User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: History nerds

heart on fire

Default History nerds

Perhaps you should watch more History Channel for fun?
    I have "issues" with the History channel. Anyone who wants real history needs to read real history books. (and of course they are much more fun than anything on TV!)

History channel is too "pop" culture. There is a difference between History and journalism. *sigh*

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have "issues" with the History channel. Anyone who wants real history needs to read real history books. (and of course they are much more fun than anything on TV!)

History channel is too "pop" culture. There is a difference between History and journalism. *sigh*
    Do you get "Time Team" at all? That's the real deal, I think.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Do you get "Time Team" at all? That's the real deal, I think.
    I haven't seen this on in the US.

I am sorry to have vented my great bitterness and disappointment in the History Channel here.

First off, it should rightly be called the "Military History Channel" because that is what they mostly focus on. They also market to the most sensationalistic tastes. It was exciting to see something called the History Channel come on cabal cable and then disappointing to actually see the direction it went. The last straw was when they started playing "In Search Of" reruns!

I also get sick of having people ask my interests and when I say History they cry with delight and say "Oh I watch the History Channel too! I bet you just love it!"

Er, no I actually don't. :steam:

I could get excited about a true social or philosophy History channel though. Those are the more interesting aspects of history as far as I am concerned.

MBTI
    INXP

I haven't seen this on in the US.

I could get excited about a true social or philosophy History channel though. Those are the more interesting aspects of history as far as I am concerned.
    Shame you haven't.... maybe it hasn't aired there. Hmm.

Time Team follows archaeological digs. Sounds dull, I know.. but it isn't. They spend 3 days in a site.. do geophysics, speak to local experts, do proper archaeology. So they'll investigate the rumour of an iron age hill fort, for example.... or the site of a medieval manor.

The tone is kept friendly and light, so it isn't too heavy, but it's kept me amused over the years. It's introduced by Tony Robinson.. he of Blackadder fame (Baldrick). He's not dumb or funny in this though.... this is a real life passion.

It's not with a military focus.. it's more about people. So they are looking to recreate the places people lived, and how they did so. Often they will get some expert in a field to have a try at eg making a bronze age sword using ancient techniques. Usually they get artists to recreate views, as well. The whole thing comes together really well.

There's quite a good sample here : Time Team | Archaeology | Channel 4 | Tony Robinson

Try eg the 4 minute piece on city of the dead.

Time Team | Archaeology | Channel 4 | Tony Robinson

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I used to love Time Team when it aired in the USA... and, for what I can tell, its coming back.

Current.org | "Time Team, USA" coming in 2009 or 2010

heart on fire

I am on dial up, I can't do videos.

This is a great site.

MBTI
    INTP

Archeaology AND Baldrick!? I am THERE.

Yeah, you've outnerded me on the history stuff, heart. I like history, but I kind of have to have my history made palatable by the sprucing up of it and adding the real human element. I'm probably more of a dabbler in history than a true history buff. Plus, I'm a pop culture junkie, so I guess the History Channel's shenanigans don't bother me.

Really, they should rename it the Hitler Channel, because that's what seems to be on 90% of the time. Not that I'm complaining, apparently. I got suckered into watching a six-part series on Hitler's Women.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

Yeah, you've outnerded me on the history stuff, heart. I like history, but I kind of have to have my history made palatable by the sprucing up of it and adding the real human element. I'm probably more of a dabbler in history than a true history buff. Plus, I'm a pop culture junkie, so I guess the History Channel's shenanigans don't bother me.

Really, they should rename it the Hitler Channel, because that's what seems to be on 90% of the time. Not that I'm complaining, apparently. I got suckered into watching a six-part series on Hitler's Women.
    I'm in the heart-nerd-club here, too. I don't care for the History Channel or most tv documentaries about history. I'd rather read, mostly.

Funny how Time-Team doesn't fit into this category, for me. In some ways it's a bit like a real life news report... reality tv.. and you get to know the scientists, so it's more like a "oh, I wonder where they are this week?" than a "packaged up stylised 60 minute special".

Of course, it helps that sometimes the areas examined are known to me, or close by.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

I really am sorry that I could not hold my tongue on the issue. It is a sore point with me. I really do wish they had more social history and less "kick-ass, most extreme!" flavor on there.

I did read Hitler's Niece.

MBTI
    INTP

I really am sorry that I could not hold my tongue on the issue. It is a sore point with me. I really do wish they had more social history and less "kick-ass, most extreme!" flavor on there.

I did read Hitler's Niece.
    Hey, don't hold your tongue here! This just adds to your sparkling nerd rep!

Ooh, there's a book about Hitler's niece? I would totally read that.