First 12

Thread: Afgan Women

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    And i was told people do care...do they fuck!
    What idealistic fool told you this? Most people are ignorant sheep who run in sheer terror from anything that might force them to form opinions or have any valuable sort of insight into substantial world issues. (I think that education, mentioned below, is key in changing this in most cases, not just those as extreme as the situation outlined, but that's a discussion for another day.)

That said, I agree with @nebbykoo's statement regarding the importance of women's education, and with his remark regarding separation of the state and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    What idealistic fool told you this? Most people are ignorant sheep who run in sheer terror from anything that might force them to form opinions or have any valuable sort of insight into substantial world issues. (I think that education, mentioned below, is key in changing this in most cases, not just those as extreme as the situation outlined, but that's a discussion for another day.)

That said, I agree with @nebbykoo's statement regarding the importance of women's education, and with his remark regarding separation of the state and religion.
    Speaking of education, people should simply inform themselves of sharia laws. Just one glance should be enough to piss people off. Since some don't inform themselves, they don't get angry enough about it.

In Britain's case, they're just allowing it in minor domestic cases, but there's no reason why a segment of society should operate by different laws - and secondly, it's kind of a trojan horse anyways. It sets a bad precedent. What next?

Women's rights are only a part of it. You can't even own a dog under sharia law. And before that gets laughed at, there are already people in the Netherlands trying to impose laws about dogs being in public spaces. And in the town of Lerida, Spain, any dogs in public are being killed. Anyone walking their pets get harassed. Because it's "offensive" to the Muslims to be around these (apparently) unclean animals. And as far as Britain goes, some Muslim citizens are trying to act out their own private version of martial law, pasting stickers on walls and lamp posts saying their neighborhoods are "Sharia controlled zones". As far as these guys are concerned, you can't even have a party in their neighborhood, or have men and women talking to each other in public. At the very least, you're asking for a fight if you do.

It's not a really current possibility that laws like that have a chance of being passed, but the growing assertiveness of these populations is bad enough. That they even think it's OK to bring that shit up is bad enough. I don't think there's any real solution to it other than to scare them out of it. This way Sharia never has a chance in the future. Ironically, when they are in democracies, they should feel uncomfortable, oppressed, and maybe even under threat. But no one wants to make anyone feel that way. So they're going to have to deal with it when it gets worse.

Anyways, I'm starting to rant. Luckily, I live in Texas.