User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: History nerds

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have "issues" with the History channel.
    They should just call it the Nazi channel. I want to see more things before 1900.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    They should just call it the Nazi channel. I want to see more things before 1900.
    Don't forget about Mega Disasters! If that's not good science, I don't know what is...
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

This thread made me nostalgic, it reminded me of when I used to watch Maid Marian and her Merry Men, when I was about 5 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have "issues" with the History channel. Anyone who wants real history needs to read real history books. (and of course they are much more fun than anything on TV!)

History channel is too "pop" culture. There is a difference between History and journalism. *sigh*
    When I studied in America we watched a history channel documentry on the Boxer rebellion in China, You'd have thought the American's went in alone, and saved the day!!! No real mention of the French, German, British and other forces involved, and yes the non mentioned contingents were bigger than america's...

sigh

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm an utter History nerd too...

I'm currently an Undergrad in the UK about to go into my final year and can't wait to blame one of the worst atrosities the BRitish EMpire ever commited on the Foregin office instead of the colonial office!!! hehehe...

I've just finished trying to save Richard III's reputation too... I mean the tudors did a good job, but I honestly think that he was a good man out manouvered but the troublesome Duke of Buckingham... hehe, not out manourvered enough of course...

The fascinating thign abotu studying medieval history properly, even if it is political rather than social (sorry all the social history fanatics on here), is the realisation that they were so much more politically sophisicated than we think, we set criteria that a king needed to achieve most of, and how put out they felt when their needs or desires failed to have representation in the council and parliament...

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    I randomly turned it on this afternoon, just to test this out. The current programme was

"The Brits who fought for Hitler".

Seems they have OC(Nazi)D.

MBTI
    JIxT

The History Channel is not very good for information, but it does have authentic videos that would be hard to normally find.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

You know what's better than reading history about Hitler? Reading the news articles that were written during the time he came to power and WWII.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    The History Channel is not very good for information, but it does have authentic videos that would be hard to normally find.
    that is a fair point, though there is loads of archival film available at the archives here or the bbc library and access is fairly easy... and free...