User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

an attention whore father who likes complaining about his family matters to a public audience ended up with a daughter exactly like him. shocking. i don't think what he did was completely terrible or anything, but i'm sure it's not going to accomplish anything parenting-wise. basically all he's doing is stooping to her level, not setting a good example.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think the kid needed a responsibilities/freedoms smackdown, absolutely. But the dad chose a method out of hurt and anger rather than cooling off and waiting until he could discipline her in a dignified (read: non-viral) way.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    But seriously, with a parent that reacts like that to a 15 year old girl venting on facebook, it is no surprise that she reacts like she does to what is also hardly anything. The mere fact that the post was hidden from her parents means that it was just venting and clearly not an actual list of grievances. Also, being 15 IS hard. Adults don't usually remember that.
    Exactly... she goes and finds another outlet instead of talking back to them, and she's punished? I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    The guy is a douche, though. I've known a lot of assholes like him...where every act of giving, including basic provisions, is a form of leverage. It seems like he's the type that gets her stuff in order to lord it over her - as a form of power. "I gave it to you so I can take it away when you don't do what I want." Also, the way he talked about how much more he did when he was her age (plus the whole "get a job" thing) smacks of narcissism.

Sure, there are wily little asshole kids, but you can usually distinguish them because the parent comes off as reasonable (if not sometimes a little weak.) He didn't.

I tend to think the whole chores thing is just an obfuscation on his part. What person with any sense at all is going to disagree that doing a few things around the house is not an unreasonable expectation? I figure, unless I'm totally wrong about the girl and she's just a "bad seed" or something, that the situation is more that she's being made to feel like she's lazy, spoiled, unproductive, and ungrateful IF it appears that doing X, Y, or Z (things he wants her to do) is not important to her. So if it slips her mind, she gets punished, not because it didn't get done, but because her failure to do it indicates (to him) that she doesn't respect his authority, and that she doesn't think those things are important. Like with the job...why does he want her to have one so badly? Nobody goes through that much trouble to coerce their school-aged kid into getting a job unless (1) they're poor and it's necessary, or (2) the parents think that the kid is not doing anything else worthwhile with their time. Since they're obviously well enough off to afford to throw away a laptop, I'm assuming that #1 is out of the question.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I remember growing up all the times I thought my parents were being totally unreasonable and *I* was the one being reasonable. But, as Mark Twain said: "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
    If there is some magical shift out there, it's not from 14 to 21. I'm past 21 and overly domineering parents still haven't learned a thing :P That whole "you'll understand when you're older" thing still sounds like a tactic.
    Tune into Ventrilo weeknights between 6pm and 1am PST for continuation of universe dominating shenanigans and occassional type-related propaganda.........

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Someone had suggested that he could have donated her computer to charity. Much better than putting bullets in it.
    ... oh, but it doesn't play NEARLY as well on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    That whole "you'll understand when you're older" thing still sounds like a tactic.
    Which kinda sucks. I've been on both sides on the fence, and to be honest, there's number of things now that i could say fall into the "you'll understand when you're older" category... but unfortunately, regardless of how true it is, it's an argument doomed to failure and just sounds like a blowoff line.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Exactly... she goes and finds another outlet instead of talking back to them, and she's punished? I don't get it...
    Ah, I see, it isn't bad behavior, it's an "outlet". Good to know!

If there is some magical shift out there, it's not from 14 to 21. I'm past 21 and overly domineering parents still haven't learned a thing :P That whole "you'll understand when you're older" thing still sounds like a tactic.
    Yeah, that is what we all told ourselves.

Re: Twain - 21 yrs old in the 19th century likely maps to about age 30 in the 21st.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Im glad I skipped my teenage years...err...wait, does that mean I am gonna experience them when I am old?
    You have your second childhood to look forward to.

Growing old gracefully is growing into your second childhood.

MBTI
    intp

I had a parent that tended to blow up and overreact in similar, if less public ways (throwing things, arbitrary and out-of-proportion punishments, hurtful comments and name-calling). Our relationship was and still is absolutely horrible. Hopefully this is just one-off idiocy and not indicative of their general relationship.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I'm likely digging myself a grave -since I'm still new to this site- by voicing my opinions. Ahe-he-hem.

Neither of them carry my sympathy. This is all I see from the video:
    >A rude, immature girl who's complaining for only little reason
    >An over-controlling, immature father with anger-management issues and an unjust sense of punishment

What she did was dumb. Yes, it was her opinion. No, that doesn't mean she should say it on Facebook. The best thing for her to do was to force her father and mother to sit down with her, and then tell them what she feels.

What the father did in response was just as moronic. He created an even bigger boundary between him and his snotty little spawn. He reacted without first calming himself down. He made it out as if he was the victim, and didn't look at it from her perspective. That wasn't a good punishment, either.

As for the chores, they do need to be done. But as someone said before, their stories don't match up. I can't tell who's exaggerating. The father seems to have unrealistic expectations. I'm just making a big assumption here, but it's possible the teen might actually be kind of forgetful, and she gets punished for it. I might have to take a side closer to her's on this issue, however. If he wants all that stuff done so badly, why can't he do it himself? Not to say she should be chore-free, but the floor-mopping thing made me roll my eyes. But I am going back to the father's side when it comes to how she's complaining. You know, chores don't have to be boring. She probably could have played music while doing them or something. That's what I do.

Their relationship really could be worked on. I'm grateful for having a pleasant and honest relationship with my parents. They, on the other hand, are just doomed to fail unless they both grow up in different ways.

When I have children, if one of them did that...Well, they wouldn't do it in the first place. I'm sensing some fail parenting techniques from him.
    people who expect a change
    who can't throw away their humanity
    who stay idle in growth
    who won't dirty their hands
    those are the most terrifying of monsters

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think the kid needed a responsibilities/freedoms smackdown, absolutely. But the dad chose a method out of hurt and anger rather than cooling off and waiting until he could discipline her in a dignified (read: non-viral) way.
    Best point in thread.

Although he also sought to discipline by providing hurt, pain based parenting is crap, also further hurt to someone whose already hurt isnt likely to provide results.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

http://mashable.com/2012/02/11/dad-a...51-Never-again

Here's a link to more info from the dad, from last week, culled from his FaceBook pages, since he has avoided going through conventional media channels (not having expected the degree of notoriety as he received). Looks like he discovered her page through no particular savy, but only that she forgot to block her page from the family dog and he saw it when he was uploading on the dog's page.

...Apparently, among other fun tidbits, CBS offered him a reality TV show.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft