First 123

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's only gonna get worse. I'm gonna be working my ass off to get out of this country before it's too late
    Where to? Perhaps only Australia and Canada have something better to offer.

Looking into immigration policies in Europe is pretty discouraging
    That's because immigration from Europe to the US is equally difficult.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The tech bubble bursting put me out of business over night.
    Yeah, it is a good thing I was too young to remember much about the Tech bubble. All I could remember that time was everyone telling each other about y2k and that it was the end of the world, and that electricity and all those stuff would stop functioning.

Still, what is scary is that we went through a recession because of the tech bubble, that recession did not improve whatsoever... and then we get hit with another bubble that hits us with an even greater recession. If what Greece and Spain are dealing with is bad enough, wait until they hit the rest of Europe and come back to America. And all it takes is one more bubble to burst at the wrong time and all hell breaks loose. And I'm guessing the next great pinch will come from student loans.

With those proportion of unemployment to employment, we might as well be in a great depression (at least when it comes to 16-24 year olds.) Most of every other age group (over 30) are probably nowhere near the levels of unemployment the under 30 group is enjoying. From what I've seen, changing the data to 18-24 improves only so much.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Where to? Perhaps only Australia and Canada have something better to offer.
    Oz has a successful immigration programme, and we have a shortage of qualified workers. So why not come and work in Oz and even become a citizen?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Oz has a successful immigration programme, and we have a shortage of qualified workers. So why not come and work in Oz and even become a citizen?
    As far as I know it's relatively difficult to get into Oz. You need a very speficic kind of qualifier, not just be random "qualified worker". Is it just a prejudice?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    As far as I know it's relatively difficult to get into Oz. You need a very speficic kind of qualifier, not just be random "qualified worker". Is it just a prejudice?
    Sure, why not ring the Australian Embassy and ask them for the list of qualifications needed? Perhaps you might find yourself surprised.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's relatively easy to get into Australia.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

No, Australian infrastructure, particularly health is strained enough as it is! So bugger off. I want my water and electricity bills to at the very least, not go up. Oh and internet is crap in the outback.

Seriously though, we've done alright, because our industries are mainly primary. If China stops buying metal ore from us though, we might be a tiny bit screwed.

So immigrating to Europe, not such a good idea I see.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The thing about healthcare in the US is the same as healthcare in the UK, it was a major victory for those opposed to imperialism in the UK, its impossible to maintain an imperial foreign policy and the requisit armed forces with the expense associated with, among other things, a naitonal health service.

I do believe that UK has tried to carry on with the empire, only in dozens of seriously underhand and unscrupulous means, spies, selling weapons to regimes and using the profits to wage war on them (Argentina, Iraq), fomenting threats which other regimes will have to deal with besides they themselves.

Its not the same though, Chomsky was right, the US developed itself militarily, all the other principle economies of the western or washington sphere of influence developed other things, health etc. to circulate the money and make mass consumer economies possible.

Germany and Japan are economic power houses in part because they have no military as a legacy of the second world war (only Bush has ever suggested that Germany should remilitarise and that's in part because it would mean the social market economy would have to go and Germany become something resembling the US in economic and social policy).

Health could be the means that the US needs if its going to drop militarism. The capitalist dreams along Ron Paul lines would need about fifty percent or more of the population to vanish.