Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Fixing Mexico?

Perhaps I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be on the subject, but why don't we focus our attention not towards Uganda or Iran or any other country except Mexico? Seriously, the entire place is run by drug lords and many people fear fo their lives, resulting in a large influx of illegal immigration (I think 50% of illiegal immigrants come from Mexico). We should focus our attention there.

What measures could we take to fix up the country? Obviously full out war wouldn't be an option, or would it after out economy revitalizes? Or what non-violent means could the U.S. take to ensure the reconstruction of their nation? Should we annex them? Ignore them? Etc.?

MBTI
    INFP

Legalise all the drugs, at the very minimum decriminalization. If you only decriminalize use, production is still controlled illegally by the cartels. Industrial hemp farming campaigns.
    This is classic violence from the Al Capone days, deal with it the same way.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Legalise all the drugs, at the very minimum decriminalization. If you only decriminalize use, production is still controlled illegally by the cartels. Industrial hemp farming campaigns.
    I have thought about that idea before. Although in order to completely take away the production of the drug cartel's merchandise we would need full legalization so that it's buyable within the states; only decriminalization would still mean that people have to buy their drugs off the street if selling them isn't fully legal. And of course there's problem that arise with letting anyone purchase and use drugs that are dangerous, not to mention how the market would make such drugs affordable, or at least cheaper than what the drug cartels sell.

But overall, would it really be enough to cripple their power completely? Surely they'll adapt and find somewhere else to make their drug money, and they already control a large portion of the government due to their corruption.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Perhaps I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be on the subject, but why don't we focus our attention not towards Uganda or Iran or any other country except Mexico? Seriously, the entire place is run by drug lords and many people fear fo their lives, resulting in a large influx of illegal immigration (I think 50% of illiegal immigrants come from Mexico). We should focus our attention there.
    I say we fix all of OUR problems first before we tinker with other people's.
    No one appreciates it when we the U.S. does try to help, so fuck it. Fix the homeland.
    Once our shit is in order I'm for fixing up Mexico before dinkering with the Middle East or elsewhere, but not a moment sooner.
    It's not unwise to look after your neighbors for many reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    What measures could we take to fix up the country? Obviously full out war wouldn't be an option, or would it after out economy revitalizes? Or what non-violent means could the U.S. take to ensure the reconstruction of their nation? Should we annex them? Ignore them? Etc.?
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here.
    Have you ever considered that the powers that be are "OK" with Mexico as it is, regardless of how fucked up it is?
    Can you imagine any reasons why it behooves the existing power structure(s) to think as such?
    Thinking we can dump money into any foreign land and fix it is terribly naieve.
    Look how well Pakistan is doing.
    Look how well Israel is doing.
    Good puppet states we do not create.
    Money transferred under such premises is rarely spent as intended...

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Because thats not how American Imperialism works.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I say we fix all of OUR problems first before we tinker with other people's.
    No one appreciates it when we the U.S. does try to help, so fuck it. Fix the homeland.
    Once our shit is in order I'm for fixing up Mexico before dinkering with the Middle East or elsewhere, but not a moment sooner.
    It's not unwise to look after your neighbors for many reasons...
    Well of course; I'm actually in favor of keeping the border closed off and limiting legal immigration, until the local economy is reconstructed and our infrastructure is redesigned (or tweeked) to accomodate more people.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.
    Have you ever considered that the powers that be are "OK" with Mexico as it is, regardless of how fucked up it is?
    Can you imagine any reasons why it behooves the existing power structure(s) to think as such?
    When you say 'power that be' do you mean the U.S. government or the Mexican government? In the case of the former, there might be little hope then for any sort of intervention if the politicians have no desire to do anything about it. The only method then would be a mass media movement that drastically encourages intervention while demonizing the enemy with the support of celebrities and oh wait . . .

In the case of the latter, the Mexican government is so corrupted that I think most of it is controlled by the drug cartels who of course would never be in favor of such military endeavors.

Thinking we can dump money into any foreign land and fix it is terribly naieve.
    Look how well Pakistan is doing.
    Look how well Israel is doing.
    Good puppet states we do not create.
    Money transferred under such premises is rarely spent as intended...
    True, and I'm against just throwing money at the problem, rather I think that full reconstruction would be needed; we could attempt to fix a nation by supporting those who would use power wisely, but we can't outright take care of them forever, systems would need to be set up in order to get them to become their own independent self-governing nations.

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    Because thats not how American Imperialism works.
    So we should go invading with an army instead, and then spend a decade fighting an unwinable battle while the country feels divided on the matter?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've been talking about how much more important Mexico is to our national security than the middle east for a while.

Unfortunately, the failed drug war allows our govt to spend billions creating agencies and enforcing legislation.

Not to mention how much we spend on border security generally.

The problem is, that once a program and its spending is authorized, the govt is generally loath to repeal it and lose the jobs created by it, and the money it required.

But yea, in terms of our actual national security picture, Mexico is a way bigger deal than the middle east.

I'll prob post more later.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Unfortunately, the failed drug war allows our govt to spend billions creating agencies and enforcing legislation.
    This is one of the things I was alluding to...
    Gotta' keep them prison guards employed.

Not to mention how much we spend on border security generally.
    Money poorly spent, considering the overall lack of border security.

The problem is, that once a program and its spending is authorized, the govt is generally loath to repeal it and lose the jobs created by it, and the money it required.
    An excellent point.

Laws are a pain in the ass to pass, and funding is a nightmare to obtain.

It's a shame that if the intended results are not achiefved by such efforts that our leaders are too damn sorry to pull the plug on them.

American elected officials have no concept of the concepts of "SUNK COST" (no matter how much more money you dump into it, you'll never get back what you've already lost on this bad idea) or "OPPORTUNITY COST" (Do they have any idea what else could be done with those funds that is actually useful? Obviously not. If they do, they don't care, and that's even worse).

But yea, in terms of our actual national security picture, Mexico is a way bigger deal than the middle east.
    +1, totally agreed.

I'll prob post more later.
    I hope so.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I find it arrogant to assume we can fix others when we fail to fix ourselves.. We have some ideas right, but we're not so far away from people leaving the country to take refuge elsewhere. Medical costs, disagreement on education and the way the country is going.. People talk about leaving all the time. It used to be jokes.. but lately, the jokes have evolved into more serious notes. I don't think to compare the US to under developed countries.. but I fear we aren't the safe haven we once were, just a wall once made of gold now hollowed out and replaced with cheap sand. Gilded, but people are starting to notice what is underneath.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    I have a better idea. Americans could stop buying drugs.

It is a tough situation though. I have pondered this question more than once myself.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte