User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Probably high on meth or crack. So you want to bring the message home to America by focusing on your 5-year old son and asking the public how we can let the atrocities against children in central Africa take place without boisterously voicing our opposition? That's great, but how about you focus on taking care of your own child by not being an intoxicated idiot.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...142970255.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Probably high on meth or crack. So you want to bring the message home to America by focusing on your 5-year old son and asking the public how we can let the atrocities against children in central Africa take place without boisterously voicing our opposition? That's great, but how about you focus on taking care of your own child by not being an intoxicated idiot.

wow.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    wow.
    You got my point, and it wasn't to say that the Kony situation isn't deserving of attention.

MBTI
    INTj

He's invisible no more.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

LOL, this guy has 2 children and wants to have 9 more? Maybe he plans to pay for those children with the charity donations he's taking in.

Russell is one of the the founders responsible for the "Kony 2012" video that recently went viral. He is described on the organization's website as a co-founder and "our grand storyteller and dreamer." Russell is also described as a Christian and father to two children who wants to have nine more children with his wife he calls his "best friend for over 23 years."
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Sniffles

I haven't seen the film and have little interest in doing so. I admit my African history is a little rusty, but I am aware of many of the conflicts, atrocities, and whatnot that have occured in post-colonial Africa over the past almost 60 years now. From the conflicts in the Katanga, to the wars in Rhodesia, to the brutal regime of Idi Amin in Uganda(which is where KONY takes place), of course to the genocide in Rwanda, civil war in Sudan, and so on. So this type of stuff isn't new to Africa. Tragic no doubt, but there's only so much the West can do to help. Let's also keep in mind these people fought hard to be able to decide their own fate without interference from the West.

Sniffles

Let's also keep in mind these people fought hard to be able to decide their own fate without interference from the West.
    One member suggested I post this video, which documents how they achieved this, including many of their struggles since then. Putting KONY into a larger context is one way to look at it.

[youtube="4DCaAEHixko"]Freedom Now[/youtube]
    [youtube="dsfvBG93b5U"]Freedom Now[/youtube]
    [youtube="dC0ZU88VuFE"]Freedom Now[/youtube]
    [youtube="6rhOk4HEqOU"]Freedom Now[/youtube]

MBTI
    ISTx

I just don't like how Invisible Children wants to gloss the incident over. That approach NEVER goes well.

UPDATE 4:57 p.m. ET: Invisible Children has released a statement on Russell's arrest. Here's what CEO Ben Keesey had to say:

"Jason Russell was unfortunately hospitalized yesterday suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition. He is now receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. The past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday. Jason’s passion and his work have done so much to help so many, and we are devastated to see him dealing with this personal health issue. We will always love and support Jason, and we ask that you give his entire family privacy during this difficult time."

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post

This really gets at my concern with foreign aid, both governmental and NGO. I believe their is a direct correlation between proximity and moral responsibility. In the west we live in a society that is certainly rich, but there is still plenty of pain, suffering, and injustice going on. If we are willing to open our eyes to those problems closest to us I think we will find we are also the best equipped to deal with them in the ways we can based on our common culture and community. By the same notion I believe that Africans already possess the most important assets to overcome injustice within their own communities. Any outside efforts should be focused on strengthening and building the communal fabric that is already there because if Africa is going to have its problems solved they're ultimately going to have to do it themselves. Of course it doesn't help that much of the global assistance if not based on national interest is based on individual guilt or desire to be apart of something good without any real self sacrifice. I often think westerners (especially freaking bleeding heart celebrities) ignore the suffering closest to them and focus on "big" problems far away from them that make them feel good without actually requiring them to get relationally involved.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

i honestly don't know why more people don't watch the news i swear it is all as equally this bizzar as this series of situations. fucking hollywood
    1+1=3 OMFG