User Tag List

12311 Last

FigerPuppet

Default Treyvon Martin shooting

CNN has been droning on about this for the past 3 days. One evening I understand, but a breaking news every time some new piece of information is discovered the last three days? Come on. Al-Qaeda must be on an early Easter break since silly season has started already.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm amazed it took this long for a thread to get started about this.

This story has been blowing up in the MSM for weeks.

FigerPuppet

This is fit for local news; state-wide if I'm feeling generous. It's ridiculous that even Obama has commented on this idiocy. And I do think Zimmerman is in the wrong here, but there's no need to blow it out of proportion.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

People have been gathering by the thousands about this, so based on that, I don't think it's being blow out of proportion at all. Clearly a nerve has been touched about race relations in America.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Not sure I'd chalk it up solely to silly season. Any tragic story involving racial tension is juicy, and when other newsworthy groups bring attention to the issue [like the Miami Heat players all posing in a photo] the interest sort of augments from many directions.

It's a story that's got a lot going for it. Police ineptitude/favoritism, racism, death of a minor, firearms, questions of what constitutes self defense, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    This is fit for local news; state-wide if I'm feeling generous. It's ridiculous that even Obama has commented on this idiocy. And I do think Zimmerman is in the wrong here, but there's no need to blow it out of proportion.
    Agreed.

Normally I wouldn't really have a problem, but I honestly think that too much attention to something like this does more harm than good. People start coming out of the woodwork across the country thinking they know more than the people actually involved in the case, and that annoys me.

MBTI
    INTJ

The problem is that most people that feel strongly about it are most likely not aware of all of the facts. Whether they're wrong or right, that's normally how these things go.

Too bad no one gives a shit about everyone else that gets shot. That's a tragedy.

It really is an unfortunate circumstance but the reality is, if you follow someone, you should consider the possibility that they won't be happy about it and if you attack someone, you should consider the possibility that they will shoot you.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Since no one else is going there what do you think about the stand your ground law itself? I vote nay.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Since no one else is going there what do you think about the stand your ground law itself? I vote nay.
    Nothing wrong with self defense [that'd be absurd] but I don't think the law really applies if you initiate the altercation yourself. And if it does, well, someone done goofed.

MBTI
    INTJ

Who initiated it is kind of in question, though, since the whole ordeal was initiated by Zimmerman, but if he actually lost sight of Martin and was walking back to his car then you can't really say that he initiated the struggle that ended with the gunshot.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume