User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default H.R. 4170-Student debt loan forgiveness

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. Maybe it'll lead toward more comprehensive reform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEj-...ature=youtu.be

For some reason, I can't get this video to embed properly.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So many students are going to college these days and are not able to find a job in their chosen field through no fault of their own. Maybe some of the students could have opted for a major with better job prospects making it easier to pay off the debt but many students still are not finding work and/or didn't realize that it would be such a problem. Either way, the cost of college has gotten outrageously expensive and I think loan forgiveness is a step in the right direction. Either that or just reduce the cost of college to begin with.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What I like about this bill is that it's not blanket forgiveness without conditions. You have to pay a certain amount for 10 years, then you can get the balance of your loan forgiven. In a way, it sort of ties the cost of education to the salary you make after getting out, which I think isn't a bad idea. Unfortunately, this only covers federal loans, not private loans.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Lol if you are going to talk about forgiveness i want nothing less then discussion of complete revolution. This is capitalism, be eaten or eat X)
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    intp

A more appropriate long-term solution is to cap student loan rates such that the average student would be able to pay it back in a reasonable amount of time after graduation. Say the expected average earnings of a graduate with a certain degree is $40,000* per year, and the expected un/underemployment rate in the field is 8% (dropping expected earnings to $36800). Say the loan amortizes over 10 years, and you don't want a loan that will take up any more than, say, 15% of earnings, or $5520 per year. This means the total loan for that degree should not exceed $55200, including interest costs (probably closer to $40,000 before interest).

This is no different than making sure a loan doesn't exceed the value of the collateral behind it. It will more accurately signal market needs (if more doctors are needed, wages will increase, indirectly increasing funding available), price degrees based on actual value, and reduce incidents of schools raising fees to match funding.

*all numbers purely for demonstration purposes and in no way intended to reflect reality*

MBTI
    INTj

This is a good tactic by the Democrats for getting young folks to the voting booth come November.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is a good tactic by the Democrats for getting young folks to the voting booth come November.
    Winner winner chicken dinner.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I hope it works.
    I'm not keen on having Shit Romney as President.
    Wait, is it Shit OnMe?
    Mitt Shittney?
    Oh hell, the slimy used car salesman looking guy.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Yay! *votes*

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Don't you mean Democrat (singular)?