User Tag List

First 1119202122 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Self-defense laws are extremely convoluted. However, I believe in that case you would be considered an instigator in the fight and would be prosecutable. To be honest, I don't know though, like I said, the laws are very convoluted. Somehow I doubt it though, not even this case is that simple.
    Couldn't it be said that Zimmerman was instigating a fight by following him?

I mean, if I'm being followed by some guy in the middle of the night, I might turn around and confront him..

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I should have clarified that I didn't agree with the stance that article took against stand your ground.
    I don't agree with that article either.

Sanford (town where this happened) is about 20 miles away from where I live. The sentiment around here is (racism aside - no one really wants to talk about that) is that Zimmerman was not justified in this shooting. Stand Your Ground, if you read the statute, is to protect yourself against a forcible felony. I am in agreement with it. Zimmerman essentially negated (arguably, of course) the act of defense by following/confronting Trayvon. Once he did that, he now became an active participant to whatever "danger" was looming. Now, the arguments that will ensue is whether Zimmerman was leaving the scene (confrontation?) when he was attacked and does that pose a new timeline for the self-defense. Basically, when does the law apply during the nights events and when does it not?

The law will probably be repealed or changed because of this case.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Couldn't it be said that Zimmerman was instigating a fight by following him?

I mean, if I'm being followed by some guy in the middle of the night, I might turn around and confront him..

I don't think of following someone as instigating a fight, but I do see how others may think differently. However, if someone was following me, direct confrontation would be the last thing I would want to have happen. You know, just in case the guy was... I don't know... Carrying a gun?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I don't agree with that article either.

Sanford (town where this happened) is about 20 miles away from where I live. The sentiment around here is (racism aside - no one really wants to talk about that) is that Zimmerman was not justified in this shooting. Stand Your Ground, if you read the statute, is to protect yourself against a forcible felony. I am in agreement with it. Zimmerman essentially negated (arguably, of course) the act of defense by following/confronting Trayvon. Once he did that, he now became an active participant to whatever "danger" was looming. Now, the arguments that will ensue is whether Zimmerman was leaving the scene (confrontation?) when he was attacked and does that pose a new timeline for the self-defense. Basically, when does the law apply during the nights events and when does it not?

The law will probably be repealed or changed because of this case.
    I agree with everything you're saying.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Self-defense laws are extremely convoluted. However, I believe in that case you would be considered an instigator in the fight and would be prosecutable. To be honest, I don't know though, like I said, the laws are very convoluted. Somehow I doubt it though, not even this case is that simple.
    Then Zimmerman should be found guilty of murder or man-slaughter.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

I say who gives a fuck?

The media decides to release evidence whenever ti likes. At first they made it seem that the kid was innocent, show a picture of the kid at 15 years old all young and innocent. And months later they release photos of the cops head full of blood. THEY NEVER SHOWED THE BLOODY PICTURE BEFORE> TURNS OUT THE KID ISNT 15 YEARS OLD.

this is all a detraction so just mind your own business'
    1+1=3 OMFG

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    I say who gives a fuck?

The media decides to release evidence whenever ti likes. At first they made it seem that the kid was innocent, show a picture of the kid at 15 years old all young and innocent. And months later they release photos of the cops head full of blood. THEY NEVER SHOWED THE BLOODY PICTURE BEFORE> TURNS OUT THE KID ISNT 15 YEARS OLD.

this is all a detraction so just mind your own business'
    distraction from what?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From Politico:

‘Stand Your Ground’ backed in Florida, poll shows

Despite increased scrutiny of Florida’s gun laws following the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, a majority of the state’s voters support the state’s Stand Your Ground law.

Indeed, 56 percent of the registered voters in Florida support the law, compared with 35 percent who oppose it, according to a new Quinnipiac poll.

The polling showed a notable racial divide: White voters supported the controversial law 61 percent to 31 percent; while Hispanic voters supported it 53 percent to 36 percent. Black voters are opposed, 56 percent to 30 percent.

George Zimmerman, the man alleged to have shot Trayvon Martin, is of Hispanic descent, while Martin is black.

Zimmerman has claimed that he shot Martin in self-defense during a confrontation in his Sanford, Fla., neighborhood on Feb. 26. Florida’s Stand Your Ground law allows individuals to use deadly force in their own defense.

Meanwhile, support was strongest among Republicans, who supported it 78 percent to 15 percent, while independents supported it 58 percent to 35 percent. A majority of Democrats opposed it: 59 percent to 32 percent.

Men were more likely to support the law than women, supporting it 65 percent to 31 percent. Women supported the law 48 percent to 39 percent.

The Quinnipiac poll was conducted May 15-21 with a sample of 1,722 voters and a margin of error of 2.4 percentage points.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Then Zimmerman should be found guilty of murder or man-slaughter.
    Lets not be too hasty, he gets the right trial first with the presentation of evidence, presumption of innocence and the right to raise any valid defenses.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    distraction from what?
    this is being a media trialed situation, let's leave it to the courts as we always have. It's a detraction from things we should be paying more attention about
    1+1=3 OMFG