User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You are sentenced to death. Hanging from the gallows is just the method used to accomplish it.

But you are not really asking this, are you?
    Hanging from the gallows is a gamble the State plays on the structural integrity of its own ropes. If they bought wholesale & got some clodhopper's practice batch with the fibers about to split, the hanged man gets to sprint away into the woods like a furious midget when they bounce off the ground.

In my opinion.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

garbage

If we are to sentence people to death, then we expect them to wind up dead and we ought to carry out their sentences. I don't think that they should get off on a technicality such as "whoops, the method itself fucked up."

This says nothing about whether or not we should sentence people to death in the first place, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No. Imagine if someone like Ted Bundy was sentenced to death and this happened, would it benefit society for him to go free?
    If Bundy were an innately lucky man who avoided dire fate because fortune smiled upon him everywhere he went, and if we could find a way to channel his luck into a more universal good, then it would benefit society to let him go free.

Otherwise, no, it wouldn't.

FigerPuppet

Of course not. Sounds like something out of Hollywood.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

well, I've always had a wild imagination.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Hanging from the gallows is a gamble the State plays on the structural integrity of its own ropes. If they bought wholesale & got some clodhopper's practice batch with the fibers about to split, the hanged man gets to sprint away into the woods like a furious midget when they bounce off the ground.

In my opinion.
    I'll come back to this as soon as I'm in a silly mood.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    If Bundy were an innately lucky man who avoided dire fate because fortune smiled upon him everywhere he went, and if we could find a way to channel his luck into a more universal good, then it would benefit society to let him go free.

Otherwise, no, it wouldn't.

Huh? Are you talking about this Ted Bundy?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Huh? Are you talking about this Ted Bundy?
    It was a joke. I agree with you, actually, that it wouldn't benefit society to allow someone to go free on a technicality.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    All that extra weight should prove very expensive when translated into fuel, though.
    Hmmm... I wonder if there is a way to convert criminals into natural fuel.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!"
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder if there is a way to convert criminals into natural fuel.
    Just tie them close enough to the base of the rocket that they are vaporized during launch.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."