User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default People are idiots

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73829.html

Names get called. Someone apologizes. Everything is peaches and cream. I learned this shit when I was 3.

Except, the person doing the name calling ain't 3, and the people who won't accept it ain't 3. What you put out of your mouth has consequences, I've learn that when I was young.

Ohhhhh, I am so glad a lot of the businesses in my region stop supporting him and his talk-show. It means he can finally stop being synonymous with my region.

MBTI
    ISTx

My point is that Rush made an offensive comment for which he apologized and now people (and not even the victim) are talking about trying to prosecute him. He's a conservative political talk show host, his whole persona is for the purpose of ruffling feathers. He stepped the line, yeah, but a lawsuit? Seriously? These are cases the court system DOES NOT need to be bogged down with. This is just stupid. Everything about this whole situation (even before mention of prosecution) is ridiculous. I've been laughing a lot at politics lately. It's a freakin' circus.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    My point is that Rush made an offensive comment for which he apologized and now people (and not even the victim) are talking about trying to prosecute him. He's a conservative political talk show host, his whole persona is for the purpose of ruffling feathers. He stepped the line, yeah, but a lawsuit? Seriously? These are cases the court system DOES NOT need to be bogged down with. This is just stupid. Everything about this whole situation (even before mention of prosecution) is ridiculous. I've been laughing a lot at politics lately. It's a freakin' circus.
    I do, however, agree. Having been cut off by the businesses around here, where some have supported the station and him for 20-something-years is good enough for me. Going any further is just asking for public attention.

If the person doesn't like Rush, they can just switch stations. Less viewers, less business support for the radio station. That is exactly what I do, if/whenever I do listen to that radio station, it ain't on Limbaugh's time-slot - EVER (and they have both an AM and FM station here.)

I've been laughing a lot at politics lately. It's a freakin' circus.
    It has been a circus for a long time, and it'll probably get worse until the campaigns die down.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It has been a circus for a long time, and it'll probably get worse until the campaigns die down.
    No doubt.

MBTI
    INTP

He's a conservative political talk show host, his whole persona is for the purpose of ruffling feathers. He stepped the line, yeah, but a lawsuit? Seriously?
    It is almost like his feathers are being ruffled

If a law is broken, it is broken

If slander is a crime, then would a court of law not have a responsibility to prosecute an alleged criminal?

Surely there must be evidence to be presented, or else there would be no case

Am I missing something?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    It is almost like his feathers are being ruffled

If a law is broken, it is broken

If slander is a crime, then would a court of law not have a responsibility to prosecute an alleged criminal?

Surely there must be evidence to be presented, or else there would be no case

Am I missing something?
    Yes, you're missing where Sandra Fluke hasn't made mention of any intent to prosecute. Maybe Fluke is a reasonable person that saw Rush's hyperbolic comment as nothing but bad form, and has decided to accept an apology... You know, kind of like reasonable people do when they're called a mean name.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, you're missing where Sandra Fluke hasn't made mention of any intent to prosecute. Maybe Fluke is a reasonable person that saw Rush's hyperbolic comment as nothing but bad form, and has decided to accept an apology... You know, kind of like reasonable people do when they're called a mean name.
    Is her stance relevant?

I am no lawyer, but as I understand, if a crime is committed and a victim is identified, that victim is not necessarily responsible for any part of the prosecution

For example, if you were to murder me or attempt to murder me, you could be brought to trial regardless of me holding any grudge against you

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Is her stance relevant?

I am no lawyer, but as I understand, if a crime is committed and a victim is identified, that victim is not necessarily responsible for any part of the prosecution

For example, if you were to murder me or attempt to murder me, you could be brought to trial regardless of me holding any grudge against you
    I get what you're saying, but this isn't murder. In murder, it's obvious that a crime has been committed. Whereas, there's no definitive proof that a crime has been committed in this case. Even if this thing did go to trial, the plaintiff would need a preponderance of evidence to have any success in getting a favorable ruling. A key piece of the evidence needed in cases of libel/slander is for the victim to prove personal or monetary harm (among other criteria). Until this information can be gathered and presented to the court, technically no crime has been committed and thus there is no legal obligation to prosecute.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

An understanding of the difference between Civil and Criminal Law escapes this one.