User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Some advocate changing stand your ground so that it only applies at your place of residence and place of employment the argument being that you have nowhere to escape to in these situations, but that in public it is possible to flee. What do you think of this?

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Some advocate changing stand your ground so that it only applies at your place of residence and place of employment the argument being that you have nowhere to escape to in these situations, but that in public it is possible to flee. What do you think of this?
    Sounds reasonable.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

It's not always possible to flee, regardless of where you are, that is terrible reasoning. What, someone getting raped or murdered away from their homes is just too lazy to flee or something?

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    It's not always possible to flee, regardless of where you are, that is terrible reasoning. What, someone getting raped or murdered away from their homes is just too lazy to flee or something?
    Yeah.

Anyway:
    A stand-your-ground law states that a person may use deadly force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat, without an obligation to retreat first.
    So if a person reaches for his gun, you don't have to flee and may instead draw your own gun faster to shoot him.

MBTI
    intp

I find it to be a very sad thing that a child being killed has become so politicized. I get the distinct impression that Trayvon Martin is just a stand in for every black person who has been discriminated against since Rodney King.

In my mind, there are only two questions to answer here: was Zimmerman justified in shooting Martin, and were the police negligent in investigating this incident? The why (prejudice, laziness, poor training) follows from these questions, not the other way around. It is inappropriate to speculate on the why until these facts can be determined. It's like no one knows what 'begging the question' is.
    Last edited by dala; 03-30-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: poor editing

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    In my mind, there are only two questions to answer here: was Zimmerman justified in shooting Martin, and were the police negligent in investigating this incident? The why (prejudice, laziness, poor training) follows from these questions, not the other way around. It is inappropriate and into speculate on the why until these facts can be determined.
    This is more or less how I feel about the case as well. The core of the case is being drowned out by everyone shouting hate crime. If Zimmerman actually was acting in self-defense, and I'm not saying that he was, then it is highly unlikely that this was a hate crime. But I don't know all the facts, and I won't pretend to like so many people are in this case.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    I find it to be a very sad thing that a child being killed has become so politicized. I get the distinct impression that Trayvon Martin is just a stand in for every black person who has been discriminated against since Rodney King.

In my mind, there are only two questions to answer here: was Zimmerman justified in shooting Martin, and were the police negligent in investigating this incident? The why (prejudice, laziness, poor training) follows from these questions, not the other way around. It is inappropriate and into speculate on the why until these facts can be determined. It's like no one knows what 'begging the question' is.
    That is exactly why people have protested, and by extension why it has been 'politicized'. The legality of the shooting hinges on the interpretation of the law in question.
    This is about murder and it's justification vis-a-vis the interface of class and race-based entitlement.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    So if a person reaches for his gun, you don't have to flee and may instead draw your own gun faster to shoot him.
    If you are close enough to touch each other, it probably is much safer for you to attack a person pulling a gun on you than for you to run. If he had had a knife, everything probably would have went much better for him.

The problem with everyone wanting to change this law, and when people wish to create new laws about this kind of thing (both knee-jerk reactions), is that they assume that people are looking at these situations in hind sight and assume the participants were some how level headed while it was going on. Honestly, who, while fighting for their life (or thinking that they are) would pause to reflect on the legality of their actions?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

FigerPuppet

"Now on Piers Morgan Tonight: Tyson Talks Trayvon"

Get a grip.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Florida is such a backwards, fucked up State.