User Tag List

First 234

Thread: History nerds

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I randomly turned it on this afternoon, just to test this out. The current programme was

"The Brits who fought for Hitler".

Seems they have OC(Nazi)D.
    Firstly, I can't stand the NAZI's.

But at the same time, you need to be very aware that the US has plenty of NAZI bashing all the time to counter act all the negative things Israel is doing in Palestine.

Seriously, they try to swamp negativity towards "Jews" by rehashing all the persecution stuff.

I first became aware of it when my father pointed it out on CNN. Basically, they had a news report on Israel bulldozing a whole load of land that Palestinian people were on, and then they cut straight away to Jewish persecution in the War which there was absolutely no reason to show.

I have real problems about so called truth and freedom in the US. Its more a function of what truth and freedom is told by who owns what media channel.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have "issues" with the History channel. Anyone who wants real history needs to read real history books. (and of course they are much more fun than anything on TV!)

History channel is too "pop" culture. There is a difference between History and journalism. *sigh*
    I agree. My brother bought The Last Samurai 2-Disc Edition for my birthday a few years ago, and I watched an American History Channel documentary they put on the special features. It made me realise that American history documentary makers don't really know how to make documentaries in comparison with the British. We have UKTV History, which used to be shitter in content than the History Channel, but I think it's got better now. The British History Channel I think uses British voiceovers, but I'm not quite sure. The problem with the American history documentaries is that they had dramatic music and voiceovers like they were trying to sell something, instead of informing us like they're supposed to.

MBTI
    ENTP

heart, I agree entirely.

In my social circle, we call those channels the "Hitler, Mummies and Ghosts" channels

Sometimes I watch them and laugh at how overplayed and over dramatized it all is, how they exaggerate the points that are most 'juicy' and stuff. But other times I can't bear to watch them because I get so angry at how the public is being wilfully misinformed, thinking it's all 'scholarly' information.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh, heart, come on History IS war history, to great extent
    I love cultural history, religious history, philosophical, scientific and all other forms of history, but I have to dissappoint you now. I LOVE WAR HISTORY Especially naval warfare history.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

But I agree on one point, history channel is pretty bad. More hearsay/journalism than actual research it seems. They seem to have the same penchant as journalists for getting things WRONG deliberately in order to twist the facts in many cases.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    istp

Right now there's some documentary about Evel Knievel... is it history? Not really. Is it interesting? Yeah.

I only watch TV when I'm relaxing, so ideally I just want to watch people duel for my pleasure.
    No offense.