User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Fired for Being Pregnant: Thoughts?

Texas. Meh.
    http://news.yahoo.com/texas-teacher-...opstories.html
    Texas Teacher Fired for Unwed Pregnancy Offered to Get Married
    A teacher and coach at a private Baptist school in Texas fired for an unwed pregnancy wants to set the record straight about who she is for those who question her fitness as a "Christian role model."

"I'm not just some teacher that went out to a bar and go pregnant and went back to school saying it's okay," Cathy Samford told ABCNews.com today. "I was in a committed relationship the whole time and probably would have been married if things had gone differently and this would be a non-situation."

Samford, 29, was in her third year as a volleyball coach at Heritage Christian Academy in Rockwall, Tex., and her first year as a middle school science teacher when she discovered she was pregnant in the fall of 2011.

She and her fiance had been planning to get married at the end of the summer, but a series of events had delayed the wedding.

Samford said she never dreamed she would be fired for her pregnancy and went into her conversations with the school thinking their biggest concern would be her missing part of the basketball season since she was supposed to coach. ...

.. [Headmaster]Taylor said that when the school became aware of the situation, they felt they had no choice but to terminate her.

"It's not that she's pregnant. The issue here is being an unmarried mother," Taylor said. "Everything that we stand for says that we want our teachers, who we consider to be in the ministry, to model what a Christian man or woman should be."

...Samford's attorney Colin Walsh disagrees.

"It's against the law to fire someone for them taking a pregnancy leave and you can't preventatively fire someone. You can't contract around anti-discrimination laws," Walsh told ABCNews.com. "Just being generally religious or upholding Christian values is not enough to evoke the ministerial exception."
    Walsh and Samford have filed a charge of gender and pregnancy discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and are preparing a lawsuit against the school.
    I'm kind of lost on this one. A public school? Sure. But the courts have traditionally held that religious schools can do this kind of thing. And while I think it's crazy in the sense that anyone at the school who knew her sees her as a good person and doesn't feel she's a bad role model, in the end she still did become pregnant out of wedlock (albeit to a fiance), and these schools just do not condone that kind of behavior. Christian colleges typically have tight curfew and strong restrictions of physical contact. It's just more that the school seems concerned about the letter of the law and what strangers think (and there's probably some money/funding concerns too, if they do not punish her), whereas on a personal level this is anything but what they are treating it as.

My prediction is that she's not going to make much headway in Texas. There's a lesser chance she might get a settlement from the school, just to shut down the publicity. Definitely no reinstatement.

Thoughts?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

She should've claimed it was an immaculate conception.

I guess I don't know the legality of this sort of thing, but I can't imagine that it is legal. I always wonder what happens to those people who forcibly get their jobs back at a place that doesn't want them.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Depends entirely on what her lawyer said about the "ministerial exception".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I always wonder what happens to those people who forcibly get their jobs back at a place that doesn't want them.
    That's a major reality of such situations, and why I think typically they just "settle" financially without the person really returning to the place of work... at least as far as I know, that seems to be what happens.

it's a shame, because the publicity might also make it hard for other Christian schools to hire her. She might have to go public/secular private, if anything.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Good, now she will have more time to take care of the child

just kidding
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

kidding so much, you posted it twice. hardee har har

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I meant for the font to be smaller too :/

In all seriousness though I think this is ridiculous. Women shouldn't be allowed to work in the first place!

kidding again it really is ridiculous and I can't imagine how this is legal

If I were to start a temple to aphrodite could I get require the faculty to participate in religious ovservance including orgies in worship of aphrodite? Because I have to admit, that would be pretty awesome.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm not sure if there's much she can do since it's a private school....... Still, did they really need to do this? What business is it of theirs, and especially of the middle school students, what her marital status is?

garbage

"It's not that she's pregnant. The issue here is being an unmarried mother," Taylor said.
    She's not a mother yet. She could get legally married tomorrow and, blammo, she'll be married by the time she is a mother.

I thought they were against the whole "premarital sex" thing, though. Guess they loosened up on that?

In any case, if it's against the law, then, yeah, time for a lawsuit. I wonder what her employment contract states. As messed up as it is that an employer can dictate the details of one's personal life, sometimes that comes with the job. For example, those with security clearances, especially top secret ones, can't leak so many details about their personal lives (e.g. pictures of them with alcohol is a "no-no") because those can be used as blackmail, which, of course, is bad news for the government.

Reinstatement to that school probably wouldn't be a good thing for her--the tension wouldn't be worth it, as you guys point out. If she's got a case, she can take the money and run.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I'm not sure if there's much she can do since it's a private school....... Still, did they really need to do this? What business is it of theirs, and especially of the middle school students, what her marital status is?
    it's a Christian school in Texas. Which means it's probably affiliated with Southern Baptists beliefs.

It's funny hearing comments like this. I grew up in the evangelical/Baptist/country religion culture, and this is all "life as normal" to me. Her getting pregnant before becoming married almost immediately ensures that she would be fired, it's almost a given. They are very picky about their rules for holy living being followed; she's a bad Christian role model in terms of their faith.

@bologna: In terms of the faith, she's pregnant, i.e., that means she was engaging in premarital relations which is what is prohibited, she's in their eyes already a mother because a fetus is a human life, and besides that crowd has been pushing like mad to get rid of abortions and/or reduce the age in utero by which they are allowed. I think Kansas recently set up some kind of rule (or tried to get it passed) that could effectively be twisted to punish not having a baby after you've decided to have one, based on how the timing of the pregancy works out logicially.

CRAZY stuff.