User Tag List

First 1234 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @bologna: In terms of the faith, she's pregnant, i.e., that means she was engaging in premarital relations which is what is prohibited, she's in their eyes already a mother because a fetus is a human life, and besides that crowd has been pushing like mad to get rid of abortions and/or reduce the age in utero by which they are allowed. I think Kansas recently set up some kind of rule (or tried to get it passed) that could effectively be twisted to punish not having a baby after you've decided to have one, based on how the timing of the pregancy works out logicially.
    Oh, man. Did you hear about the definition of pregnancy that Arizona is trying to use? Fun stuff. That definition is what's used medically to determine due dates, but to apply that logic to abortion is, suffice it to say, taking it out of its intended domain.

Yeah, I had edited my post (as I am prone to do ), musing about whether they had a problem with the premarital sex or not. The article didn't seem to indicate this, but it could very well be the case. Your perception for their definition for "mother" makes sense..

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Although some would argue that the actions of the school are justified because of her contract, I still feel that it's a dick move on the school's part.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

It depends on the contract she signed when she started teaching at that school. If it said that things like that would lead to termination, or if there were precedents that could give her some idea of what would happen if she got pregnant while unmarried, then it seems like the school administration could legally terminate her.

That's the technical side of it. I don't know anything about the laws there, but there had been a similar case in Germany a couple of months ago where a teacher of a partially Christian-funded kindergarden got fired because she started seeing someone while still technically married. -

Personally, I think this is both outrageous and disturbing, especially because of the way private schools can govern the private lives of their employees, and this sort of discriminantion still seems to be legal. The same rules that do apply to public schools concerning the rights and duties between employers and employees that are in effect for public schools should apply to private schools as well.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INTJ

Texas. Meh.
    The issue isn't Texas. It's Christianity. :footballreferee:

What did she really expect, though? I can't see how she couldn't see that one coming.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The USA has been upheaval for quite some years now, and especially in the last 5-10. Even Obama's healthcare plan plays into some of these internal struggles... such as the mess a few months back where establishments might have been required to provide birth control to members regardless of the beliefs of the establishments.

In a like vein, there's the issue of religious pharmacists who want the ability to determine what medicine they are required to provide to paying customers/prescription bearers (for example, the "morning after" pill). Lots of arguing about whether the customer's totally legit (legally) needs have to met by the pharmacist in question if their religious beliefs fly against it.

Basically, secular and Christian forces are butting heads over areas of jurisidiction as well as control/boundaries and how far "freedom" extends.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    The issue isn't Texas. It's Christianity. :footballreferee:
    I think my point was that Texas is pretty famous (along with a few other states) for coming down on things in this manner. They're pretty conservative, and there is a meshing of religion and politics.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I think it's stupid, what if the person that knocked her up was an abusive alcoholic, sure to them that be preferable to being unwed. It's ok if daddy beats you, as long as mommy and him are married.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I won't get into what I think of the value system behind this. That should have become obvious by now. Fromhow I understand this,if the ministerial regulation does infact ruleher work contract she is in fact in breach and rightfully terminated. If her contract lies outside that special regulation, secular labor law applies and she has one hell of a lawsuit.

That reminds me of a recent case in Germany where the director of a Catholic kindergarden got fired for leaving her husband and moving in with her new guy - for her immediate employer, the Catholic church, that is adultery. The thing is that this kindergarden is financed 100% by the state and only managed by the church (don't ask me why, a 88% state-12%church division is more usual and is sufficient to make a school or kindergarden church-run in that particular state). That woman was so good at her job and the children's parents apparently valued her so much that they got the city counsel to cancel the management contract between the city and the church. They united and had the kindergardener's back against the church.Maybe I should add that people here are,on average, much less religious and those who send their kids to church-run kindergardens or schools often do so because there is a shortness of kindergarden places and the quality of education has a good reputation, not necessarilyout of religious conviction. Still, legally, Germany too has special privileged for the churches, they have their own labor law and can expect their employees to do things a secular employer could never expect, let alone enforce. Those rules are seldom enforced though because the church can't afford to fire every cleaninglady who eats meat on friday.

EDIT: Zut alors! Mad Hatter beat me to it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I thought they were against the whole "premarital sex" thing, though. Guess they loosened up on that?
    No, they are just using that wording to try and avoid a media circus. Really this is about the 60+ year olds in the congregation who will leave the church (and take their donations with them though of course that is not a factor 9_9 ).
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

it's a Christian school in Texas. Which means it's probably affiliated with Southern Baptists beliefs.

It's funny hearing comments like this. I grew up in the evangelical/Baptist/country religion culture, and this is all "life as normal" to me. Her getting pregnant before becoming married almost immediately ensures that she would be fired, it's almost a given. They are very picky about their rules for holy living being followed; she's a bad Christian role model in terms of their faith.
    Yeah, I understand this. I'm just saying.... why do the kids have to find out she's not married?

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Oh, man. Did you hear about the definition of pregnancy that Arizona is trying to use? Fun stuff. That definition is what's used medically to determine due dates, but to apply that logic to abortion is, suffice it to say, taking it out of its intended domain.
    Arizona does a lot of crazy stuff, but the news on what they're doing is really starting to twist them out of control. They can't say that they are deeming pregnancy to be 2 weeks before conception if it's really that they do not know the exact date of conception.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

In a like vein, there's the issue of religious pharmacists who want the ability to determine what medicine they are required to provide to paying customers/prescription bearers (for example, the "morning after" pill). Lots of arguing about whether the customer's totally legit (legally) needs have to met by the pharmacist in question if their religious beliefs fly against it.
    If you have a problem selling or administrating perfectly legal and medically indicated drugs, don't become a doctor or pharmacist
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari