User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 211

  1. #71
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    That doesn't even make sense. Clearly a group of people are in the know that this is a racial comment, but I'm not going to keep arguing with you about this.

    Nebbykoo was being racist. And that's that.


    what group of people, the 5 people who agreed with it? okay, whatever you say.

  2. #72
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post


    what group of people, the 5 people who agreed with it? okay, whatever you say.
    Even if you don't believe it's a racial slur (I knew it was without urban dictionary, and obviously other people do too, even if you don't) saying that only a suburban white person would disagree with their opinion, by insulting them, is still being racist.

  3. #73
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Is nebbykoo black? Or anything but white? If so, I had no idea that was the case.

    "Corn-fed" is a derogatory term used pretty much only against white people, particularly those from the Midwest.

    But, that being said, it's something one white person will say about another white person, to point to their race/size/socioeconomic-and/or-geographic-origins/level-of-culturedness/intelligence (to some degree). As such, it's not necessarily racist, but it can be, and, regardless, in this circumstance, what nebbykoo said was inappropriate and unnecessary.

  4. #74
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

    Ok, first off, I pay zero attention to those "white girl abducted/murdered" stories, so I really don't give a shit or know anything about Natalee Holloway.

    Second, based on the little I may know, I don't think the Natalee Holloway story had any racial component to it (aside from being a "media pays attention because white girl was abducted" story, and, seriously, don't treat it like that makes these two things the same, cuz, if you do, I will roast you over the fire with it).

    Third, by speaking about it the way that he did, Obama lent "legitimacy" to the mob, who don't know shit, and are basing their opinions off of pretty much everything (emotion, mostly) but the facts.

    Fourth, now that "revenge" beatings are happening, is Obama in no way responsible for said beatings? I would say that he is. Not entirely, of course, but he is for, in their eyes, lending "legitimacy" to the mob, whether that was his intention or not. As President, you're not supposed to throw fuel on the fire; you're supposed to throw water on it.

    Fifth, he was using it as political fodder, to try to appeal to black voters and mothers, and to do so is pathetic/disgusting.

    He should've just kept his mouth shut about it and told the justice department to look into it. If he said anything, he should've just said, "The Justice Department is looking into it to determine whether a law was violated, and, if one was, that the person who violated this law is being properly dealt with under the law."

    As it stands, he added fuel to the fire, and only made things worse.
    What he said was: "When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids…. If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon."

    Now, yes, that does seem to take a side insomuch as it makes Trayvon sympathetic, but I don't see how anyone, even those who think Zimmerman did not necessarily act inappropriately, can think it's good this kid was killed (especially since it's hard to argue that regardless of what occurred this pretty certainly could have been resolved without anyone's death). And that statement in no way makes it clear Zimmerman is guilty of anything.

    But, yes, I could see how some could see that as a legitimization. I'm not so sure it is, but I could see how it could look like one.

    But I have to insist the people who I've seen directly respond to the comment (you and I have no idea if the people responsible for these beatings are even aware he's addressed this at all) haven't been black people getting angrier or certainly, as far as I'm aware, being encouraged to take violent action, but white people who aren't angered he addressed the situation per se, but specifically this comment. It seems like they didn't care until he brought up the fact that he's black as well, as though it isn't something he is supposed to bring up.

    Here's the response I've seen:

    “What the president said in a sense is disgraceful. It’s not a question of who that young man looked like….We should all be horrified, no matter what the ethnic background. Is the president suggesting that if it had been a white who had been shot that would be okay because it didn’t look like him?” -Newt Gingrich

    Santorum said he (Obama) was "try[ing] to divide people"

    Limbaugh's "It is the least important thing, what the kid looks like"

    Every person I've even seen address the statement online have been white people worried Obama's starting some kind of race war or something.

    The thing is, they aren't angry he sympathized with Martin (which, if the issue is really splitting people, should be what they're angry about), they're angry he noted that both he and Trayvon were black. Which is just something that's objectively true. From what I can see it's them making it about race far more than Obama's statement.

    See, I think the mistake you're making is this has sparked conversation of how race and racism is treated in this nation. And I think there is legitimately a lot to talk about there. But what this isn't is a war between black people and white people. And, yeah, in my view Obama can totally (indirectly) acknowledge his race and Trayvon's and the subtext is not "look, this is black vs white."

    I also think no responsible or reasonable person could take that sentiment and translate it into violence, and it's very nearly impossible to cater to the unreasonable and irresponsible.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  5. #75
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    You know what I also don't like about this? It's something I should have pointed out when I acknowledged that the shooter is Latino and has a Peruvian mother: even Latino people who have genetically European ancestry culturally separate themselves from "whiteness." That's another reason why I find this so absurd. In Europe, "white" is considered an American cultural construct as a catch-all for people of European descent, as some Europeans are downright swarthy.

    My ISTP and his family are Argentinian (actually he is Argentine/Chilean) and they have genetic Northern Italian ancestry. ISTP is more Native looking that his mother because of his Chilean father (he has beautiful almond shaped eyes like an Asian person, but slightly lighter coloring, it's pretty damn cool, even though he had asshole teachers who thought he was squinting on purpose when he was a kid, and his mom had to go confront one of his teachers and said "Jesus Christ would you tell a Chinese child to open their eyes? What is wrong with you?") ...but yeah his ESFJ mom's eyes are blue, and she still refers to non-Latinos as "white people."

    So, in sum, I just find this case very frustrating. Even in the event that it was at all racially motivated, turning on "white people" to avenge a Latino man shooting a black man is so absurd it really does bother the hell out of me. Extremely.

  6. #76
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    So, in sum, I just find this case very frustrating. Even in the event that it was at all racially motivated, turning on "white people" to avenge a Latino man shooting a black man is so absurd it really does bother the hell out of me. Extremely.
    I'm not sure the extent to which that's imagined. While I'm sure there's some instances of that, but white people have felt victimized in the same way men have felt victimized for a while. A huge swatch of the population thinks reverse racism is a bigger issue than racism. I think whites, like men, are seeing the power even out and feel ilke they're being attacked when really things are just less unfair.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  7. #77
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'm not sure the extent to which that's imagined. While I'm sure there's some instances of that, but white people have felt victimized in the same way men have felt victimized for a while. A huge swatch of the population thinks reverse racism is a bigger issue than racism. I think whites, like men, are seeing the power even out and feel ilke they're being attacked.
    No, I think it's absurd racism to say all non-blacks are white.

    A balance of power is fine. I'm all for having an African-American president. I voted for him.

    There's a difference between balance of power, and racism. It's not "reverse racism." It's just racism.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Turtledove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Just to put my two cents in even though I may not know ALL the details of what happened. I can say that SOME of this isn't much different from the Jena 6 garbage the national news media pulled in Louisiana. All the media and Rev. Al Sharpton did was tear the town apart and put a bad name on the town and the state. The details we will probably never truly know, but I wish to do away martyr/victim garbage for the sake of entertainment in the news; it's more than likely so overexagerated. It's the same scenario here.
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

  9. #79
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No, I think it's absurd racism to say all non-blacks are white.

    A balance of power is fine. I'm all for having an African-American president. I voted for him.

    There's a difference between balance of power, and racism. It's not "reverse racism." It's just racism.
    That makes sense (though I guess it does beg the question of how one defines a race, since Zimmerman is in fact half-white and half-Latino).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  10. #80
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    That makes sense (though I guess it does beg the question of how one defines a race, since Zimmerman is in fact half-white and half-Latino).
    Latino isn't a race. Neither is white. That's my point. In the U.S. "Latino" and "white" are cultural constructs. That's why in Europe, they don't say "we're white people." Argentine's typically say they are Argentinian. They are different from Mexicans. Many Mexicans may be predominantly Spanish or even French, while Argentines are often Italian.

    And Hispanic just means "speaks Spanish." You can be black and have Spanish as your mother tongue.

    There are Latinos in the U.S. very pissed that they're all being grouped in with Zimmerman. He's Peruvian. It doesn't equal Mexican or Argentine or Puerto Rican.

    Now that we've cleared that up, it's the cultural identification that differs. It's primarily about culture.

    That's why attacking people with white skin is fucking retarded. There are Mexicans who are as white as I am, or whiter, because they are actually less Native American than I am (I'm part Cherokee). Those Mexicans just usually aren't seen as often living in the U.S.

    Race isn't as simple as people seem to want it to be. People want to simplify it because it's easier just to be racist than to actually ask subtle questions.

Similar Threads

  1. Game of Thrones / G.R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" (tv & book series)
    By nightwatcher in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 07:59 AM
  2. steve martin?
    By Lady_X in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
  3. Villagers shoot down advertising balloon over country park
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 11:59 PM
  4. SHOOT TO KILL!
    By ByMySword in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
  5. Iraq-Bound Soldier Hires Hitman To Shoot Him
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO