User Tag List

First 123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Well, we could give the government unlimited power to monitor all communications/writings/etc (CISPA). Maybe the Norwegian government could have read his email and locked him up before he had a chance to kill anyone.
    Yeah because that what I meant, what is it with you guys and the simplistic preprepared answers, there's more to thinking than being the best broken gramophone you can be.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    How do you protect children against people like the Norway Nazi?

I assume Lark means ‘how does one protect children against violence’.

One way is to enact legislation against guns and bomb-making materials, because you can't kill so many otherwise.

Another way is to create a much less porous social safety net that is capable of seeing people such as the shooter and ameliorating their social circumstances so as to avoid the type of psychological damage and distortion that leads to violence.
    Such a safety net does not yet exist in any country in the world, but is not impossible.
    ASSume away.

Well that's the trolls and libertarians have no ideas, although I wouldnt exactly be surprised at that...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

OK I also dont understand how assassinating about 77 of what you believe are your choosen elect or pure race or wnatever advances the cause of either conserving that population or assuring its supremacy, surely that's the opposite.

Also this guy shows emotion when shown his propaganda but is remorseless, or I'd say excited when I heard recordings played back, about killing. I think he's a totally necrophilous character structure. In love with dead things, inanimate things, abstract theories and perfectionism.

Its indicative of the love of life dying out or being eclipsed by other things in at least one part of the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah because that what I meant, what is it with you guys and the simplistic preprepared answers, there's more to thinking than being the best broken gramophone you can be.
    You guys? LOL

My response is based on what governments are actually doing (Patriot Act, CISPA, etc).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    ASSume away.

Well that's the trolls and libertarians have no ideas, although I wouldnt exactly be surprised at that...
    I thought I was on your ignore list, so I'm surprised you commented. I guess it's hard to look away when you're naturally narcissistic and self-righteous…
    What do you think the correct answer is? Or did you set up this thread in order to…shoot fish in a barrel? Expose us to your superior orthodoxy? Give us your vaunted opinion about the existence of witches (that's another thread! lol)? What school of heuristics works by waiting for the student to give the wrong answer, then whipping him for his inferiority? Sounds suspiciously close to sadism to me.

No matter. Just put me back on ignore and let me expose your hokum in relative peace.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, aside from over-protection, coddling and restrictions so extreme you're probably hurting their development, you pretty much can't. I grew up in Littleton. I lived there when the Columbine shooting happened and went to the school a few years later. I know people who were there and I know their parents, and they didn't do anything wrong, they obviously didn't flagrantly expose their kids to risk. If I had been born a few years earlier, I would have been there and my parents would have made zero mistakes. But if they had reacted crazily and forbidden me from attending High School out of paranoia and homeschooled me, they would've been making a huge mistake. Those years in school taught me how to make friendships, they provided education and insight my parents probably couldn't have. I grew emotionally and mentally there. They didn't deprive me of that, even though some nutjob that lived literally blocks away had shown us firsthand how theoretically unpredictable and dangerous just sending me off in the morning could potentially be, that never know if you're living next to someone who plans to do something terrible.

So, the Norway Nazi or whatever crazy asshole with a gun that snaps that day or month or year is gonna come. That sucks, but all you can do is hope you or your loved ones aren't in the room when it happens and don't let it run your life anymore than fear of a random meteor or a sudden house collapse would.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    One way is to enact legislation against guns
    What did you have in mind?

and bomb-making materials, because you can't kill so many otherwise.
    Explosives are illegal.

The bomb utilized ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil) as an explosive. Ammonium Nitrate is a common fertilizer used by Agricultural Businesses. And fuel oil (Diesel or gas) is used by everyone.

From wikipedia: Norway Attacks

On 18 May 2009 Breivik registered a sole proprietorship called Breivik Geofarm in order to buy fertilizer without arousing suspicion. Upon registration, Breivik stated that the company would grow vegetables, melons and tubers.[40] The place of business was set to Åmot in Hedmark. On 4 May 2011 Breivik purchased six tons of fertilizer (13,227 pounds) through Geofarm at Felleskjøpet. The amount is an average purchase of fertilizer in Norway. Three tons consisting of ammonium nitrate and three tons consisting of calcium ammonium nitrate. According to some of the neighbors, all the fertilizer was stored in his barn.[41] This was the fertilizer used to make the Oslo bomb. After conducting a reconstruction of the bomb with equivalent amount of fertilizer on the farm in Åmot, police and bomb experts concluded that the bomb had been 950 kilograms,[42] about the same size as the one used in the 2002 Bali bombings. Afterwards there was significant debate in Norway how an amateur could acquire so substantial amounts of fertilizer and in addition manufacture and place such a lethal weapon in the middle of Regjeringskvartalet all by himself. The conclusion by Felleskjøpet was that there is no legislation to keep agricultural businesses from purchasing as much fertilizer as they please, and that Geofarm was completely legitimate and there was nothing suspicious about Breivik's purchase.[43] This was confirmed by the director of the Norwegian Police Security Service, Janne Kristiansen, who stated "not even Stasi could have prevented this attack"[44]
    Another way is to create a much less porous social safety net that is capable of seeing people such as the shooter and ameliorating their social circumstances so as to avoid the type of psychological damage and distortion that leads to violence.
    Such a safety net does not yet exist in any country in the world, but is not impossible.
    So your goal would be to create a central gov't so powerful it could identify the shooter's proclivity for craziness before he does anything crazy.

That would have the money and be efficacious enough to take the appropriate steps as far as therapy and rehab are concerned to keep the shooter from committing murder.

And by that logic be able (have the $ and institutional size to) pay this level of attention to every citizen so as to truly create a blanket social safety net.

I find that hypothetical central gov't more frightening than I do Breivik.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I find that hypothetical central gov't more frightening than I do Breivik.
    I definitely agree with this. A government with that kind of power to peek in at our private lives, private actions and even private motivations or ideas (a process that would involve gutting civil liberties and often taking action based on dubious and circumstantial issues) is likely far more dangerous and certainly more wide-reaching than any unstable individual.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The Norwegian crazy dude was unpredictable. Norway seems to have pretty smick social services too. So it wouldn't have that necessarily. Him slipping through the cracks.
    I mean seriously, before it all happened, Norway was the one of the last places you'd think something like that would happen.
    Norwegians, that I've met, have been so laid back they make Canadians seem anxious. It was a genuine out of the blue moment....at least on the international stage. Maybe it makes more sense when submersed in their culture. Na, they were just as genuinely surprised as the rest of world (unlike another school shooting in America, say?)
    I didn't even know Norway had a immigration problem.
    The only thing I could possibly think is maybe they got complacent, and suffered from a touch of naivety. I'm honestly very sad that's been taken away now. Maybe it's thier tolerance that worked against them.
    Or sometimes bad things happen for no reason at all. I sincerely doubt monitoring the Internet would have help either, unless they have some high tech profiling going on?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

kill the 2nd amendment or make racism grounds for losing rights to 2nd amendment.

nazi`s would have a bitch fit
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee