User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do voters know? (the answer may depress you)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I've seen the country actually becoming less and less democratic for the past several decades.
    In some ways perhaps. But, way too many decisions are based on "public opinion". And, "public opinion" seems to largely be manufactured sound bites from the MSM (and I definately include in the MSM fox, Rush, et al.) unthinkingly repeated by the masses back to pollsters.

On top of that, are you saying that the USA 200 years ago was the best the USA has ever been?
    Did I mean something I didn't say and couldn't reasonably be inferred from what I did say?

And the issue of this thread isn't really about being more or less democratic. Anyone can tell you that democracy, in whatever amount it is present, will be a negative or positive presence based on the civic literacy of the citizenry.
    Yes, but when a government is dedicated to procedures that balance and restrain power holding the law above all people then demagoguery is less likely regardless of how ill-informed the populace might be. At least when you have a law like the U.S. constitution that's the case.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I think the term for this is "As long as the narrative fits..." It seems like we all have certain conclusions stuck in our heads and whichever explanation/reason comes closest to leading to that conclusion will become 'fact'. Doesn't really matter how illogical it becomes when we dig deeper and look at it from various angles.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

They know what they are allowed to know, if they care enough to know even that.
    "It's never enough." The Cure