User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Afgan Women

Afgan Women

Hamid Kazai, the President of the Islamic Republic of Afganistan, has declared all women to be inferior and subject to beatings under Sharia according to the Koran.

In the meantime we are fighting and dying for the people of Afganistan - well not all the people, and certainly not the largest group of Afgans, women.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Interestingly we have lots of protests here in support of introducing Sharia Law, there are already many Sharia law courts in the U.K, and frequently domestic cases are referred to them (Islamic marriges) from our own main system... lovely!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

That reminds me how one of our ministers made a big controversy by saying "Not all civilizations are equal". Thinking about this kind of crap made me agree with him, yet apparently most people in my country were shocked.
    It seems the crusade against racism is taking us to the other extreme - we're turning a blind eye on all kinds of behaviors and are no longer able to formulate our own opinions and critics.

Hopefully the "arab spring" will have a beneficial effect on women, but from what I've heard it isn't the case as many countries fear that islamic radicals are going to take power.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I would be quite surprised if the Arab Spring yields any concrete benefits for women and girls. It will take real democratic and social reform for that to happen, and the Arab world isn't ready for that level of change and movement away from the dominant patriarchy. It will require them to move away from Islam as the bedrock of society and toward a system that separates church and state. that's the only way that the status of women will rise, because it will allow them to pursue educational goals freely, and education is the best path for improving their lives.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Always amazes me how little attention threads like this get in comparrison to some bullshit thread about for example...game of thrones.
    Speaks fucking volumes about peoples priorities. And i was told people do care...do they fuck!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Interestingly we have lots of protests here in support of introducing Sharia Law, there are already many Sharia law courts in the U.K, and frequently domestic cases are referred to them (Islamic marriges) from our own main system... lovely!
    This is truly unbelievable. How is this possible?

Always amazes me how little attention threads like this get in comparrison to some bullshit thread about for example...game of thrones.
    Speaks fucking volumes about peoples priorities. And i was told people do care...do they fuck!
    Oh, please.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Unless Vic has some reliable sources to back up this quote exactly - Hamid Kazai, the President of the Islamic Republic of Afganistan, has declared all women to be inferior and subject to beatings under Sharia according to the Koran. - then no I'm not taking it seriously.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

... And I just posted in a game of thrones thread.

I also posted in your thread the other day about Sharia laws, but maybe I annoyed people there. In short, my opinion is that tolerance is just a tool. Not a way of life. The west and/or democratically minded people are more inclined to make it a way of life. To think that it's instrincally good to be tolerant. Ironically, this how you destroy democracy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

There's no need for a quote... it isn't news that millions of women in the world are being treated like slaves. It also isn't news that nobody really cares.
    Instead we (in Europe) make headlines about how a few dozen Swiss children died in an accident. As tragic as it is, I find it a little pathetic that we make such a big fuss about this when millions of children are starving in Africa and others are being exploited to make shoes, computers, etc... for us.
    When I point this, the typical answer is a one-liner or a quick change of subject. I don't believe people don't care at all, it's just too much to bear and / or imagine.