First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Yeah, I understand this. I'm just saying.... why do the kids have to find out she's not married?
    I think she was teaching middle and high school activities (volleyball and science), so the kids would be old enough to probably know. She might have also been going by "Miss" rather than "Ms." Not sure. But it seems like the kids already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    If you have a problem selling or administrating perfectly legal and medically indicated drugs, don't become a doctor or pharmacist
    That happens to be my personal stance. You can work for a religious-oriented medical establishment if you feel you cannot support the secular establishment's rules and needs.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Yeah, I understand this. I'm just saying.... why do the kids have to find out she's not married?
    Little old church ladies who gossip
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Thoughts?
    Private school.

They can do what they want.

Maybe she gets a settlement out of em.

Ginkgo

Texas. Meh.
    this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Private school.

They can do what they want.

Maybe she gets a settlement out of em.
    Pretty much this. I don't find it at all surprising that this happened, given the school and part of the country it's in. Replace her with some low effort thinking right winger because that's what's important here, not the ability to teach.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's B.S. bro. I can see getting fired if you're an exotic dancer or a professional basketball player, but a teacher?

That's not right. Not at a public school. Private school, though, is an entirely different matter. In that case, though, one would think she'd know better.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh it IS a private Baptist school.

Yeah she should have known better.

There is a point where political correctness is wrong, and common sense is right. This is one of the times. Give me a fucking break.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The USA has been upheaval for quite some years now, and especially in the last 5-10. Even Obama's healthcare plan plays into some of these internal struggles... such as the mess a few months back where establishments might have been required to provide birth control to members regardless of the beliefs of the establishments.

In a like vein, there's the issue of religious pharmacists who want the ability to determine what medicine they are required to provide to paying customers/prescription bearers (for example, the "morning after" pill). Lots of arguing about whether the customer's totally legit (legally) needs have to met by the pharmacist in question if their religious beliefs fly against it.

Basically, secular and Christian forces are butting heads over areas of jurisidiction as well as control/boundaries and how far "freedom" extends.
    The core of the conflict is the definition of freedom. For some freedom means being able to impose personal beliefs or economic controls onto other people, and for others it is about personal freedoms related to how one lives their own life. The freedom to make others "do likewise" is a huge problem and basically asks the question "On what level of power should people be able to dictate control over others"? The pharmacist who denies medication based on personal belief is upset about government controlling them, and yet they are expecting to have the same level of control in their domain. I suppose there could be "religious pharmacies" as long as people have access to alternatives? One big issue with that particular conflict is that the pharmacist does not know why specific medications are prescribed, and birth control pills, etc can be prescribed for hormonal imbalances that can be serious health risks. A person should not have to explain their prescriptions to a pharmacist. Their level of access to information does not match the level of power they are seeking to be able to withhold prescriptions.

As far as the teacher getting fired for pregnancy is concerned, she is probably better off in the long run, because it would be hell to try to go through a pregnancy and birth in an environment like that. I hope she will be able to have some access to employment and health insurance, though. Hopefully she can get something through her fiance's work.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    The core of the conflict is the definition of freedom. For some freedom means being able to impose personal beliefs or economic controls onto other people, and for others it is about personal freedoms related to how one lives their own life. The freedom to make others "do likewise" is a huge problem and basically asks the question "On what level of power should people be able to dictate control over others"? The pharmacist who denies medication based on personal belief is upset about government controlling them, and yet they are expecting to have the same level of control in their domain. I suppose there could be "religious pharmacies" as long as people have access to alternatives? One big issue with that particular conflict is that the pharmacist does not know why specific medications are prescribed, and birth control pills, etc can be prescribed for hormonal imbalances that can be serious health risks. A person should not have to explain their prescriptions to a pharmacist. Their level of access to information does not match the level of power they are seeking to be able to withhold prescriptions.

As far as the teacher getting fired for pregnancy is concerned, she is probably better off in the long run, because it would be hell to try to go through a pregnancy and birth in an environment like that. I hope she will be able to have some access to employment and health insurance, though. Hopefully she can get something through her fiance's work.
    Um, what kind of moron takes a job at a Baptist private school in Texas and expects to have a child out of wedlock and all things be peachy?

I'm really starting to get annoyed with people's lack of personal responsibility. It's one thing to be mocked for your sexual preference, race, or mental illness...it's entirely another to actively take a position (CHOOSE) and know the core philosophy of that private institution and expect the government to save you from you own mistake.

There will be no freedom left in this country if private religious institutions aren't allowed to operate as they see fit, within reason.

If that woman wanted freedom from religion, she should have worked at a different school.

It would be like me teaching high school, and getting mad that I was fired that I chose to date a particularly developed 18 or 19 year old senior. Or teaching Kindergarten and posting topless pictures of myself on facebook.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I generally agree with the gist that she probably won't make much headway here, she might pull off a settlement if she's lucky, and she should have been aware of what was going to happen in this situation and how stringent the Christian school rules typically are. I just don't screw around with that type of mentality; you can rest assured that if you break the rules / violate their beliefs, they WILL get rid of you. Their beliefs dominate, even with other things on the board.

I think in this situation, let's just remember that she WAS in a fuzzy area -- apparently she had sex at least once shortly before they had planned to marry, so technically no one would have likely found out if they had just married as planned. For some reason, it got postponed, and she happened to conceive about the same time and suddenly was stuck. While she should have realized these people would play hardball and "gone by the book," she didn't deviate a TON outside the lines.... if the wedding hadn't gotten postponed, she would have probably been fine.

Of course, she could have gotten an abortion; thank goodness she was such a terrible role model that she decided to keep her baby and ensure she'd probably lose her job. What terrible morals. She should be ashamed. What type of woman takes responsibility for her actions and keeps her baby?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft