User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Wealthy People More Likely to Be Unethical

I know, do we even need an article on this? Is this not "common knowledge".

It's a short read.

Article

Before I even read it I already disagreed. ENTITLED people are the most likely to be unethical, commit crimes, and be jerks to other people who they feel are not equals (and most people are not equals). Being wealthy doesn't turn everyone into arrogant jerks, looks at Warren Buffet. Compare heirs and heiresses and how they act compared to how they were raised and how much, if any, family money they are given.

And ENTITLED people are not necessarily the wealthiest or highest on the socio economic ladder, they just wish they were or think they are.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned

Unethical? Weird word...

There are only actions...and people who perceive those actions as ethical/unethical.

Permabanned

dp, and not the good kind (too far?)

MBTI
    ESFJ

My brain just melted in protest against th i s ... re ... se a r c ...
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Smells like BS, but so does the claim that this is "class warfare". I'm so sick of that label. Republicans throw it around to avoid even discussing the issue of wealth/income inequality.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think there is truth to the article. That is - I have seen a number of successful people who take advantage of others or who are not generally not very nice people. Though I don't have scientific data to back it up, it appears to me to be a larger percentage than the average in our population. I don't know if they got that way after they made their money or if acting in a greedy, deceptive or self interested manner is what helped to them to get more material possessions in the first place. It seems that the more money people make, the more they want. I haven't quite understood this because there is a point at which it simply isn't relevant anymore to quality of life or security.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

This isn't scientific, and really it has little to do with wealth in and of itself, but I've had a theory that success as we define it in most professional arenas creates (or at least encourages) sociopathic behavior.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ESFJ

I think it does come down to entitlement. Actually, I think the real issue is valuing of the self. If you perceive yourself to be more important than others, you will justify self-interest and even antisocial behaviors more. In my experience, I've seen a large and dichotomous spread within wealthy people between those with excellent manners and regard for social niceties and those who believe that EVERYTHING they do is of the utmost importance, and fuck everyone else's day. It is also readily apparent in the elderly. Some are the nicest, sweetest people who want nothing more than to brighten people's days, and some don't give a shit about anyone else and what they are doing.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, entitlement may be an issue, but what's the difference? I'm not sure about the scientific validity of this particular study, but most firsthand accounts more or less support this. For example, a friend of mine worked in a very high-end Salon in the heart of Manhattan for a year. Clients included movie stars and the like who spent more on their haircuts than most people make in at least a month. She claimed it was a terrible job, that the clients treated her worse than anyone else she had ever had to deal with, and she used to work as a random canvasser, someone people are often openly hostile to/annoyed by.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

FigerPuppet

We already discussed this in another thread a few months ago. Go look for it.

Basically, wealth/power does not corrupt. But the corrupt tend to be more wealthy/powerful. That is the only reasonable conclusion, IF there is indeed a larger percentage of "unethical" people in the upper caste than in any other castes.

And that's a big if. There aren't any statistics backing this belief up, and you'll have a difficult time thinking of a method to come up one. I suspect this perception of "evil rich people" is just working-class narrow-mindedness and jealousy. Wealthy people are probably not any more "unethical" than a typical middle-class person.