User Tag List

Post No Wonder The Kids Today Are So Anxious

No Wonder The Kids Today Are So Anxious
    By Daniel Coffeen
    17 February 2012
    thoughtcatalog.com

Excerpt:
    Picture this. You’re sitting around your living room with some friends and someone comes in, an acquaintance perhaps, and starts filming you. You’re not sure why. Do you do exactly as you were doing before the camera entered the room? Or has your behavior changed — what you say, do, how you interact with others in the room?

Cameras necessarily shift social dynamics. How can they not? They are eyes, after all. Only they’re the weirdest eyes ever in that they are the potential eyes of everyone, everywhere, from now until eternity. That’s gotta have an effect, don’t you think?

Now take the digital camera which is at once camera, processing, screen, and distribution: the time from click to world wide viewing is nearly instantaneous. Well, that’s gotta have some strange effects.

The social web is a kind of always on camera, ceaselessly capturing text and image — capturing imprints of ourselves — our likes and dislikes, the pages we view and how long we linger, the Yelps, the tweets, the reposts and shares and retweets and so on and so on.

Suddenly, we are all actors, all writers, curators, critics, and photographers who relentlessly publish and distribute. We are all actors on the screen that is the web.

Think about it: We update our FB status with an insight, link, image, or report on the song we listened to or game we played. We comment on others’ insights, links, and images. We Yelp and comment on others’ Yelps; we tweet and retweet. We write emails and texts, mini-essays and haikus. We imprint ourselves on the collective social film which is a distributed, networked cinematic event.

And then we await judgement from an unclear, and at times unknown, audience: applause, boos, or indifference that take the form of page views, likes and dislikes, comments, shares, reposts, retweets, deletes. Google Analytics is an applause meter. I got 193 uniques today! 17 people liked the photo of my Halloween nurse slut costume!

This happens all day, everyday: we publish, we perform, we are seen and we are judged by an audience with unknown extension — and anything we do could suddenly “go viral” and be seen by millions. This is not just life in a panopticon as we are not only always being watched. We are always being commanded to perform — and then are judged for that performance.

No wonder the kids today are so anxiously and constantly checking their phones: Did they like that post? Did I do good? No wonder that the 25 year old girls who swarm our cities on Saturday nights are dressed like prostitutes: Gotta impress — and fast!

Indeed, there seems to be a very strange desire amongst the 20-somethings of today. They fancy themselves individuals — Look at me! This is my taste! — while at the same time they fear individuality: Do they like me? It’s a crippling anxiety that leaves these 20-somethings stuck between safe sweetness (don’t want to offend anyone) and merciless judgment (everything’s a threat and a thin veil of anonymity affords casual nastiness).

see also: < Generation Sell >
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    No Wonder The Kids Today Are So Anxious
    By Daniel Coffeen
    17 February 2012
    thoughtcatalog.com

Excerpt:
    Picture this. You’re sitting around your living room with some friends and someone comes in, an acquaintance perhaps, and starts filming you. You’re not sure why. Do you do exactly as you were doing before the camera entered the room? Or has your behavior changed — what you say, do, how you interact with others in the room?

Cameras necessarily shift social dynamics. How can they not? They are eyes, after all. Only they’re the weirdest eyes ever in that they are the potential eyes of everyone, everywhere, from now until eternity. That’s gotta have an effect, don’t you think?

Now take the digital camera which is at once camera, processing, screen, and distribution: the time from click to world wide viewing is nearly instantaneous. Well, that’s gotta have some strange effects.

The social web is a kind of always on camera, ceaselessly capturing text and image — capturing imprints of ourselves — our likes and dislikes, the pages we view and how long we linger, the Yelps, the tweets, the reposts and shares and retweets and so on and so on.

Suddenly, we are all actors, all writers, curators, critics, and photographers who relentlessly publish and distribute. We are all actors on the screen that is the web.

Think about it: We update our FB status with an insight, link, image, or report on the song we listened to or game we played. We comment on others’ insights, links, and images. We Yelp and comment on others’ Yelps; we tweet and retweet. We write emails and texts, mini-essays and haikus. We imprint ourselves on the collective social film which is a distributed, networked cinematic event.

And then we await judgement from an unclear, and at times unknown, audience: applause, boos, or indifference that take the form of page views, likes and dislikes, comments, shares, reposts, retweets, deletes. Google Analytics is an applause meter. I got 193 uniques today! 17 people liked the photo of my Halloween nurse slut costume!

This happens all day, everyday: we publish, we perform, we are seen and we are judged by an audience with unknown extension — and anything we do could suddenly “go viral” and be seen by millions. This is not just life in a panopticon as we are not only always being watched. We are always being commanded to perform — and then are judged for that performance.

No wonder the kids today are so anxiously and constantly checking their phones: Did they like that post? Did I do good? No wonder that the 25 year old girls who swarm our cities on Saturday nights are dressed like prostitutes: Gotta impress — and fast!

Indeed, there seems to be a very strange desire amongst the 20-somethings of today. They fancy themselves individuals — Look at me! This is my taste! — while at the same time they fear individuality: Do they like me? It’s a crippling anxiety that leaves these 20-somethings stuck between safe sweetness (don’t want to offend anyone) and merciless judgment (everything’s a threat and a thin veil of anonymity affords casual nastiness).

see also: < Generation Sell >
    report on lifelogging -mostly on the privacy issue and such (PDF):
    http://www.enisa.europa.eu/act/rm/em...oad/fullReport

another one discussing its benefits or not:
    http://people.ucsc.edu/~swhittak/pap...ging_final.pdf

didnt have time to check them out in detail though. going out in a few mins but i think its interesting (and relevant) that we are considering ''fully'' recording ppl's lives for their own good and happiness. Though this particular stream is supposed to be for yourself first then shared with relevant parties (say health services to monitor if something wrong's going on etc). But who knows. if the technology to lifelog becomes mainstream and part of our everyday electronics then maybe a thing similar to facebook will emerge making particular bits of one's life available to all. Turning everything into a sort of social competition with no place to hide from our peers.

As the Chinese curse would say: may you live in interesting times
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Damn social people. Hated them already before the digital age and after
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Totally makes sense. Judgment among friends is especially true when the parents do not give the children the right amount attention to begin with.
    Innovation is the epicenter between Imagination and Logic.
    -Stephen M Cordova

You and your friend can draw together > http://draw.newphidias.com/ <

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    -Thomas Jefferson, 1796

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

An interesting thesis, there might be something up to it. However I believe there are many other factors in our society contributing to anxiousness or low self confidence in young people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

Nice read. It's not really related but that reminds me of the girl who posted naked pictures on Facebook and then commited suicide after they were made public. The Internet can be a dangerous place for those feeling-heavy types.
    I'm a 20-something and I feel the same as what's described, including on forums such as this one, minus the "merciless judgement" - either anonymity isn't enough to make me do that or I truly don't judge in the first place.
    However the mechanic isn't new. The "want individuality VS need for approval / fear of rejection" duality has always been there; what's changed is the magnitude - a few people isn't the same as dozens, hundreds or thousands.

We can add to this that many kids are now raised without a father (or, more rarely, without a mother), and the general confusion caused by social tendencies that are radically opposed to how things worked before - such as feminism, absence of racial segregation, etc.