12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Forty plus years in solitary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17564805

Got to wonder what that would do to you. It would be a slow death to me as an extrovert who loves to have social interaction with others or enough stand ins or substitutes for it like reading, internet, writing, more reading. I'm not sure that this sort of sentence is going to involve any of that at all. Solitary would probably mean solitary.

There's another dude in the UK similar to that. "Charles Bronson". There's a great movie based on him (played by Tom Hardy). After watching it, I think I'd develop the same way. Although, he's had on and off periods, not totally solitary confinement.

The funny thing is, he was originally imprisoned for a mere robbery. He's only stayed so long for crimes done in prison.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    There's another dude in the UK similar to that. "Charles Bronson". There's a great movie based on him (played by Tom Hardy). After watching it, I think I'd develop the same way. Although, he's had on and off periods, not totally solitary confinement.

The funny thing is, he was originally imprisoned for a mere robbery. He's only stayed so long for crimes done in prison.
    I've never heard of a film about him, although I've read books, or rather flicked through books in the shops and read about him in magazines. Some how he's come to adapt to or like that kind of existence, he published a book called The Good Prison Guide and another about Solitary Fitness Training, seems to be a really damaged guy but also insanely muscle bound too. A lot of his crimes resulting in his continued custody have been hostage taking or hostage situation related, his writing about that betrays a pretty disturbed or hard hearted and slightly sadistic sort of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've never heard of a film about him, although I've read books, or rather flicked through books in the shops and read about him in magazines. Some how he's come to adapt to or like that kind of existence, he published a book called The Good Prison Guide and another about Solitary Fitness Training, seems to be a really damaged guy but also insanely muscle bound too. A lot of his crimes resulting in his continued custody have been hostage taking or hostage situation related, his writing about that betrays a pretty disturbed or hard hearted and slightly sadistic sort of guy.
    Yeah, he's seriously screwed up. So that's what I mean by what I'd be like after that much solitary confinement.

Check out the film. Tom Hardy is the best actor around right now... best actor for that role at least.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

I love how people say the death penalty is barbaric when they don't realize the alternative is worse.
    These prisoners should at least have the option of euthanasia.
    Besides, what hope do they have if they ever get out? It's not like they'll get a job or a pension.

As an introvert the "solitary" part probably wouldn't affect me that much, but if I don't have anything to do then it'll be just like torture to me. My own mind can only keep me entertained for so long.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, he's seriously screwed up. So that's what I mean by what I'd be like after that much solitary confinement.

Check out the film. Tom Hardy is the best actor around right now... best actor for that role at least.
    I remember seeing the movie about the Australian guy chopper, it was good, now I dont know because he wrote a dozen books afterwards but that guy's first book was pretty good because he wrote the whole thing and appeared to be glamourising the crime lifestyle but concluded it by saying would he do it all again, no, that his life was actually pretty grim.

Mind you he did appear like a pretty mercurial character, just like those other examples.

The two guys in solitary for forty years were black panthers who were campaigning for an end to prison violent, between inmates and between inmates and prison officers, in what seemed like a pretty messed up and violent neo-plantation, white prisoners were called trustees and given firearms, weaker or younger prisoners were bought and sold as sex slaves, whole thing sounded messed up and there was evidence which contradicted the official account resulting in the sentencing of these two.

The guy who was released after something like 29yrs has an escape passage from his master bedroom because he's afraid of being closed in in his own bedroom!

The prison governor who was interviewed seemed like a real, real hardass, didnt like the idea of people getting an hour of sunlight a day if they'd been sentenced to solitary, now I think I'm pretty hard when it comes to punishment for crime but it surprised even me.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    I love how people say the death penalty is barbaric when they don't realize the alternative is worse.
    Might be an argument against the death penalty.
    I agree though, give them the option.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Besides, what hope do they have if they ever get out? It's not like they'll get a job or a pension.
    I would much rather be dead than be in forced solitary confinement for the rest of my life.

I agree with the option for euthanasia.

As an introvert the "solitary" part probably wouldn't affect me that much, but if I don't have anything to do then it'll be just like torture to me. My own mind can only keep me entertained for so long.
    I'm pretty strong on the introversion but even I start to feel depressed if I'm alone for too long. I don't mind a few days of being solitary but more than that, no thanks.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, Hardy was great in that film. He is a good actor. I love how well he portrays these disturbed characters.

I think solitary confinement would turn me into some sort of modern-day mystic. I could finally pen all of my religious ideas and create a whole new system of beliefs.
    I love how people say the death penalty is barbaric when they don't realize the alternative is worse. These prisoners should at least have the option of euthanasia. Besides, what hope do they have if they ever get out? It's not like they'll get a job or a pension.
    I wonder how many people would take that option. Would someone want to die because they were bored to death and their life was meaningless? And they had nothing to ever look forward to?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

You know I'm pretty hardcore against the death penalty but this I can agree with. People really should be given the choice.

I'd go bananas for sure.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison