User Tag List

Default Beneath decks...

In Belfast they have finally gotten around to doing something to mark out the city as the origin of the Titanic, I think that's a good thing but all the commemoration of either the triumph or tragedy of the Titanic appears do the usual vague sinking at sea horror, there's even been comparisons between the Titanic and more recent cruise liners sinking.

What I remember about the Titanic, which is only just reflected in the early black and white film "a night to remember" and missed out in the more modern romantic feature, is the class struggle aspect.

Not only was there an arrogance about not equipping it properly with life rafts, there being not enough, among the male survivors were the financiers and capitalists who were part of the commissioning, not the crew or poor passengers.

They were, quite literally, locked beneath decks to drown.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I actually thought the class difference was very clearly presented in Cameron's feature, in terms of who lived and died, who got precedence, etc., the entire lower class being locked behind gates to die -- it was one reason why Jack was from the lower class and Rose from the upper, to give even more notice to it -- but I would simply imagine it was even more horrific than depicted in the film, if we want to be truly gritty and realistic about it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I actually thought the class difference was very clearly presented in Cameron's feature, in terms of who lived and died, who got precedence, etc., the entire lower class being locked behind gates to die -- it was one reason why Jack was from the lower class and Rose from the upper, to give even more notice to it -- but I would simply imagine it was even more horrific than depicted in the film, if we want to be truly gritty and realistic about it.
    Why on Earth there wasn't a mutiny of the finest order, hurling the captain and capitalists alike into the sea, is beyond me.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Why on Earth there wasn't a mutiny of the finest order, hurling the captain and capitalists alike into the sea, is beyond me.
    Either classism from those in power, I suppose; or some of the underlings on staff weren't aware and/or thought the ship wasn't actually going down and they were just helping to maintain order? I think only the bigwigs truly knew the boat was toast, and they wanted to act like everything was fine in order to keep order. So one could justify locking up unruly passengers just to maintain order, if they didn't know those people would die.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Hear, hear.

I recently heard about the fate of those who got trapped in air pockets beneath decks which became like pressurised explosion chambers or something. Horrific.

I agree, although I dont know how class distinctions of the most vicious sort have endured quite like they have in any generation. Here in NI they've opened a huge expensive encounter centre which has a perfect reproduction of the stair case from the upperclass public suite but its not open to the public, its exclusive, for receptions and "important business class meetings". It was hilarious seeing someone from the project try to defend it, they didnt have the classic "look, its for the rich, alright" arrogance and were so uncomfortable with the obvious class discrimination which was at stake but had that angry, why you looking at me? reaction too. Cognitive Dissonance in action

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree, that was one of my favorite parts about the film, actually. People forget that it was more than just a romance.

I read a book called Star of the Sea which was very a commentary on this steerage vs stateroom class struggle... though the books is set abroad a famine ship, not a cruise liner, so that's a bit different.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/