User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: EARTH HOUR 2012

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default EARTH HOUR 2012

We live in extraordinary times, with extraordinary demands. I think there was one time the world looked after people from its own organic supply. It seems as though the table has been turned and we have a delicate obligation to restore earth's imbalance. There's no debate how a voluntary movement like Earth Hour can make an impact on the world grid. I don't want it to stop there, but can I get everyone's involvement on this?

Tonight - March 31st, 20:30 (8:30 PM) wherever you are. One hour, maybe more if you can.

Hopefully it's not too big of a challenge for all the computer addicts out there.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

didnt it used to be earth day? Unless there is some soert of government incentive, this "earth hour" will be pennies in relation to trillions. It's like a little destraction to tell ourselves that we try with big happy faces but behind the happy face nobody gives a fack because nobody does more then conform to the useless earth hour.

every second there is tons of trash being wasted, one hour a year we pick up garbage and put it in the garbage can ( it is still garbage and is polluting even if you put it in the garbage can), so i don't really see teh use
    1+1=3 OMFG

figsfiggyfigs

I slept for earth hour. I'm very green.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    didnt it used to be earth day? Unless there is some soert of government incentive, this "earth hour" will be pennies in relation to trillions. It's like a little destraction to tell ourselves that we try with big happy faces but behind the happy face nobody gives a fack because nobody does more then conform to the useless earth hour.

every second there is tons of trash being wasted, one hour a year we pick up garbage and put it in the garbage can ( it is still garbage and is polluting even if you put it in the garbage can), so i don't really see teh use
    Your antagonism is a crutch for mankind (and likely, yourself).
    I worry that anything that gets mainstream attention, people with the maturity of an angsty teenager, will be faced with cynicism and revolt because of conformity. Does the world look that stupid to you? You keep watching the media soap opera on Tiger Woods' affairs or the royal wedding and think everyone must care about this but guess what, NO ONE DOES. The media wants you to believe everyone does, but WE DON'T. When you keep thinking the person next to you is stupid, no one tries to make the effort and that's how it'll remain. Earth Hour matters because it comprises a democratic pursuit of voluntary activisim without the help of the government. No one does this out of fear. They do this out of hope.

I've started doing it, but I'll see what happens for today.

Too much procrastinating at school this year, so I need the lights on for this epic hour.

Cool vid that I saw last year.

It raises the awareness of people, and that beats not doing anything any day. There is an Earth Day AND there is an Earth Hour. For those that can, do so. For those who can go past an hour, do so.

For every person that learns about sustainability, the better. For ever country that starts using alternative energy, the better. The more the people find better ways to use garbage as energy, the better. For those that learn that where we are heading currently isn't helping, the better.

What does that say about a country that doesn't look at how much energy they use? What does that say about a country that does not look at how much waste it outputs? Will this movement cease to exist if Sydney did not start it? Now, who are we to let another country beat us in sustainability?

TURN OFF THOSE DAMN LIGHTS AND SHOW THEM THAT WE ARE LEARNING AND AREN'T JUST TALKING ABOUT IT.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain Hearts View Post
    Your antagonism is a crutch for mankind (and likely, yourself).
    I worry that anything that gets mainstream attention, people with the maturity of an angsty teenager, will be faced with cynicism and revolt because of conformity. Does the world look that stupid to you? You keep watching the media soap opera on Tiger Woods' affairs or the royal wedding and think everyone must care about this but guess what, NO ONE DOES. The media wants you to believe everyone does, but WE DON'T. When you keep thinking the person next to you is stupid, no one tries to make the effort and that's how it'll remain. Earth Hour matters because it comprises a democratic pursuit of voluntary activisim without the help of the government. No one does this out of fear. They do this out of hope.
    Regardless, this in itself is useless. If we turned this green hour into protests for governments innability to do anything in respect to anything outside of our capitalism, then it might mean something
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It raises the awareness of people, and that beats not doing anything any day. There is an Earth Day AND there is an Earth Hour. For those that can, do so. For those who can go past an hour, do so.

For every person that learns about sustainability, the better. For ever country that starts using alternative energy, the better. The more the people find better ways to use garbage as energy, the better. For those that learn that where we are heading currently isn't helping, the better.

What does that say about a country that doesn't look at how much energy they use? What does that say about a country that does not look at how much waste it outputs? Will this movement cease to exist if Sydney did not start it? Now, who are we to let another country beat us in sustainability?

TURN OFF THOSE DAMN LIGHTS AND SHOW THEM THAT WE ARE LEARNING AND AREN'T JUST TALKING ABOUT IT.

Rise against the system if you really care, don't just pick up little cans at the side of the road and replace gar bage from one place to the other. I'm talking about a real plan with real outcomes. Sure it sounds nice to "make people aware", but this whole awareness thing is a crock of shit if there is no plan for future protest.
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

It's a nice idea. but ina a capitalistic dumbed down CONSUMCONSUMECONSUME oil incentive rulling over green energy markets world, this is just a really small peice to how curropt our system is. Maybe make focus to why these problems exist, rather then just takking out an hour to pick up garbage on someone elses lawn to make the place look pretty
    1+1=3 OMFG

Rise against the system if you really care, don't just pick up little cans at the side of the road and replace gar bage from one place to the other. I'm talking about a real plan with real outcomes. Sure it sounds nice to "make people aware", but this whole awareness thing is a crock of shit if there is no plan for future protest.
    California has been doing it for a while now. Besides the giant piles of garbage, try implementing an energy changing plan like ours and the other states will cry foul.

And, if all goes according to plan (without the Congress changing it,) the U.S. would get greener in 10 years.

You may think it isn't rising against the system, but it is. How many companies and generators throughout the world have been built? How many of the old light bulbs will be changed to the new greener ones? How many perspectives have change since the 1980's until today?

Now, there are still many things that need to be changed.