First 12

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course religious warfare is fought for absolute aims, and so the compromise of a political settlement is neither desirable nor possible.

However the war that may be fought from Australian soil will have China as the enemy, and unlike jihad, will be fought for political reasons, namely, to reach a political settlement between China and the USA.
    Political settlement between USA and china? wtf? USA needs to pay china, that's the only settlement they will accept. Unless you mean, blow up china until they surrender, type of settlement
    1+1=3 OMFG

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    On the other hand, drones seem to be a little unsporting. I mean we felt B-52s bombing Vietnamese villagers were a little unsporting, and drones seem to be taking this to a new level of dissociation.
    [...]
    Technology makes dissociation so much easier.
    I always appreciate topics that touch upon what I study for a living. Victor does a great job of summing up the whole shebang.

Long and short, it's well-known that it's more difficult to kill when you're up close and personal--for good or for bad--because your conscience will not let you do so (see SLA Marshall, whose exact findings are circumspect but still revealing). We learned that we had to resort to other tactics, such as ingraining killing as a habit or removing the 'carriers of the deed' from their moral consequences.

Regarding the latter--it's easier to kill when you're in a plane dropping bombs, easier still when you're in Virginia controlling a remote drone in Afghanistan, easier still when you're designing an automated weapon system. It's also easier if you regard your enemy as "not human," "different," or at least opposed to your interests, etc.

I'm trying to leave my own moral assessment aside in this post. I have a moral assessment, though..

vv Haha, I sure did edit my post a whole fat lot after you quoted me. Oh well vv

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I always appreciate topics that touch upon what I study for a living.

Long and short, it's well-known that it's more difficult to kill when you're up close and personal--for good or for bad--because your conscience will not let you do so (see SLA Marshall, whose exact findings are circumspect but still revealing). We learned that we had to resort to other tactics, such as ingraining killing as a habit or removing the 'carriers of the deed' from their moral consequences.

Regarding the latter--it's easier to kill when you're in a plane dropping bombs, easier still when you're in Virginia controlling a remote drone in Afghanistan, easier still when you're designing an automated weapon system. It's also easier if you regard your enemy as "not human," "different," opposed to your interests, etc.
    Quite so.

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Political settlement between USA and china? wtf? USA needs to pay china, that's the only settlement they will accept. Unless you mean, blow up china until they surrender, type of settlement
    Good heavens, no. China makes it plain what they want. They want to return to their position of pre-eminence they enjoyed for millennia. And they explicitly recognise they will have to share their pre-eminence with the USA.

All China and the USA have to do is to negotiate a political settlement of equality.

This is hard for the USA to swallow, but China is not going away.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Many police forces within the united states want to use drones for surveillance on american citizens as well...

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Many police forces within the united states want to use drones for surveillance on american citizens as well...
    Yes, we have CCTV cameras everywhere, and our military says the Joint Strike Fighter is the last manned warplane we will buy. From then on it will be drones.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

What's the name of that dude who anthropomorphizes #drones?

Like..

#drones loves brc burritos from el pollo loco. Fuel up before raiding the pakistani border #drones