User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 89

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Please watch at least the first couple of minutes of KONY 2012, a documentary about a timely human rights movement to save African kids under Kony's regime. Of perhaps even greater import, these documentary creators are taking this opportunity to establish precedence about the power of the people in a social media age in an American election year. That's called fantastic kairos, people. Let's keep the inertia rolling.

    It's intelligently and passionately crafted.

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc"]KONY 2012[/YOUTUBE]
    I enjoyed it, but like YWIR and Jock mentioned, I was annoyed by the lack of detailed information. Most of the tangible information I found was from my own digging after the fact. I would've liked it to be more succinct and detailed in information.

    I know there's a lot of bad guys in the world, but I'm glad people are picking one and starting somewhere.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  2. #12
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Thankfully someone has done a thoughtful write-up of all the problems with invisible children/kony 2012.

    http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

    Extract from conclusion:
    Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

    Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping.
    Edit: I just want to make clear that no matter how bad a guy is military action from a nation on the other side of the world is not the answer. And, in fact has already caused more harm than good in previous attempts to kill kony.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  3. #13
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I enjoyed it, but like YWIR and Jock mentioned, I was annoyed by the lack of detailed information. Most of the tangible information I found was from my own digging after the fact. I would've liked it to be more succinct and detailed in information.

    I know there's a lot of bad guys in the world, but I'm glad people are picking one and starting somewhere.

    That was this authors problem:


    http://www.wrongingrights.com/2009/0...dea-ever.html/


    First, organizations like Invisible Children not only take up resources that could be used to fund more intelligent advocacy, they take up rhetorical space that could be used to develop more intelligent advocacy. And yeah, this may seem like an absurdly academic point to raise when talking about a problem that is clearly crying out for pragmatic solutions, but, uh, the way we define problems is important. Really, really important. Choosing to simplistically define Congolese women as “The Raped” and Ugandan children as “The Abducted” constrains our ability to think creatively about the problems they face, and work with them to combat these problems.

    Second, treating their problems as one-dimensional issues that can be solved by a handful of plucky college students armed only with the strength of their convictions and a video camera doesn’t help anyone. These gets back to something very simple and very smart that Alanna Shaikh wrote a few months ago:

    “Bad development work is based on the idea that poor people have nothing. Something is better than nothing, right? So anything you give these poor people will be better than what they had before.”
    Btw,

    Srsly?

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-PnDZmngAh...h/IMG_2941.JPG
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  4. #14
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Hahaha.

    Look, Gavin, daddy is shooting the bad guys' heads off.

  5. #15
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Not at all, I found myself wanting to fast-forward, because I could not stand the puppy dog tone he kept using. He's also a tad valley-girl-ish, in the way he speaks, which didn't help with the tone. It just didn't jive with the video; sounded amateur.
    Really?... This is a documentary for a good cause. Are you really judging the tone of this guy's voice and slamming this 20 minute short on the issue because it's too long and doesn't fit within the parameters of your gold fish attention span? Not to mention, this guy's job is to aid these people. That's what he devotes his time and energy towards, which is commendable. For shame, Dee.

  6. #16
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Really?... This is a documentary for a good cause. Are you really judging the tone of this guy's voice and slamming this 20 minute short on the issue because it's too long and doesn't fit within the parameters of your gold fish attention span? Not to mention, this guy's job is to aid these people. That's what he devotes his time and energy towards, which is commendable. For shame, Dee.
    It doesn't matter what he has to offer, the goal is still the same: to get as many people to watch it as possible.
    If he wants people to watch what he has to offer, make it shorter. No one knows whats in there until they press "play". 29+ minutes for a video is not a good way to encourage people to watch, and spread awareness. What's worse is that he doesn't even get to the point until 10+ minutes into the video, all the other times, he's talking about himself.
    I already watched the video yesterday(as I have already stated), suggesting I have goldfish attention span doesn't strengthen your argument.

    Before you start complaining about the purpose of my post and the "shameful" criticism I made, here are some statistics for you.
    He's aiming for the masses. Not everyone is going to give up 30 minutes of their time to watch a video that doesn't have much to offer until the middle/end.

    NYT: Short Attention Spans for Web Videos
    How Much of a Typical Video Online Is Actually Watched?
    For Video: Make It Short, Make It Punchy and Get to the Point

  7. #17
    Senior Member Tiger Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Please watch at least the first couple of minutes of KONY 2012, a documentary about a timely human rights movement to save African kids under Kony's regime. Of perhaps even greater import, these documentary creators are taking this opportunity to establish precedence about the power of the people in a social media age in an American election year. That's called fantastic kairos, people. Let's keep the inertia rolling.

    It's intelligently and passionately crafted.

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc"]KONY 2012[/YOUTUBE]
    My wife just told me about this 5 minutes ago. I will be watching it shortly, thank you for posting.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

  8. #18
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    It doesn't matter what he has to offer, the goal is still the same: to get as many people to watch it as possible.
    If he wants people to watch what he has to offer, make it shorter. No one knows whats in there until they press "play". 29+ minutes for a video is not a good way to encourage people to watch, and spread awareness. What's worse is that he doesn't even get to the point until 10+ minutes into the video, all the other times, he's talking about himself.
    I already watched the video yesterday(as I have already stated), suggesting I have goldfish attention span doesn't strengthen your argument.

    Before you start complaining about the purpose of my post and the "shameful" criticism I made, here are some statistics for you.
    He's aiming for the masses. Not everyone is going to give up 30 minutes of their time to watch a video that doesn't have much to offer until the middle/end.
    [/URL]
    That's fine, but there's only so much one can get across with a "short and punchy" video. I watched this thinking of it more as a documentary, rather than a blurb. I thought everything that the video showed was fitting, and made the story more relevant to people that are otherwise withdrawn and removed from these issues happening in a continent that doesn't get much attention from your typical American or anyone else living in a cushy environment. I have a short attention span myself, but the point is that this mini-documentary is to be judged on its message and the issues that it brings to light, not the production value. I'm seeing it circulating pretty rapidly just within my facebook friends/acquaintances. I assume it's doing the same outside of my immediate circle. If people are watching it and posting it, others will too. Not to mention the video, but the time we've spent discussing it, think of all the chatter we could have created on vent and all the new threads and posts we could have made! Time is precious.

  9. #19
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    P.S. Lub you @YWIR

  10. #20
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    I had a friend who was in Uganda with an aid organization last year. After six months his view on foreign aid and assistance was simple:

    Helping hurts.

    Seriously, we need to stop with the savior complex and focus on changing our own behavior that negatively affects other countries and destabilizes them. Ending farm subsidies would be a great start.

    Killing one man might bring about justice. But, it won't help anyone in Uganda especially since he hasn't been active since 2006.

    Beyond the ins and outs of dealing with Kony, the political challenges in the region are simply too massive for Obama's new operation to yield much fruit. The violence in Uganda, Congo, and South Sudan has been the most devastating -- anywhere in the world -- since the mid-1990s. Even conservative estimates place the death toll in the millions. And the LRA is, in fact, a relatively small player in all of this -- as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence. If Kony is removed, LRA fighters will join other groups or act independently.
    http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...-lra?page=show
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. How much do you know about independence struggle era America?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-01-2017, 07:19 PM
  2. [Jung] stuff that you do not know about draon9
    By draon9 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2016, 12:08 PM
  3. do you know what i'm talking about?
    By prplchknz in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM
  4. DONT MAKE ASSUMPTION ABOUT THINGS YOU DO NOT KNOW
    By The_Sloth in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
  5. El Paso, Texas: Do you know anything about this city?
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO