User Tag List

Default What sort of ideology or ideologies underpin the Hunger Games?

In order for the social order portrayed in the Hunger Games to exist there has to be a number of ideologies with a small i which are culturally dominant and perhaps one or two of the modern political ideologies, ideology with a I, in prevalence too, what do you think they are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Step by step to make it happen:

1- Wait for the background on which other people's deaths are, pragmatically speaking, an advantage for those who still live. Either food shortage or overpopulation. This could take a couple of lifetimes. Or maybe you could try that in Africa.

2- Create a new religion. The God of this religion must be a God that requires sacrifices as a compensation for good fortunes.
    Alternatively, you could just adopt the existing ones. The biblical quote "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" could find a real meaning.

3- Create alluring prizes for young people. Anything connected with the 7 deadly sins. Money, fame, sexual favors, etc, will do it.

4- Lots of people start aligning their individual interests with the religious belief that best suits it. The ones that can't stand it will be bullied - ''dood, you're such a pussy''. Soon, not many people will be openly against it.

5- Profit.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Let me guess: it's the ideologies that you don't like.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Lark: plenty of ideologies. Remaining true to yourself, fighting the system while playing the system.

No shwoopy loopy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Step by step to make it happen:

1- Wait for the background on which other people's deaths are, pragmatically speaking, an advantage for those who still live. Either food shortage or overpopulation. This could take a couple of lifetimes. Or maybe you could try that in Africa.

2- Create a new religion. The God of this religion must be a God that requires sacrifices as a compensation for good fortunes.
    Alternatively, you could just adopt the existing ones. The biblical quote "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" could find a real meaning.

3- Create alluring prizes for young people. Anything connected with the 7 deadly sins. Money, fame, sexual favors, etc, will do it.

4- Lots of people start aligning their individual interests with the religious belief that best suits it. The ones that can't stand it will be bullied - ''dood, you're such a pussy''. Soon, not many people will be openly against it.

5- Profit.
    Create vicious cycle!!!

BROTIP: USE MAGNETS FOR FASTER ACQUIRING

CHILDREN WILL GO BANKRUPT

GAMES WILL GO BANKRUPT

WORLD CIVILIZATION WILL GO BANKRUPT!

U JELLY?!?!!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Ideology=Animal farm in clown suits.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Let me guess: it's the ideologies that you don't like.
    What ones are those?

Anyway, if you can make a case that it is, instead, the ideologies that I do like then do so.

The wiki link mentions absolutism and authoritarianism, there is some mention of power too and reality TV.

There's been some comparisons with Battle Royale, which has the theme of intergenerational conflict or fears about intergenerational conflict leading to an arena fight scenario too but there hasnt been much or any mention of The Running Man which I thought was the most natural or comparable example actually, Stephen King even reviewed The Hunger Games and is mentioned in the review but not many people are thinking about his earlier creation (as Richard Batchman). It was a criticism of media and gameshows as a means of social control.

MBTI
    INTP

There have been a surprisingly large number of articles about this very subject (hell, even on the Volokh Conspiracy); most (from both left-wing and right-wing commentators) seem to attribute some kind of possible libertarian agenda, while others (again, from both the left and the right), claim otherwise. The one thing all articles agree on is that its a critique of the media and Reality TV (I believe the author has said as much), just as Lark said.

I haven't seen the movie, nor read the book, so I can't give a personal opinion. What I want to know is whether its as good as Battle Royale (in terms of character depth and appeal).

Prussian Pedagogy

The ideology of the, "Hunger Games", seems to me to be a repetition of Prussian Pedagogy where students are compelled to compete against one another in order to establish the hierarchy of meritocracy.

This would seem to be borne out by the popularity among students because it resonates with their daily experience, but is removed enough not to be too close to the bone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is a quite interesting question. I haven't read the books or seen the movie yet though, so I can't participate, but I just wanted to say that I approve of this thread.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/