User Tag List

First 12

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@bologna funny thing is that I actually am all FOR looking around at other people's opinions in the process of forming one's own because they could bring up some valid counterarguments that you need to build a defense against or that could actually change how you were viewing things... you have to know your competition if you're going to go around having opinions and such
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    @bologna funny thing is that I actually am all FOR looking around at other people's opinions in the process of forming one's own because they could bring up some valid counterarguments that you need to build a defense against or that could actually change how you were viewing things... you have to know your competition if you're going to go around having opinions and such
    Man, same here. Conflict brings out the best ideas, so long as everyone's actually flippin' listening to one another. Counterarguments can strengthen your own beliefs if you can answer them, and arguments that align with yours serve as independent corroboration. One of our panel discussions just today was on the 'business case for diversity' (in the context of an interfaith/intercultural dialog). That about summed up my answer as to why we should aim for diversity in a practical sense.

I see very little downside in having convictions, beliefs, and opinions but testing them against the world--the trouble is actually testing them instead of just deluding yourself into thinking that you are testing them when you're really not giving them the due diligence that the process deserves.

I keep wanting to post more of my opinions to be persuaded against, but I keep having counterarguments with myself and I'm not sure where to stop them so that I can actually post something tangible

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@bologna... I couldn't come up with anything that I couldn't argue with myself about really except for one point... And nobody has even TRIED to convince me that tofu is delicious and wonderfully textured yet!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett