User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Apparently, among other fun tidbits, CBS offered him a reality TV show.
    God I hate the entertainment business and their ideas sometimes.

http://www.zdnet.com/tb/1-115427?tag...115427_2325993
    Millions of "adults" have......
    @Pete "athynz" Athens

(adult) children and have done/are doing a poor job parenting them, so just being a parent establishes no credibility whatsoever. Parenting is one of the most important jobs we do as adults, and while good parenting principles are well established, there are no requirements to have any relevant skills or knowledge whatsoever to become a parent.

We know next to NOTHING about this young woman's childhood and upbringing, but we DO know that her father's attempt in question at parenting is less than satisfactory. His current act is probably indicative of the rest of his parenting style.

We have a much better basis for commenting on him as a parent than on his daughter as young woman. Judging by many of the comments to this blog, perhaps it is not surprising that the US has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. Putting a bullet through your child's laptop fits that pattern all too well.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    It's interesting that, amidst all the public backlash, he has been saying things like, "she's a really great kid, I'm proud of her 95% of the time, but it was just this once instance blah blah blah."

What I feel like is happening here is that he knows deep down that he overreacted dramatically and publicly (like, in my opinion, a bad father), but he's trying to convince himself and the world that he was really acting with her best interests in mind and that he perhaps regrets doing this because it's brought what wasn't a very big deal and would probably only be fully understood by family members to the attention of a shit-load of people.

You can't convince me that he was acting in her best interest. If that were the case, everything would have been considerably more thought out, there would have been no guns needed to make a point and he wouldn't have been talking with such a shaky, I'm-about-to-go-out-of-control voice.

No, this was just a selfish lash of anger and not a real attempt to school his child. Very immature.
    The Ne is strong with this one.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

At least we know where she got her drama queen, attention whoring, facebook spamming genes from.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP

I think that's the funniest thing I've seen all week....

He overreacted (I actually think posting this on Facebook was a helluva lot worse than shooting the Laptop or grounding her for a long time), but his daughter sounds like a humongously spoiled little brat. Wish I had more information to go on, but then, it shouldn't have been any of our business to begin with.

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Somehow I think this is a publicity stunt. You know, take an obsolete laptop and an over the top personality then mix in a little paid advertising along the way. Reason being if he had the right to destroy the laptop he would have the right to sell it, and if he was so concerned about the justice on the matter to shoot a laptop he would know it would be no lesson to his daughter to shoot his own pocket-book in the process, especially true as he comes off as money-conscience.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If it was a publicity stunt, why did he pull back from the myriad media opportunities and possible financial gain?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If it was a publicity stunt, why did he pull back from the myriad media opportunities and possible financial gain?
    "In statement, refuses interviews as he does not want to benefit from incident, though has now monetized video for 'attorney's fees'"

Not sure if that's true, but if it were a hoax he'd have good reason to avoid people prying into the facts and risk being publicly exposed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Facebook parenting: For the troubled teen. What is your opinion?

A 15 year old girl posted on facebook saying she was upset, she had to do lots of chores and her life is unfair. Her dad didn't like it, made a response video and shot her laptop. What is your opinion about it?

Her dad's blog about the episode with the video: http://8minutesoffame.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

We already had a huge discussion on this, maybe the threads should be merged.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft