First 910111213 Last

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    @Speed Gavroche
    Why are you so upset about this? You are deeply invested past the point of objectivity, and project onto others many of the fallacies you are committing yourself in your arguments. What do you personally lose if a transgendered woman is accepted into a beauty pageant?
    Nothing, that's why I'am objective.

The legal standing of an individual does need to be legitimizing for them to function in society. If the pageant is a private industry and they can fight it legally and that is important to them, then I suspect they will do this. The reason we have laws (which are often flawed, but still provide some stability and justice) is to create a sense of order, consensus, and the ability to function.
    The only one goal of low is to protect life, freedom and right of property. The rest is sceondary bullshit and must not restrict personal freedom, in particulary the freedom to discriminate.

This is important for personal identity
    I fucking don't care about his personal identity, it's his problem, not the mine.

and it makes sense for a legal definition to be respected and treated consistently in a society, except for certain privatized institutions that disregard equality and can legally discriminate and show preferential treatment based on their personal ideologies.
    In a truly free society, everyone should be allowed to discriminate according to his personal criteria, without be coerced by the interests of a minority like the LGBT lobby.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Nothing, that's why I'am objective.
    You don't qualify for that adjective. The majority of humanity doesn't.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    You don't qualify for that adjective. The majority of humanity doesn't.
    And so you are right? No.

You must prove that you are, and you can't, that means you are wrong.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

A substantial part of the last few pages has been moved to the Graveyard. Would you two please take it down a nodge or carry on outdoors?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... yeah, I knew that was coming.

Is Off-Topic supposed to be locked? I don't remember.

----

I think one of the points that I verbalized that is worth focusing on is that this really wasn't much of a public battle. I have a lot of trouble seeing this as some small interest group somehow dominating an established event/company and forcing them to do something they did not want at all to do.

1. Trump is a tactician and has outlasted/won many many other fights in the public arena, when he has wanted to.
    2. The argument lasted, what, a week or two? Without much appearing in the news aside from the endpoints?
    3. If there were legal grounds for them to stand on and they did not want to change their rules, they would not have... not within such a short period of time.
    4. Either what they had done was considering discrimination and thus legally culpable, or they basically were just playing the situation out for their own advantage.

Historically, activists have to fight battles for much longer periods of times before an unwilling entity decides to comply. We're talking periods of months and even years. there is a much harder lobby on guys like Limbaugh (to get him off the air), and he's still going strong, even at the end of his waning influence + after losing some advertisers.

No, either the organization evaluated their rules and decided their rules were wrong; or they were told by officials that they were legally culpable; or Trump was playing this situation out to his advantage on purpose and saw it as a 'win win,' since now he looks like a big guy because he changed his rules, he seems open and accommodating, but if they hadn't fought, he could have just kept doing what he was doing; or no one really saw this as 'that big' of an issue enough to dig in for a long drawn-out fight.

it's really only a blip, historically, for a situation like this.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Did you hear me? La même chose vaut pour toi.
    Yes, madame. ok, madame. Pour votre bon plaisir.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Now there's a good boy
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Now there's a good boy
    I'm always a good boy, that's what we learn in France, we are real gentillhommes.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

what in clusterfuck hell did this discussion turn into?

If she's a woman, she's a woman, irrespective of the nominal 'gender' she was born into. Plus legally she's a woman. that should negate all comment.

It's not "Miss universe born with a vagina pageant".

Actually. another question for the topic. Would an openly gay Miss America/Miss Universe be accepted either?

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

A substantial part of the last few pages has been moved to the Graveyard. Would you two please take it down a nodge or carry on outdoors?
    Alright! First thread to get (partially) graveyard(ed?). You're interfering with my goal of making a thread that gets to 20+ pages though
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.