/no? That's my theory of the day.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Would you guys please stay on topic?

Don't make me split the thread (again!)...I'm too tired for that right now
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    As for the op, I wonder if this will affect how companies are allowed to enforce their dress code. A unisex uniform policy may start to become more commonplace as a result to avoid "uncomfortable" situations, yes/no? That's my theory of the day.
    Hooray! Uniforms!
    The military already does this, of course.

I don't think there's much issue in regards to transsexuals, who tend to fit into either bucket and who the law mostly seems to help. Transgendered (which includes all categories including gender variants) can range into the gender-queer realm, which is probably the most unsettling for people. And you're right, who knows what the long-term impact on company dress code could be?

The fed gov right now seems to have casual fare, depending on where you work. The facility where I work is pretty lax.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hooray! Uniforms!
    The military already does this, of course.

I don't think there's much issue in regards to transsexuals, who tend to fit into either bucket and who the law mostly seems to help. Transgendered (which includes all categories including gender variants) can range into the gender-queer realm, which is probably the most unsettling for people. And you're right, who knows what the long-term impact on company dress code could be?

The fed gov right now seems to have casual fare, depending on where you work. The facility where I work is pretty lax.
    Ironically yeah, my new govt job is way more lax on dresscode than my old company was. My old job had very specific dress code rules for men and different ones for women, which was often a source of complaint for the men. I don't see how gender specific dress codes can be enforced in the future. I knew a guy that insisted on wearing a kilt (he wasn't Scottish, but eh) and another that insisted on nailpolish and they were suspended at school and their jobs sent them home. I really foresee gender neutral restrictions in the future to avoid "gray areas" such as this.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Derail moved to own thread.

Most of it could have been graveyarded, but I'm feeling generous tonight. Now behave!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari