User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default President Obama and his insistance on isolating himself

President Obama chose to liken himself to Trayvon in a public announcement when he said the kid could have been his son. Is anyone else looking at this closely? These hate crimes are committed daily on every race/gender/religion, yet the President wants to take a stance based on his best interest (being an african american)? Bad form, IMO.

Enjoy the read:
    http://www.katu.com/news/national/7-...145286335.html

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    President Obama chose to liken himself to Trayvon in a public announcement when he said the kid could have been his son. Is anyone else looking at this closely? These hate crimes are committed daily on every race/gender/religion, yet the President wants to take a stance based on his best interest (being an african american)? Bad form. Period.

Enjoy the read:
    http://www.katu.com/news/national/7-...145286335.html
    You're a bit late on that. I should of done an all encompassing post on the subject matter in that thread.

What I would of said?

How dare they use the President as their own, he's the President of The United States, not the President of African-Americans. Which is why it makes me think they are scapegoating both Trayvon and Obama for their own cause. They're making his job even harder by making him choose.

If I was an adviser of his, I would tell him, he was either going to go ahead with this and face scrutiny from everybody that isn't African-American/believe the out-cry is entirely justified, or face scrutiny from the scape-goaters. Trayvon's a sad case, but not one that should be created for political attention. He isn't a sacrificial lamb, and should not be used as a sacrificial lamb. In my eyes he was a kid that was killed, not like one where a African-American man was tugged by a car because of a real hate crime that happened a few years(?) ago.

MBTI
    ISTx

Thank you. Just making sure I'm not the only one.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Maybe he, as an African-American, faces a different kind of marginalization than those who are female, Muslim, Asian, etc.? In some places, it seems like it's bad form to say you "share the pain", so to speak, of someone who is marginalized in a whole different way...

Dunno what to think about it.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Permabanned

I think he felt he needed to make a statement about it, and given that, what else was he supposed to say?

"It's sad...but, yeah, it happens..."

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Maybe he, as an African-American, faces a different kind of marginalization than those who are female, Muslim, Asian, etc.? In some places, it seems like it's bad form to say you "share the pain", so to speak, of someone who is marginalized in a whole different way...

Dunno what to think about it.
    I know they do, mostly because I've token "basic" sociology (there are quite a lot of statistics to back it up too.) I've known enough about the different ethnicity(s) to make a basic understanding of how each of them go through living in the U.S.. Marginalization in this case is an over-statement. The outcries in this case are an overstatement (the hoodies, the racial/political undertones.) What has been screamed out of the top of their lungs is an overstatement. It is bad form whether he shares an understanding or not. His role as a President isn't to choose a preference, but to bridge those preferences.

The moment he utter those words that it could of been his son (if he had one,) was the moment he broke it all without understanding the nature of the situation. He has about alienated a large portion of people, as those he has tried to appease.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#...larization.cnn

^That, is how I feel about this case and what has happened.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

When Gabby Giffords was shot and Obama referenced that little girl killed by noting he was the father of two daughters himself, why didn't you shit your pants then? He can't acknowledge he's black? No one would care if a white president said a white kid could have been one of his own children. I have no idea how what he said is controversial. If anything, the fact that he has to constantly pretend he isn't black to appease scared white folks who think the other took over is racist as all get-out.

He didn't say "this only ever happens to black people," and he didn't make this a national story (the media did), all he said was "I can offer my apologies to Trayvon's parents, if I had a son he might even look like Trayvon." How do you possibly get black extremist reaction or marginalization of hate crimes against other religions, sexual orientations or races out of that? You're pushing so much meaning onto a one sentence statement that has absolutely nothing to back it up.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    When Gabby Giffords was shot and Obama referenced that little girl killed by noting he was the father of two daughters himself, why didn't you shit your pants then? He can't acknowledge he's black? No one would care if a white president said a white kid could have been one of his own children. I have no idea how what he said is controversial. If anything, the fact that he has to constantly pretend he isn't black to appease scared white folks who think the other took over is racist as all get-out.

He didn't say "this only ever happens to black people," and he didn't make this a national story (the media did), all he said was "I can offer my apologies to Trayvon's parents, if I had a son he might even look like Trayvon." How do you possibly get black extremist reaction or marginalization of hate crimes against other religions, sexual orientations or races out of that? You're pushing so much meaning onto a one sentence statement that has absolutely nothing to back it up.
    Agreed 100%.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

The media.

The media did not paint the first as a blatantly racist thing that has happened. If it was a first reaction you're asking, it would be more political.

The media, however, decided to quickly paint the second one in a racist way when it gained mainstream attention.

Whether it was me or someone who sees that comment as bad-form, someone will because of the events that are taking place or because people(we) see the events that are taking place. I honestly don't see anything bad about his speech, that does not necessarily make me think it isn't bad-form. It is bad form because of the context of the situation.

Others will have an even more extreme reaction to that one sentence than I will, and all it takes is one event prior to that one sentence.

EDIT: Speaking of one liners and prior events to that one liner.

That is all it takes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

This is a good post with great points.

IMHO Obama, as both POTUS and a biracial man, has a moral obligation to align himself with the teen. The specifics of Treyvon's case aren't what's important, what is important is that every black male has had that experience to some degree (obviously most of those experience aren't grave enough to end with murder). That shared experience comes from "black male" = dangerous. It's the fear behind racism that puts lives in genuine danger.

Anyway, it's just like how every female prime minister has advanced women's rights for their citizens. Most men didn't like that either, and argued that same thing: it's isolating to their voting public.

@swordpath It's just a logical fallacy to assume that because some black men do to others what's being done to them, that it's all a neutral wash out in the end. Evidence: look at the research on how double or triple categorized people (e.g. gay/black/woman/islamic) don't experience those biases equally. It's not even close. Some screw them over more than others, and it depends on the situation.

I'm a big believer that there's a moral obligation to align oneself who those are unfairly marginalized that comes before making white men comfortable. (Or whoever is being screwed over. For example: men in custody battles are unfairly marginalized, and there's a moral obligation for women to say "hold up--let's evaluate each custody battle on its own merit looking at the v. specific two parents rather than assuming the mom is the right answer without looking at the specific evidence. Otherwise we're being sexist.)

Black male walking at night = potential trouble for the black male based solely on that information.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis