User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    No one is asking you to have guilt. My original contention was that Christians are not persecuted. I then made an analogy of white males. You responded with the claim that white males ARE being persecuted.

Can you name ONE group who gets persecuted LESS? If you can't name one group, then white males obviously don't have it so bad. I never asked for an apology, I just wanted an admittance that Christians are NOT persecuted, which you still haven't given me.

I didn't mean to turn this into a race thing at all, (I just blurted out the white male analogy, without thinking it through). Sorry for giving such a late retort, after you answered me; I just re-discovered this thread.
    It looked as if, in earlier posts, Kiddo was saying I should have guilt.

One thing that is nice is that people don't get "persecuted" nearly as much in modern American society. And it's usually nice being a white man here. I would argue that, in my experience, white women have it at least as good as white men, if not better in the past 30 years. Let's go by some stats; look at the numbers of women getting college and postgraduate degrees vs. the number of men, or, to look at some darker statistics, sentencing for violent crimes committed by women vs. men in similar circumstances.

I wouldn't suggest that white men don't have a good shot in America. That would be laughable. I do suggest that, in some circles, being a white man (or a practicing Christian, in the original example) immediately makes you suspect, and that kind of mentality sucks.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    There were many reasons that Europeans first came to the New World, but the generally agreed upon driving force was freedom of religion.
    Oh come on, your country was settled by religious dissenters who came there not to escape persecution but to do their own persecuting.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Oh come on, your country was settled by religious dissenters who came there not to escape persecution but to do their own persecuting.
    This is true to a point. We had religious dissenters from those religious dissenters very early on. There weren't boatloads of atheists coming here at that point in history. The Pilgrims were some of the creepier Christians, though. They brought a great work ethic, but a pretty crap sense of humor and joie de vivre.

Default Ineluctable

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is true to a point. We had religious dissenters from those religious dissenters very early on. There weren't boatloads of atheists coming here at that point in history. The Pilgrims were some of the creepier Christians, though. They brought a great work ethic, but a pretty crap sense of humor and joie de vivre.
    After all, they were Puritans. And indeed they practised purity - in fact they were authentic - their purity was expressed in their personal authenticity.

They were literate - they read the Bible - and the Bible enjoined them to personal authenticity.

But the devil came on the scene in the form of the telephone and it became so tempting to be phoney.

So the struggle between good and evil became focused on authenticity and phoniness.

Just as today your culture functions on the distinction between the authentic and the phoney.

In fact your cultural distinction is so deep rooted it is a moral distinction.

If you are good, you are authentic. And if you are bad, you are phoney.

Why, even you Mercury are Pure.

Living in the City of Brotherly Love.

Talking to me over the telephone lines - and using a pseudonym - a phoney name.

So the conflict of good and evil is taking place within you as we speak -

You want to be authentic but you are ineluctably phoney.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    After all, they were Puritans. And indeed they practised purity - in fact they were authentic - their purity was expressed in their personal authenticity.

They were literate - they read the Bible - and the Bible enjoined them to personal authenticity.

But the devil came on the scene in the form of the telephone and it became so tempting to be phoney.

So the struggle between good and evil became focused on authenticity and phoniness.

Just as today your culture functions on the distinction between the authentic and the phoney.

In fact your cultural distinction is so deep rooted it is a moral distinction.

If you are good, you are authentic. And if you are bad, you are phoney.

Why, even you Mercury are Pure.

Living in the City of Brotherly Love.

Talking to me over the telephone lines - and using a pseudonym - a phoney name.

So the conflict of good and evil is taking place within you as we speak -

You want to be authentic but you are ineluctably phoney.
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. . . Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth. "

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. . . Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth. "
    And when you can fake sincerity, you got it made.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Is there actually a group of people who aren't persecuted for one thing or another? I'm fairly sure that any demographic carries with it certain stigmas.
    I actually asked one of my professors this question and she came up with a pretty resounding "yes". Her reasoning is that in order to persecute a group, other groups have to force it into a preconceived mold of how people in that group are supposed to act. Groups of privilege such as whites and Christians are not easily forced into such a mold, therefore they can't truly be considered persecuted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I actually asked one of my professors this question and she came up with a pretty resounding "yes". Her reasoning is that in order to persecute a group, other groups have to force it into a preconceived mold of how people in that group are supposed to act. Groups of privilege such as whites and Christians are not easily forced into such a mold, therefore they can't truly be considered persecuted.
    A professor is maybe the last person I would ask about such things.

MBTI
    OMNi

One thing that is nice is that people don't get "persecuted" nearly as much in modern American society.
    There are two downsides to that kind of thinking.

1. If you look at the stats, the wage gap between men and women, as well as between whites and other races, has not decreased within the last 30 years.

2. The creepy libertarians are always attacking every piece of anti-discrimination legislation in Congress, citing that, despite the currently existing social and economic inequalities, minority groups should not be protected from discrimination. A good part of the reason why all those racist groups love to support candidates like Ron Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.