User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Regardless of the initial behavior of the participants, the situation should have ended with a exchange of words. Someone died, but the person at fault is the one who first escalated the interaction into an unpredictable violent conflict. I don't think the evidence support the position promoted by the media.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Forgive me let me fix that:
    What is the goal of all your their foot stomping and screaming?

What I meant to say is that the crime wasn't racially motivated.

Race may have played a role arousing the heightened level of suspicion in Zimmerman that led to the shooting.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but to use this man's prejudices as a reason to do either of the two things listed below is ridiculous:

Spike Lee’s Incorrect Tweet Causes Elderly Couple to Flee Home
    Famed director Spike Lee was forced to apologize after retweeting an incorrect tweet thought to reveal the address of George Zimmerman, who fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
    and:

Trayvon Martin case stirs extremists, groups say
    Meanwhile, the New Black Panther Party has offered a $10,000 reward for anyone who "captures" Zimmerman, an offer that Martin's family has condemned
    All I see are the terrible decisions of one man here, not something worth protesting race relations over.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by DiscoBiscuit; 04-01-2012 at 07:02 PM.

MBTI
    IsFJ

AlterNet has done a few articles about the case and its relation to race. Might be worth checking out.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

FigerPuppet

Spike Lee is a moron; a dangerous one at that. He should stick to directing and producing shitty movies instead of promoting vigilantism. I hope he'll be sued by the family whom he made the target of the angry mob. He's lucky if they don't push charges for putting their lives in danger.
    Same goes for the Black Panthers. These are the tactics of the Third World.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Only a corn-fed suburban white guy would say that this has nothing to do with race or class.
    Um, like, the guy who shot Treyvon Martin looks pretty damn fucking Latino.

I'm just sayin.'

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Um, like, the guy who shot Treyvon Martin looks pretty damn fucking Latino.

I'm just sayin.'
    He does. What does that have to do with my comment? It was directed at a member of this board, who is white.

He does. What does that have to do with my comment? It was directed at a member of this board, who is white.
    The only thing we can truly blame Zimmerman for right now is not following orders to not follow Treyvon. That is the only thing we can only truly hold him against. Stereotypes may have played a role, but pinning it as racism is pushing the envelope. My city and neighborhood, of all cities, won't last long if that was the case (thank god most of the city and the surrounding suburbs aren't so segregated in the broadest of terms[ not just black and white.]) What I've learned is to exercise caution, the first mark of calling this racism is the hallmark of not exercising caution, it is just reaching to conclusions.

A person wearing his hoodies up is a case left to interpretation. People are cautious whether you like it or not. I don't fully trust people I don't know with their hoodies up because I can't fully see the person's eyes, ears, hair, face.... etc. I avoid that very same thing by allowing my face to be seen unless the environment allows it (raining, extremely cold, etc.) I do allow myself some leeway, but again, caution is that word.

If you guys truly want to know an act of racism, it'll be a case like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Byrd,_Jr.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because you said only a white corn-fed person from the Midwest wouldn't think this was racially related.

I mean, your comment seems like you think only white people can be racist.

Which is racist of you, incidentally. Especially since the shooter in this case is identifiably Latino, even just by glancing at him.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

If I recall, he's half white half hispanic.

I'll note that I could buy the crime not being racially motivated (or at least not strongly racial), but I have trouble seeing a scenario where Zimmerman didn't kill an unarmed kid, so fuck that guy.

Even if race wasn't a factor, I think the chance to talk about that talking about the way police, juries, and the media relate to, show bias toward, and report of victims and perpertrators of different ethnicities is a worthwhile discussion and, if we don't all get over-emotional and lose our shit*, one that can actually make things better for our culture.

*of course we will. "We Will Get Over-Emotional And Lose Our Shit" should be the American motto.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Hispanic (or rather Latino/a) is ethnicity, not race. There are black ones and white ones and all shades in between.

Dunno about the race/ethnicity of the people who determined to release (with no charge and no further investigation) a guy with history of assault (including against a cop, no less) and a dead body on his hands without any form of testing of his body, blood or gun, though.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying