User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know.

It's unavoidable. One person's immorality is another person's diversity.

It's not much different than acknowledging that for a woman to choose an abortion means the death of a baby to some, and for a baby to have life might mean denial of a family deciding what is best for them.

Honestly? I think people are too damn concerned about how they might be "being oppressed" by others and should instead be working to build bridges with those they're having issues with.

I'm fine with all this... if Christians don't complain about people of religious beliefs they strongly disapprove of having the same privileges and rights as they claim they should have.

But for some reason, I don't think that will fly.

Honestly, if buddhism and hinduism and other beliefs involving what Christians deem to be pagan gods were allowed openly in the school system around "their kids," they'd probably flip out completely and pull their kids into private schools.

We have it all the time. There has been a huge influx of Indian people into my area in the last 10 years. The majority are Hindu, but there are some Sikhs and some Christians amongst them, as well. Of course, this is a much more Catholic area than most of the United States, and the majority of the hardcore Catholics here send their children to Catholic schools, anyway. I haven't heard of any problems with religious expression at the local public schools recently. The U.S. is better with this than many other countries, actually. Look at France. It's a Catholic country, but only 20-30% of the population are regular Mass attendees. And yet, they have tried to ban Muslim girls from wearing their headwraps. It's a matter of mindset, mostly. I actually tend to think that the majority of non-fundamentalist Christians would make sure that students of other religions would be free to express themselves, because they would flip out (and have) if the school tried to suppress Christian students.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Christians persecuted? You cannot run for president without saying your Christian. Can you imagine a presidential candidate saying he was atheist? Christians do not what persecution is, at least not in the US.
    Of course they are and how does this in any way say they're not? Does knowing the exact percentage of child abusers who were abused themselves tell you how many of them never abuse their children?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Of course they are and how does this in any way say they're not? Does knowing the exact percentage of child abusers who were abused themselves tell you how many of them never abuse their children?
    You lost me. Not sure what that has to do with my statement.

20% of the democratic primary in PA (presumably the less racist party) said they didn't vote for Obama because of race. That is prejudice. If someone said, they were NOT Christian, that would be far worse than being black (that is the opposite of prejudice). It's pressure to conform to the group.

Can you name one group who receives LESS persecution than the Christians in this country? I can name dozens who get MORE persecuted however: Mexicans, Blacks, Muslims, Gays, Dwarfs etc..

Saying Christians are persecuted is like saying white males get persecuted in this country, which is to say, totally absurd.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    You lost me. Not sure what that has to do with my statement.

20% of the democratic primary in PA (presumably the less racist party) said they didn't vote for Obama because of race. That is prejudice. If someone said, they were NOT Christian, that would be far worse than being black (that is the opposite of prejudice). It's pressure to conform to the group.

Can you name one group who receives LESS persecution than the Christians in this country? I can name dozens who get MORE persecuted however: Mexicans, Blacks, Muslims, Gays, Dwarfs etc..

Saying Christians are persecuted is like saying white males get persecuted in this country, which is to say, totally absurd.

White men are persecuted in some circles nowadays, like college administrations. Look at the "water buffalo" incident at UPenn in the '90s.

Also, Democrats in the Philadelphia metropolitan area (where I have lived my whole life) are, in my experience, at least as racist if not moreso than Republicans. They tend to be the hardhat union types who work with black people, but tell you what they really think about "them" at the bar or in the privacy of their homes. We don't have as many Republicans around here, and the ones we do have tend to be super-uptight pro-life Catholics or rich doctors/lawyers/businesspeople who have had more education and are hit-or-miss when it comes to racial issues. Pittsburgh is similar. I am sure that it is different in the rural, conservative center of the state.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    White men are persecuted in some circles nowadays, like college administrations. Look at the "water buffalo" incident at UPenn in the '90s.
    Oh, boo hoo! White men hold the most privileged position in American society so forgive me if I'm not inclined to feel sorry for them when they occasionally come up the underdog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Oh, boo hoo! White men hold the most privileged position in American society so forgive me if I'm not inclined to feel sorry for them when they occasionally come up the underdog.
    Way to be tolerant and to care about your fellow man. You either treat people equally or you don't, and it shouldn't happen to anyone in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Injustice is injustice. If a rich guy gets pickpocketed it's still a crime. Besides, I'm still waiting for all the secret handshakes, cushy jobs and cronyism I'm supposed to be reaping as an American white man. Being The Man isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. Things are tough all over.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Injustice is injustice. If a rich guy gets pickpocketed it's still a crime. Besides, I'm still waiting for all the secret handshakes, cushy jobs and cronyism I'm supposed to be reaping as an American white man. Being The Man isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. Things are tough all over.
    They didn't even teach you the secret handshake? You need to hang out with richer white guys, my man. I am like a few years away from lighting farts with Dubya at Bohemian Grove.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Way to be tolerant and to care about your fellow man. You either treat people equally or you don't, and it shouldn't happen to anyone in our society.
    Depends upon your definition of equality. I hear to some people that equality is not forcing the white man to cede some of his privilege. The argument being he has earned it through the centuries of conquest and slavery that he imposed on his fellow man. I find that view to be incredibly intolerant and self serving because it ignores the centuries of injustice and the resulting unequal economic distribution of wealth and social injustices which continue to perpetrate the oppression and discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That shows your ignorance. White woman in America earn on average 80 cents on every dollar a white man makes. That gap increases with different races. It's been proven that Black and Hispanic men who apply for a job are less than half as likely to be hired for it as white men, despite having equal or better credentials. There is a racial demographic disparity in prisons toward African Americans. Just by being a white male, you make more money, are more likely to be hired for a job, and get better deals in the criminal justice system. God bless America! It's sad that you don't even realized the benefits of your privilege.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

You know, I won't sit here and say that the average black man in America has it just as good as the average white man. But I cannot stand by and be demonized for the circumstances of my birth and have my meager accomplishments denigrated because I'm supposed to have come by them easily. The differences you talk about in your post amount to an assertion that a man who has three limbs cut off is better off than a man who has all four cut off. Does he have it better? A little. But the larger point is that they're both crippled.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari