First 23456 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Power corrupts.

Money = Power.

Feeling entitled + Money/Power = Corrupt.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Also Money = Feelings of entitlement.

A lot of men dont feel that they are entitled to use someone for sex, until they have money and enter into a contract to do so.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Also Money = Feelings of entitlement.

A lot of men dont feel that they are entitled to use someone for sex, until they have money and enter into a contract to do so.
    Haha. I won't even bother dissecting that post.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    This isn't scientific, and really it has little to do with wealth in and of itself, but I've had a theory that success as we define it in most professional arenas creates (or at least encourages) sociopathic behavior.
    This is a well-established, and tested theory. Something like 1% of people in the general population are psychopaths, rising to 10% or more amongst CEOs and other high-flyers.

There can be no doubt that it is easier to become rich and powerful if one does not encumber oneself with ethical considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Success as "we" define it is the acquisition of power (via wealth and status), and to acquire this kind of power requires that we take it away from someone else.
    Indeed. All resources are finite, to take more than our fair share is tantamount to an act of theft.

EDIT. I just read the article. I'm not sure I agree with their definition of "unethical"...

One reason for the correlation may be that the rich are less dependent on social bonds for survival, in turn putting their self-interest first while holding fewer qualms for behaving badly toward others, the researchers suggested.
    I have found it to be the case that the more independent / capable a person is (though not necessarily wealthy), the less concerned they are about how others perceive them. This is borne out by the results from a nationwide study in the UK which showed that low scores on (Big 5) "Agreeableness", correlate with greater success in the workplace, particularly for women. I cited this elsewhere and can't be bothered to find it again.
    /disagreeable
    It ties in with other theories that people are essentially nice for selfish reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    This is a well-established, and tested theory. Something like 1% of people in the general population are psychopaths, rising to 10% or more amongst CEOs and other high-flyers.
    I think the rule of thumb is that around 20-25% of the prison population qualifies as psychopathic. The rate for CEOs and upper-level executives is around 4%, while the rate is 1% (as you said) in the general population. Certainly "getting away with it" is the main factor for those without a conscience.

I also think that seeing oneself as superior and with few peers can lead to shabby treatment of others. I think perhaps it's partially a downside of in-group loyalty (for those who are group loyalty oriented). Once one sees oneself as a member of the moneyed/successful/superior, regular people become an "out group" not worthy of respect (as in social dominance theory).

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This is borne out by the results from a nationwide study in the UK which showed that low scores on (Big 5) "Agreeableness", correlate with greater success in the workplace, particularly for women. I cited this elsewhere and can't be bothered to find it again.
    /disagreeable
    It ties in with other theories that people are essentially nice for selfish reasons.

I'm confused by this last part. You say that people act nice for selfish reasons, but that having low agreeableness makes you more successful. If both premises are true, then I would take that to mean a lot of people who are acting selfish don't even know how to do it effectively, since being nice would be disadvantageous.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm confused by this last part. You say that people act nice for selfish reasons, but that having low agreeableness makes you more successful. If both premises are true, then I would take that to mean a lot of people who are acting selfish don't even know how to do it effectively, since being nice would be disadvantageous.
    I covered this earlier. If you're incompetent, you'd better at least be nice - then you have a chance of getting someone else to help you.
    If you're competent, you have less need of being nice. (And it will probably benefit you not to be nice, since being too nice will allow others to take advantage of your competence.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Indeed. All resources are finite, to take more than our fair share is tantamount to an act of theft.
    Two problematic ideas in this post.

1) Money is not a finite resource. Wealth is created every single day. There is no giant pie that is divvied up. There are hundreds of millions of small meals made all the time.

2) What is '"our fair share," and who decides how much is fair?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Two problematic ideas in this post.

1) Money is not a finite resource. Wealth is created every single day. There is no giant pie that is divvied up. There are hundreds of millions of small meals made all the time.
    Every dollar produced devalues every dollar. You cannot actually make any people rich by piling extra printed money on them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

You don't become rich by being generous. (i bet theres an exception/s somewhere). A lot of wealthy people are blinded by the fear that people are trying to take their money and they die clutching their pennies wearing not a smile.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"