User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Every dollar produced devalues every dollar. You cannot actually make any people rich by piling extra printed money on them.
    There is a difference between creating new wealth and simply making new money. I was pointing out that economic growth can be real and not just nominal. There are a finite number of dollars at any given time, but that number should rise if new wealth is being generated.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    If you're incompetent, you'd better at least be nice - then you have a chance of getting someone else to help you.
    If you're competent, you have less need of being nice. (And it will probably benefit you not to be nice, since being too nice will allow others to take advantage of your competence.)
    This is why I am not surprised at the study. Wealth is independence. Independent people need less help from others, so they have a lessor need to care about what others think.

figsfiggyfigs

Sometimes the climb to power requires one to make tough decisions. They are only tough because their consequence will have a positive and negative outcome. Positive for what one is striving for and negative for everything else.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

@Not_Me's last post made me think of this quote.

"The poor are the most grateful people in the world, and, let me tell you, they have more friends in their neighborhoods than the rich have in theirs." Senator George W. Plunkitt (Circa 1905)

I would argue that the rich are more likely to be unethical for a variety of reasons.
    (1) Their wealth means they are not reliant on others; this independence grants a degree of freedom in personal interaction. If you're the sort of person who wouldn't be a dick to your roommate/coworker/what-have-you simply because you rely on them (or because they could make your life hell) then wealth would very quickly strip away niceties and learned traits that allow you to function as what most people would call, "an ethical person"

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln.

And, because I'm a fan of the philosophical points made in "The Dark Knight"

"their morals, their code... it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you, when the chips are down, these... these civilized people? They'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve."

Except in this case it's not dropped because of trouble - it's dropped (as much as they can get away with) because they CAN. Because their wealth gives them power, and places them effectively "above the law", and allows them to disregard ethics. It's an uncommon kind of person who will hold to their ethics when they have no reason to.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think there there is some truth to the idea, but I agree with the OP that it comes from a sense of entitlement. I think when a person has a great characteristic like extreme intelligence, wealth, or beauty they have a strong feeling of power and they assume others feel this way too and are frustrated when someone "doesn't get it." I think that experience gap leads to misunderstanding and treatment of the other person as a thing.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think there there is some truth to the idea, but I agree with the OP that it comes from a sense of entitlement. I think when a person has a great characteristic like extreme intelligence, wealth, or beauty they have a strong feeling of power and they assume others feel this way too and are frustrated when someone "doesn't get it." I think that experience gap leads to misunderstanding and treatment of the other person as a thing.
    I can attest to that. I find with my significant other and some of my friends that they often feel I am talking down to them, when I really feel as if I am treating them as being on my same level. I get frustrated if they don't understand what I am talking about because I assume that they will get it if I explain myself. The communication breakdown isn't that I think they are unintelligent. It's that I think they are so intelligent that they must not be trying hard enough to get it. It took me years to understand that. I operate off the assumption that everyone can see what I see and discern what is going on, when that may not be true at all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I can attest to that. I find with my significant other and some of my friends that they often feel I am talking down to them, when I really feel as if I am treating them as being on my same level. I get frustrated if they don't understand what I am talking about because I assume that they will get it if I explain myself. The communication breakdown isn't that I think they are unintelligent. It's that I think they are so intelligent that they must not be trying hard enough to get it. It took me years to understand that. I operate off the assumption that everyone can see what I see and discern what is going on, when that may not be true at all.
    Or, perhaps you are just a detestable mansplainer?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Default Michigan woman still collecting food stamps after winning $1 million lottery

Michigan woman still collecting food stamps after winning $1 million lottery

I would consider this unethical. I never really thought about lottery winners (when they're unemployed) still being able to claim state aid. >>

They're less likely to feel fondly about Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit. Back in December, a woman in Washington State fell under scrutiny when it was revealed she was receiving state economic benefits even though she lives in a $1 million waterfront home on Lake Washington.

Clayton, who says she owns two homes and a new car, receives $200 a month in food assistance from the state-issued Michigan Bridge Card, which is meant to benefit lower-income residents in the nation's eigth most economically depressed state.

Twenty-five percent of Michigan's residents receive some form of food assistance from the state. The state's unemployment rate is 9.3 percent, more than a full point above the national average, but has dropped from a 10.4 percent peak in August.

And Clayton isn't embarrassed about living off the state even though she now finds herself in the nation's top tax bracket. "I mean I kinda do," Clayton told Local 4 when asked if she had a "right" to the government welfare.
    I like the idea of a bill forcing the state to investigate lottery winners to see if they're receiving government assistance, however I think $1,000 is too low of a threshold. >>

Clayton downplayed her wealth, saying she took the $1 million in a lump sump, which meant about half immediately went to taxes. "I feel that it's OK because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay," she said. "I have two houses."

Her story has already caught attention locally, where state Republican Rep. Dale Zorn has sponsored a bill preventing individuals like Clayton from taking state financial assistance.

"Public assistance should be given to those who are in need of public assistance, not those who have found riches," Zorn told Local 4. The bill, which has already passed the state House and has a sister bill in the Senate, would require the state to cross check the names of lottery winners over $1,000 to see if they are also receiving state financial benefits.
    Edit: meaning I think people should have to have won more money than that to be investigated. Seriously, how far is a thousand bucks gonna get you nowadays if you're not working?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Edit: meaning I think people should have to have won more money than that to be investigated. Seriously, how far is a thousand bucks gonna get you nowadays if you're not working?
    If you live in shitty apartment next to a meth lab and eat rice and frozen vegetables? 1k could last two or three months, depending on where you live. Maybe they should push that up to 20-25k. Another example of why we should be pushing our legislatures to pass laws that are intelligible and calculated, while decreasing the total number of laws. It's so much easier to figure out if you're doing something illegal when the laws are straightforward and few in number.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

I heard wealthy people are more likely to have penises than vaginas.