User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: History nerds

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Hey, don't hold your tongue here! This just adds to your sparkling nerd rep!

Ooh, there's a book about Hitler's niece? I would totally read that.
    Yes, I picked it up a few years ago.

Book Review.

A movie based on the same thing:

Hitler: The Rise of Evil

My comments about the History Channel are not meant to be directed at anyone who watches it, I just have issues with it as a entity. It is hell to have Fi and Te in the same brain. Te wants to sound off about things and be critical, Fi feels bad later, lol.

Edit: What's up with Historical figures and their nieces? Voltaire loved his niece too.

MBTI
    INXP

These comments all moved to a fresh nerdy thread. Derails r us!

heart on fire

Pure genius, Geoff!

MBTI
    INXP

Now that we have a nerdy history thread.

I'm currently reading :

A brief history of the human race, Michael Cook. Quite a good read, macro in style, and builds on some of the work done in Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

So, both are recommended (at the macro level).

MBTI
    istp

The History Channel is great. Military history and all that extreme kickass stuff is why I watch it. I was so annoyed when they cancelled Decisive Battles. I'm not a nerd though. Why am I even here...

Quote Originally Posted by heart
    Anyone who wants real history needs to read real history books.
    Definitely.
    No offense.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Now that we have a nerdy history thread.

I'm currently reading :

A brief history of the human race, Michael Cook. Quite a good read, macro in style, and builds on some of the work done in Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

So, both are recommended (at the macro level).
    I am still in the siege, my latest books in history:

The Siege of Boston by Allen French

After the Siege: A Social History of Boston, 1775-1800 By Jacqueline Barbara Carr

Peter Edes Pioneer Printer in Maine. A Biography. His Diary while a Prisoner by the British at Boston in 1775 with the Journal of John Leach who was a prisoner at the same time.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Military history isn't real history? I can't say it's my favorite branch of history, but it's history. What I don't like is when they talk about the present. Not that the current latest technology paving the way for travel to Mars isn't interesting (a super-advanced spinning machine)... but then again, the specific program premise is The Universe.

I watch PBS more for history programs, though, I must admit.

(I think Discovery Channel sometimes has the same problems sometimes. There was a time where it was like all motorcycle building shows.)

I guess the problem's not that it's off-topic, it's that the focus is too narrow.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Military history isn't real history? I can't say it's my favorite branch of history, but it's history.
    I didn't say it wasn't, but in my opinion the Hitler History Channel tends to present it in a more journalistic fashion and also tends to cater to a more sensationalistic presentation, does not present a full picture all the time. That is what I meant when I said to get real Historical perspective, it would be better to seek history books moreso than the History Channel. It is just an opinion. Not meant to insult anyone.

What I don't like is when they talk about the present. Not that the current latest technology paving the way for travel to Mars isn't interesting (a super-advanced spinning machine)... but then again, the specific program premise is The Universe.
    The prevailing view is that it takes ten years to gain proper historical perspective on an issue.

I guess the problem's not that it's off-topic, it's that the focus is too narrow.
    It is also the focus on that which is sensational. In my opinion can create a warped version of reality. It is hard enough to maintain a leaning towards being objective in history, it will never be totally objective but having a filter certainly doesn't help.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have "issues" with the History channel. Anyone who wants real history needs to read real history books. (and of course they are much more fun than anything on TV!)

History channel is too "pop" culture. There is a difference between History and journalism. *sigh*
    I was trying to explain this to my nine year old the other day. He loves history channel and he is buying the UFO stuff hook, line, and sinker. I tried to tell him it's sensationalized and they dig up the wackiest scholars, etc they can find, but I don't think I convinced him. I hope he will be open to more accurate information once he's reading more fluently.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I'm definitely a history nerd, and I watch the History Channel (I'm sorry, now it's just "History"). I don't really have a problem with it because I take everything with a grain of salt. Alluding to something Tallulah said, I used to call it the "Hitler, Egypt and UFO Channel".

I actually found two fascinating history facts today from different sources.

1. The term "lobbyist" came about because President Ulysses S. Grant used to hate being cooped up in the White House and often went out at night to enjoy a drink and a cigar in the lobby of a nearby hotel. Petitioners soon discovered Grant's habit and made a point of approaching him in the lobby, thereby avoiding the White House runaround.

2. Abraham Lincoln's assassination was part of a larger plot to kill Vice President Andrew Johnson, Secretary Of State William Seward and Lincoln all on the same night, with the intention of throwing the government into chaos. Johnson's would-be assassin didn't come close, but the man assigned to Seward managed to get into the house and slash Seward with a dagger before being overwhelmed and escaping out the front door. The attempt might have succeded had the attacker's pistol not misfired during a struggle with Seward's son.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari