User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 149

  1. #111
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And when you can fake sincerity, you got it made.
    Was it William Langland or Matt Lauer who said, "Glibness is a virtue?"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #112
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    A professor is maybe the last person I would ask about such things.
    You can't attack the reasoning so you are attacking the source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  3. #113
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I actually asked one of my professors this question and she came up with a pretty resounding "yes". Her reasoning is that in order to persecute a group, other groups have to force it into a preconceived mold of how people in that group are supposed to act. Groups of privilege such as whites and Christians are not easily forced into such a mold, therefore they can't truly be considered persecuted.
    As a Christian I absolutely have been "persecuted" under that definition, but only by individuals with small, individualized consequences. It can't really compare to the historic large-scale systemic persecution of minority groups and women, but I've definitely been on the receiving end of prejudice because I belong to a group that is unpopular in some of the circles I skirt.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #114
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    There are two downsides to that kind of thinking.

    1. If you look at the stats, the wage gap between men and women, as well as between whites and other races, has not decreased within the last 30 years.

    2. The creepy libertarians are always attacking every piece of anti-discrimination legislation in Congress, citing that, despite the currently existing social and economic inequalities, minority groups should not be protected from discrimination. A good part of the reason why all those racist groups love to support candidates like Ron Paul.
    1. That's not true. The wage gap was as wide as 59.4 cents for women for every dollar made by men in 1976, and it was up to 76.9 cents for every dollar in 1976. Is that still unfair? Yes. However, it should continue to narrow as more women graduate college and get postgraduate degrees. Women are between 55-60% of undergraduates and law school students in the United States currently.

    2. If you truly believe in freedom of association (you know, like the Constitution says we have), aren't you compelled to oppose any legislation that forces you to hire/fire/work with/subsidize anyone with whom you don't want to associate?

    And your ad hominem use of words like "creepy" and "racist" against a group of people who are some of the most consistent and impassioned fighters for civil liberties in the country is the mark of a childish, ignorant, and biased mind.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #115
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    You can't attack the reasoning so you are attacking the source?
    College faculty and administrators, as I've said several times before, are some of the few groups in society in which prejudiced attitudes against white males actually exists. In fact, it's often rewarded.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #116
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    1. That's not true. The wage gap was as wide as 59.4 cents for women for every dollar made by men in 1976, and it was up to 76.9 cents for every dollar in 1976. Is that still unfair? Yes. However, it should continue to narrow as more women graduate college and get postgraduate degrees. Women are between 55-60% of undergraduates and law school students in the United States currently.
    I hope you are right.

    2. If you truly believe in freedom of association (you know, like the Constitution says we have), aren't you compelled to oppose any legislation that forces you to hire/fire/work with/subsidize anyone with whom you don't want to associate?
    As you know, I believe freedom is largely an illusion. You want to give people the freedom to discriminate once again? Okay, let's allow communities to resegregate their schools (as some are trying to do in Oklahoma) and let's let bus companies make people of different races sit in the back of the bus.

    And your ad hominem use of words like "creepy" and "racist" against a group of people who are some of the most consistent and impassioned fighters for civil liberties in the country is the mark of a childish, ignorant, and biased mind.
    I'm only stating a fact. Racist groups support libertarian causes. Why? Because they fight anti discrimination legislation. Haven't you ever wondered why like over 90% of libertarians are white?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  7. #117
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I'm still close to one of my college professors (she was my thesis advisor, then I was her nanny, then she was my baptismal sponsor-- line-blurring ensued, and now we're friends and our daughters are friends). She was actually kicked out of a community of Blake scholars because she wrote a book about Blake from a religious standpoint that wasn't explicitly critical of Christianity. She studied Mary Shelley for quite a long time with great success, but recently wrote a book about the writings of women missionaries that she hasn't had a lot of luck with. In academic circles, being Christian or writing about Christianity without taking an adversarial stance is a kiss of death.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #118
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm still close to one of my college professors (she was my thesis advisor, then I was her nanny, then she was my baptismal sponsor-- line-blurring ensued, and now we're friends and our daughters are friends). She was actually kicked out of a community of Blake scholars because she wrote a book about Blake from a religious standpoint that wasn't explicitly critical of Christianity. She studied Mary Shelley for quite a long time with great success, but recently wrote a book about the writings of women missionaries that she hasn't had a lot of luck with. In academic circles, being Christian or writing about Christianity without taking an adversarial stance is a kiss of death.
    It depends largely upon where you work. There are conservative colleges and universities that are openly discriminating toward liberal minded professors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  9. #119
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Was it William Langland or Matt Lauer who said, "Glibness is a virtue?"
    You are crucified between authenticity and phoniness while I am crucified between amusement and boredom.

    So let me spell it out.

    For you it is good to be authentic and bad to be phoney, while for me it is good to be amusing and bad to be boring.

    And as long as we fail to recognise we are on two different cultural crosses, we will misunderstand one another.

    What can I say? We want to be good but find we are bad. You want to be authentic but find you are phoney, while I want to be amusing but find I am boring.

    So our egos are heavily invested in trying to be good - but notice that being good is simply a cultural good.

    And perceiving we come from different cultures, they have less of a hold on us - we can start to play with our cultural differences.

    And in this way we can start to become educated where education is transcending one's own culture rather than taking it for granted.

    And how odd, strange and spare is our own culture when we look at it out of the corner of our eye.

  10. #120
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It depends largely upon where you work. There are conservative colleges and universities that are openly discriminating toward liberal minded professors.
    This seems a bit disingenuous to me. Sure, there "are" conservative colleges and universities where this is the case. I don't think they're anywhere near the majority of the academic community. And furthermore, I wouldn't want to work at any of those institutions since I am liberal minded myself, but the fact that I self-identify as a Christian would probably be a de facto demerit if I were to pursue a career in academia.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. My Religion
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
  2. What's your religion?
    By disregard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 848
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 04:14 AM
  3. Religion... why?
    By wyrdsister in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
  4. What religion is your bra?
    By Sahara in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 06:33 AM
  5. Brainstorming session on Religion
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO