User Tag List

Default Political violence, what is your line in the sand?

What do you think about political violence? Is it just another sort of crime? What is your line in the sand? When would you consider becoming violent yourself? Or would you ever?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What do you think about political violence?
    Appropriate in an exceedingly small number of situations.

When would you consider becoming violent yourself? Or would you ever?
    Certainly.

What is your line in the sand?
    Have you ever heard the story of the boiling frog?

A person is trying to boil a frog, but every time they try to put the frog in the boiling water, it hops back out. So instead, they let the water cool to room temperature and put the frog back in and slowly turn the heat up. The frog never jumps out.

That frog is much like civil liberties (and to a certain extent freedom) in the US. It's going out not with a bang, but a whimper, and we wont realize it's gone until it's too late.

My line in the sand would probably revolve around some sort of domestic surveillance initiative, or more remotely some sort of gun ban legislation.

It's hard to know where the line is until it's been crossed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

We should require the politicians to fight in the wars they start. And not in the seat of general but with the foot solders. Let the tree of justice get its fair share of fertilizer.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    ...My line in the sand would probably revolve around some sort of domestic surveillance initiative, or more remotely some sort of gun ban legislation.

That is some extremely low threshold for one to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i think alot of people want to just fight for the rights they care about and screw the rest. never mind women not being able to have abortions but no way, you are going to touch me gunz!!!

its only a matter of time before gun rights are attacked, its going to come from a place least expected
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I would definitely become violent, but only if I thought the group I was fighting for had a chance to win.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I would definitely become violent, but only if I thought the group I was fighting for had a chance to win.
    true neutral?

this is sorta roguish.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post

That is some extremely low threshold for one to have.
    Well, on the face of it, we've had both domestic surveillance initiatives (patriot acts) and gun bans like the one DC used to have yet I haven't risen in action against the gov't. (see D.C. v. Heller for more info)

The tactics the government takes in pursuing the policies mentioned above are what would spark my action against the gov't.

For instance, if the government (or agents thereof) ever decided to take it upon themselves to take all semi-automatic rifles back from the populace. They would get them back bullets first.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What do you think about political violence? Is it just another sort of crime? What is your line in the sand? When would you consider becoming violent yourself? Or would you ever?
    Having served in the military, I understand and accept the need for violence in certain circumstances. I would draw the line at violence against non-combatants. That is how I distinguish between a terrorist and a "freedom fighter" (for lack of a better term).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

To clarify my point a little bit.

I'm not certain if I personally would respond violently if the gov't came to take my AR15, but I do know (for a fact) that others would.

More specifically, I do know that I would be considering it seriously at that point, but until it happens I don't know exactly how I would respond.

A lot of my decision to rise in violence against the gov't would revolve around whether or not others were doing the same, and other unknown unknowns.

It would be much harder for me to construct a hypothetical situation under my domestic surveillance eventuality.