User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

"And because Bobby, Laren and I are friends and had been doing this for 5 years, we thought it would be funny to bring back to our friends and family a joke photo. You know, “Haha - they have bazookas in their hands but they’re actually fighting for peace.” The ironic thing about this photo is that I HATE guns. I always have."

All my friends back in the USA will wet themselves when they see this. It's like, so ironic.

Hmmm. I'd like to know what's really going on - I think they look a bit scared, though I could be wrong.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-PnDZmngAh...0/IMG_2941.JPG

This is quite a good feed to read:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/r...at-s-the-story

Obviously horrific, but I think that arresting one man is not going to change anything. There are at least 120 smaller groups that have split off from Kony's.

Donate to other charities instead. Really. This looks a decent enough list.
    http://www.charitywatch.org/hottopic...ca_crises.html

@Not_Me: Have a look at this:
    CharityNavigator.:
    Compensation of Leaders | % of Compensation relative to amount of money made by IC | Title
    $88,241 | 0.99% | Ben Keesey - CEO
    $89,669 | 1.00% | Jason Russell - Co-Founder/Filmmaker
    $84,377 | 0.94% | Laren Poole - Co-Founder/Filmmaker
    Revenue
    Total Contributions: $10,334,060
    Program Service Revenue: $3,423,351
    Total Primary Revenue: $13,757,411
    Other Revenue $7,769
    TOTAL REVENUE: $13,765,180
    Expenses
    Program Expenses: $7,163,384
    Administrative Expenses: $1,444,570
    Fundraising Expenses: $286,678
    TOTAL FUNCTIONAL EXPENSES: $8,894,632
    Payments to Affiliates $0
    Excess (Or deficit) for the year: $4,870,548
    Net Assets $6,584,811

Oh god, what would we do in a world without you NFs.

Pretty sure the guy who makes the video is an NF with nothing better to do than save the world.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    Oh god, what would we do in a world without you NFs.

Pretty sure the guy who makes the video is an NF with nothing better to do than save the world.

Hey hey now, not all us NF's are that Self-Righteous/Holier-than-thou/Save-the world folk

My blog entry on the matter:

Kony Phony
    I'll be frank and straight to the point, Kony 2012 is probably one of the dumbest things that I have seen this year so far. The simplicity of people to demonize one easy source as the root of evil, and subsequently attack it thinking that the result will be justice, is a tactic so childish I thought only fourth graders would even believe in it. And tons of people seem to be buying into this crap self-righteous philosophy that it actually makes me worry for the well being of humanity (well, a lot of things make me worry about the well being of humanity, but I digress, let's focus on one problem at a time).

Now where to begin? Well lets address the first major issue; the idea that by taking out a dictator whom has committed acts of evil then prosperity will rain down upon the meek and downtrodden. This mentality has a sort or romantic quality to it; a poetic justice that we can all love. And such a mentality makes for really good inspirational films, not foreign war policies and military operations. Now some may not be aware, but apparently from what I've read on multiple message boards, Kony hasn't been active since 2006 or something. Yeah, apparently he isn't even doing anything significant at the moment. So the urgency for justice is itself justified because? Hell why not wait another three months? Really it probably wouldn't make a damn difference.

This also makes me wonder; what the hell is so special about Kony? He enslaves children into child soldiers? That's it? I mean hell, Sparta had an entire army built around training children into warriors, and several decades ago we used to draft citizens who were barely eighteen into full scale bloody wars. Yes, training child soldiers is a really immoral thing to do, but it's not sex slavery or systematic genocide. But what this makes me wonder is why not go after other bad dictators? I'm pretty sure there's lots of other baddies out there who actively oppress people's rights, fuck children, and kick little puppies; why not go after them? Or is it because they don't have the catchy name of Kony? Yeah, I thought so.

Okay, so no one cares about any other dastardly villains other than Kony at the moment, so let's say we do take out this asshole, then what? Will order, peace, and justice just restore itself magically? I mean if the world operated like it did in the movies, all we'd need are some powerful speeches about doing the right thing combined with a rag-tag rebellion and the day would be saved. Sadly reality isn't as awesome. In fact reality sucks. You know what would happen if Kony died? Well actually I can't be too sure myself, but I imagine any of the following may occur; 1. His death creates a power vacuum and another villain takes his place while laughing evilly; 2. A new leader is elected but all the other problems that plague the country still exist; 3. The military and other 'good guys' that we support in assassination of Kony will continue to murder and rape others; and the list could go on but I think you get the point.

Overall, the whole Kony video and media response is nothing but pure nonsense. It's just a cheap media tactic that plays onto people's emotions and uses it to conform their thoughts concerning this social issue. Now I'll admit, I haven't actually watched the video, and no I don't plan on doing so, I'd rather waste my time doing something more productive. But from what I've heard (from the cynical anyway), the video is just melodramatic sappy tear-jerking crap. However I'm not really at all surprised that that would be enough to persuade thousands (or millions?) to take up a voice of opposition to Kony and start a giant propaganda movement. Remember what I said about how movies and reality can't compare oh whatever. So now every celebrity and Joe Shmoe wants to start placing up posters or something overnight while begging our politicians to go to war. Populism people. It works wonders.

And this of course worries me as well; the government being persuaded by the masses to take actions that could have severe consequences. Hopefully the government is smarter than that. However that gets me wondering; did the government set up this whole media hype as an excuse? Maybe the government wanted to engage in this military operation in order to fulfill its own agenda, and the whole Kony 2012 is just a fabrication to manipulate the people into supporting it?

So as a final conclusion, things in real life are complicated; people, politics, government, war, all of it is more complex then what people take for granted. And if you support Kony 2012, well then you're either a complete idiot who buys into propaganda crap because of a gullible attitude and intense desire for justice, or you want evil to pay but ignore the many great details involved in such matters. Either way, nothing good will come of Kony 2012.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I can't say that I'm really surprised that we haven't done much yet, but I think it becomes hard to justify the "get rid of the evil dictator" excuse for use of military force whenever it is only used in circumstances where our economic and defense interests are involved.
    This.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Do I have to feel bad when I find the way this is organized more interesting than its goal? I already spread the word, of course.
    Of course not. The potential (and actual) impact of networking/ social media via internet is quite remarkable and a rather new phenomenon. Pleas for charity...not so much.

Oh, and the entire idea and foundation are both incredibly sketchy.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's pretty cool marketing, borderline offensive, as it should be. They could have been serious. They could have done the right thing. They could have made some documentary showing the actual treatment of children, how the children become sometimes worse than the adults, how politics and international involvement armed and developed a nascent conflict that would have appeared anyway. They could spend their money on actual direct charity work. And then *you* have nothing left to do.

Instead, they put out a wildly simplistic video, avoided political realities, very nearly didn't show any atrocities at all, and if you invested your 27 minutes in watching the video and nothing new happens, then this whole thing becomes a Starship Troopers hoax of some kind, complete with nearly-Aryan, self-important leading man. But *you* know that'd be wrong, and you have eleven months left to find out why. It's a teaser for a marketing campaign that puts *you* in the driving seat just by virtue of making the issue really, really simple and by making it clear that NO ONE IS HANDLING THIS RIGHT, not even them. You're hooked, and it's simple to find out more.

It can so easily become a stunt, and who do you blame if it does? With this campaign they make something important be at stake, and it's not the abuse of children, it's *you*. Super cool, huh? Actual marketing. Not trying to sell you a reason to care about something you don't care about, but sticking it straight to what you already do care about, yourself (and your sense that you are a right thinking human).

That guy is, like, textbook ETP promoter. What's phase 2 of the program to keep momentum going? They have to keep people stirring themselves up for a whole year, but how? Emphasizing contact with the change agents, probably, the cultural and political leaders they targeted, and how *you* made it happen. What else?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    It's pretty cool marketing, borderline offensive, as it should be. They could have been serious. They could have done the right thing. They could have made some documentary showing the actual treatment of children, how the children become sometimes worse than the adults, how politics and international involvement armed and developed a nascent conflict that would have appeared anyway. They could spend their money on actual direct charity work. And then *you* have nothing left to do.

Instead, they put out a wildly simplistic video, avoided political realities, very nearly didn't show any atrocities at all, and if you invested your 27 minutes in watching the video and nothing new happens, then this whole thing becomes a Starship Troopers hoax of some kind, complete with nearly-Aryan, self-important leading man. But *you* know that'd be wrong, and you have eleven months left to find out why. It's a teaser for a marketing campaign that puts *you* in the driving seat just by virtue of making the issue really, really simple and by making it clear that NO ONE IS HANDLING THIS RIGHT, not even them. You're hooked, and it's simple to find out more.

It can so easily become a stunt, and who do you blame if it does? With this campaign they make something important be at stake, and it's not the abuse of children, it's *you*. Super cool, huh? Actual marketing. Not trying to sell you a reason to care about something you don't care about, but sticking it straight to what you already do care about, yourself (and your sense that you are a right thinking human).

That guy is, like, textbook ETP promoter. What's phase 2 of the program to keep momentum going? They have to keep people stirring themselves up for a whole year, but how? Emphasizing contact with the change agents, probably, the cultural and political leaders they targeted, and how *you* made it happen. What else?
    CASE CLOSED i think we are done here folks
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Also, I'm worried all this "Kony 2012" stuff is going to confuse the politically unaware into thinking Kony is the hot new Presidential candidate.
    This is the only thing I see gone wrong in the marketing.

What were they thinking? Really? It must have been either intentional for a reason yet to be discovered, or a major oversight.

(Shudders at the thought of how many people will write in "Kony" on the 2012 ballot)

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Laudable actions. Carry on.