User Tag List

First 123 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

^GOP press release. did you write cut-n-paste that in your gated community?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^GOP press release. did you write that in your gated community?
    Really?

I don't see anything about unrestrained American Exceptionalism, the need to grow the military, pandering to a religious base, or flat out refusing to increase taxes.

All I see is a sober, and somber look at our financial situation nationally.

PS - I don't live in a gated community. But I do live in a historic neighborhood where all the houses look different (and beautiful).

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Problem with healthcare is too that it is the tip of the social iceberg. For that tho your country needs to become social first. Americans are basically the embodiement or inventors of liberalism and as long as that is so, you can forget healthcare. A raise in taxes, especially in the current situation will just increase criminal creativity to move ones earnings past the taxation. I mean look at switzerland. The sole purpose for this country exists is to wash money and my country having a very high taxation for all the social benefits suffers directly from the opportunities switzerland offers.

Whats mandatory in the US imo at the moment is to bring back safe jobs. A lot of them. There should be a lot more government programs investing money in industry and on the same time demanding a more rigid dismissal protection for employees from industry who takes state money. Plus that there should be more taxation in the financial sector. But this sort of taxation would need to be well-thought thru. In the financial sector a lot of money is being made but not a lot of jobs are being created. Thats the fundamental problem which will lead to a fast increasing gap between a few rich people and a lot of poor people. The purpose of industry or endeavours shouldnt be to make money, but to create jobs. At least from the PoV of the government. And instead of spending money on a healthcare program that your country just aint ready for, the government should concentrate on depowering the financial branches and repowering the industrial and commercial ones.

Real jobs can only be generated thru real work, as long as that aint clear, it wont become better for all of us.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I totally agree that the first thing we need to focus on is jobs.

The good news is:

March Jobs Data Proves the Crisis Is Over but Problems Remain

Today’s latest installment of the official jobs data should be final proof—if more is needed—that the U.S. economy is no longer mired an acute employment crisis. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. labor force grew by 120,000 in March, continuing a trend now more than a year old of steady improvement, but less emphatically than the past three months when surveys showed gain well in excess of 200,000 per month.
    The bad news is that in order for us to grow the way we want and to remain relevant in the 21st century, we are going to have to take a look at how we create jobs, and why despite the amount of money made in certain industries, we don't create more.

Throwing cash at the auto industry isn't going to do it.

I think a greater commitment domestic innovation and research (through Uni's or otherwise) is the first step.

Followed by a necessary restructuring of our fiscal commitments in such a way that we can begin to afford to spend the vast sums required to update our national infrastructure.

Something like a public works project for updating or woefully decrepit transportation system.

I think our biggest problem has been the growth of oligarchies. Institutions that become so large they are considered too big to fail, and cooperate with other titans to such an extent that the market forces of competition cease to serve as a check against outdated business models.

The beauty of capitalism is that when functioning properly it acts like an evolutionary force for businesses.

Businesses that are considered too big to fail don't have to worry about bankruptcy and thus have no incentive to be as competitive and responsive to the consumer as they can be.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

"But, with the economy recovering, the time will soon come for the difficult decisions: Will the government cut defense spending, Social Security, or Medicare? Or perhaps other programs that keep millions out of poverty?"

Student loans. Now standing at 1 trillion.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well America's economic pain went the entire world's way when the bubble burst, so I suppose it's only fair.
    This is exactly what I thought, the article in the OP smacks of seriously nationalist propaganda, ie the problems in the world are really all the fault of foreigners.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    IThe beauty of capitalism is that in theory it acts like an evolutionary force for businesses.
    Fixed that for you.

The reality is that if you consider the theory NONE of what has transpired in the US or other world economies should have happened, now generally when a theory has been tested and been found to be practically wanting in the balance it is enough to either discredit the theory or provoke a rethink. Not so capitalism. What takes place is something like the ideological retrenchment in the face of contrary evidence which characterised regimes like the USSR.

Oligarchies are a problem but not because they are out of date or fail to adapt, the same oligarchies which caused the present crisis are those which were considered vitally cutting edge and whose practices have not been that closely scrutinised or analysed.

Instead there has been A LOT of diversion of attention away from those same firms and their actions and the consequences for everyone besides themselves to old targets like welfare recipients, automotive industries, unions. All the usual right wing hate targets.

Its a total and utter objectivity fail.

Yes, I am quite sure what is happening in Europe will bounce right the hell back again and vice versa... it is only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    "But, with the economy recovering, the time will soon come for the difficult decisions: Will the government cut defense spending, Social Security, or Medicare? Or perhaps other programs that keep millions out of poverty?"

Student loans. Now standing at 1 trillion.
    I think that is one of the next bubbles to pop....as sad as that sounds. Ever since the housing collapse and recession, there has been more people than ever that go to college either because they've lost their job and can't get it back or it is the newer generation trying to get a degree. And many of them, one way or another, are taking student loans(whether public or private.) If there is no job, there is no way to pay for those debts. I mean, the youth unemployment is as bad as the numbers were in WWII

http://www.pressherald.com/business/...012-04-04.html

Taken from this link is a graph of the employment rate relative to those of the past decades up to the end of WWII, and this particular graph made my jaw drop:

2000 was the tech bubble and 2008(if you guys don't know already ) is the sharp downturn from the housing bubble.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post

2000 was the tech bubble and 2008(if you guys don't know already ) is the sharp downturn from the housing bubble.
    The tech bubble bursting put me out of business over night.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Britain, Europe and the Anglosphere

Britain now regrets joining Europe and leaving the Anglosphere.

Australia has been booming for the last 25 years and will boom for the next.

In the global village we no longer need to be contiguous, for we can trade with anyone, anywhere. And how easy it is to trade in the Anglosphere with common laws, common culture, common politics and human rights.

What a terrible mistake Britain made in giving up her Sovereignity to Europe, while we kept ours and prospered.