First 3456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Ouch. She may be telling the truth, but nobody will ever believe it. She will leave those others with a lifetime of (likely) anger and regret. This is why you photocopy and distribute copies of group tickets...
    yeah, the article claims she bought the original batch and put them in the store safe... but then at the last minute the manager gave her another small bit of money to purchase more tickets and she went home with them after... instead of delivering them to the safe. So now she's claiming the group's tickets didn't match, just hers. Her and her seven kids.

We always photocopy the tickets and distribute them so that more than one person (aka everyone else) knows what the numbers are before the drawing.

In other exciting news of me feeling "DOH"...

But Pennsylvania sold five $250,000 winning tickets in that Mega Millions drawing.

And one was sold at the Rutters, 2125 Susquehanna Trail in York County.

Each of those winning tickets matched the five white balls, 02-04-23-38-46, but not the yellow Mega Ball 23, for a prize of $250,000, less 25 percent federal withholding.
    Yeah, the mega million was where I work; but that's where I live. I know where that Rutters is, it's a bit off the road from where Homegoods is. Arrrg.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Ouch. She may be telling the truth, but nobody will ever believe it. She will leave those others with a lifetime of (likely) anger and regret.
    There will be a lawsuit. I think she will lose unless she can come up with undeniable proof. No court is going to just take her word for it. She was placed in a position of trust. In the absence of evidence, an objective court will make a judgement based on what is more probable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    There will be a lawsuit. I think she will lose unless she can come up with undeniable proof. No court is going to just take her word for it. She was placed in a position of trust. In the absence of evidence, an objective court will make a judgement based on what is more probable.
    And isn't there a precedent for this type of case - where a member of a pool claimed to have bought the winning ticket on his own, but was made to share when the other group members sued? I think the man involved had bought tickets for his coworkers on a construction crew. Seems like this will be the same situation.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 4w5, Sp/Sx
    Socionics: EII-INFj
    Life Path 11, Destiny Number 9
    Pisces Sun, Scorpio Moon, Libra Ascendant

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The drama continues.
    (Was the other story just a sham to get attention? And for what purpose? Yeeesh.)

http://beta.local.yahoo.com/news-bro...ry-ticket.html

A Brookhaven woman said her son, who lives in Maryland, is one of the Mega Millions lottery winners.

"He said, 'Mom, I hit the lottery,' I said, 'I know, I've been trying to tell you that,'" Linda Bobo said.

On Monday, a Maryland McDonald's employee claimed she was one of the winners of the $640 million jackpot. But lottery officials said there was no evidence to substantiate the woman's claim.

Bobo believes her son is the winner....
    Anyway, as far as the rest of the article goes, this guy -- if he's the winner -- sounds like he'll be a little more successful conserving his wealth. He's also my age. Hmmm... wait, is he single?

Quote Originally Posted by WheresRocket View Post
    And isn't there a precedent for this type of case - where a member of a pool claimed to have bought the winning ticket on his own, but was made to share when the other group members sued? I think the man involved had bought tickets for his coworkers on a construction crew. Seems like this will be the same situation.
    Yeah, they just resolved it recently. The guy won $25 million and had to cought up $4 million apiece to the other members of his pool.

Moral of the story: If you're in a pool, make sure that you buy tickets on a separate trip and that all the members get a copy of the numbers that belong to the pool and all the money shelled out for tickets is accounted

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Mega Millions winner says ticket still hidden inside Baltimore McDonald’s
    One of the three Mega Millions jackpot winners says her winning ticket remains stashed away inside the Baltimore McDonald's where she works. But some of Marlinde Wilson's co-workers think she is telling a Big Lie.
    "I left my ticket there, and it's somewhere safe that only I know about," Wilson told the New York Post. "I'm waiting for things to calm down so I can go back to McDonald's and get it. The people [at McDonald's] are too excited. I want their heads to cool down before I go back."...
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...160453864.html
    She's SO full of it.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sorry, guys. Hard mathematical odds won out, and I'm still going back to work on Monday. Crap.
    I did win $3 on a 1+1 match, though -- ironically, the pair of 23's.
    There goes my nose job.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah. Right. Whatever.

http://www.inquisitr.com/216609/mega...ottery-ticket/

Earlier this week Mirlande Wilson claimed that she had one of the winning tickets in the Mega Millions Lottery. Then she said that she had it safely stashed at the McDonald’s where she worked. Now she says that she has “misplaced” the ticket.

When an NBC News reporter asked Wilson when she was going to claim her money (approximately $105 million after taxes) the supposed lottery winner said soon, you know, “if I can find the ticket.”

The confused reporter asked if Mirlande had lost the ticket. Wilson said she “misplaced” it.

Earlier this week, Wilson called a press conference to show the world her winning ticket and lay claim to her share of the money. But before the press conference began, her lawyer, Edward Smith Jr. told the journalist to go home.

...Wilson previously claimed that she was keeping the ticket in a safe place at McDonald’s. Wilson said:

“I left my ticket there, and it’s somewhere safe that only I know about. I’m waiting for things to calm down so I can go back to McDonald’s and get it. The people [that work at McDonald's] are too excited. I want their heads to cool down before I go back..."
    To quote the ever-articulate Hit Girl, "What a douche."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    There goes my nose job.
    Never fear -- I still might be able to get you SOMETHING to help with that nose:

MBTI
    INTj

One of the winners claimed the prize anonymously. What if someone from a poorly administered lottery pool did the same thing to cheat the partners? Would they get away with it?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    One of the winners claimed the prize anonymously. What if someone from a poorly administered lottery pool did the same thing to cheat the partners? Would they get away with it?
    It's kind of difficult to prosecute someone when no one knows a crime has been committed. Or when you don't know your pool won. I suppose if the person waited for some time before leaving their job, and didn't start spending lots of money quickly, you could cover it up and everyone might think you just went working for someone else.

This is also why a typical lottery pool involves the members all receiving copies of the numbers before the drawing. if you are giving money to a pool where you don't receive a copy of the numbers ahead of time, you're an idiot and almost deserve to be bilked.